Poll: Which countries would you invite?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Should the United States found an alliance of stratocratic, militarist nations?

An idea I have been toying with is the United States leading a global alliance of nations with comparable values. For instance, we would invite countries like Israel, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland and potentially others. This alliance of free states would work together to promote economic cooperation, as well as cultural and political exchanges among it's member states. Our main goal, however, would be to promote our values and combat global security issues cooperatively. Think of it as a modern day version of the Baltic Entente or the Anti-Comintern Pact.

Would would you think of such a proposal|?

Err.... Isn't this NATO?
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Err.... Isn't this NATO?
    NATO is a regional collective security organization, not an international alliance dedicated to promoting freedom and stratocracy.

Switzerland...?

I mean, they may build stuff and shit, but they are not a regional military power or anything.

How about... no. Any longterm plan for humanity that relies on military hegemony is not a good idea.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Roveredo View Post
    Switzerland...?

I mean, they may build stuff and shit, but they are not a regional military power or anything.
    They are a very respectable nation that shares our values, unlike most of Europe. Though they tend to keep to themselves, so they aren't the most likely partner.

Deleted
    I don't see the point. So called western values are spreading well-enough as is.

Naaa, I think we would just end up doing the heavy lifting anyway.

No Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    No Canada?
    Yeah it is kinda funny that you would include the UAE, but not Canada.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, see World War 1.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

So you want something like BRICS? Let's face it, the only way United States has to stay a superpower is by either invading a country (as always) or make an alliance with Russia or China, and that's not gonna happen.

And i'm just going to sit here, drinking a beer watching people kill each other =P

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Naaa, I think we would just end up doing the heavy lifting anyway.
    I agree. All it would end up doing is furthering our obligations overseas. Making promises on paper gets really tricky when other people actually try to hold you to them.

Quote Originally Posted by maxehhh View Post
    So you want something like BRICS? Let's face it, the only way United States has to stay a superpower is by either invading a country (as always) or make an alliance with Russia or China, and that's not gonna happen.

And i'm just going to sit here, drinking a beer watching people kill each other =P
    Ahhhh, an Argentinian pontificating, how sweet.

Because you guys never exercise imperialistic goals *cough Falkland islands cough*

10+ Year Old Account
    Stratocracy? Hell no.

10+ Year Old Account
    America, England, Israel, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Canada, and Finland would be ideal, I think.

Ummmm... don't we have something like this already called "The United Nations"?

Why do you want to create a new one? Are you John McCain or something wanting a "League of Nations" crap or something? :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Stratocracy? Hell no.
    I was wondering what the hell that word meant... looked it up:

A stratocracy (from στρατός, stratos, "army" and κράτος, kratos, "dominion", "power") is a form of government headed by military chiefs.[1] It is not the same as a military dictatorship or military junta where the military's political power is not enforced or even supported by other laws. Rather, stratocracy is a form of military government in which the state and the military are traditionally or constitutionally the same entity, and government positions are always occupied by military leaders. Citizens with mandatory and/or voluntary military service, or who have been honorably discharged, have the right to elect and/or govern. The military's political power is supported by law and the society. A stratocracy therefore does not have to be autocratic by nature in order to preserve its right to rule.
    Military ruled government? HELLS NO, thank you!

Last Military leader we had changed the Pledge of Allegiance to insert the words "Under God" in it. We don't need that kind of thinking again...

I've seen Starship Troopers. That's not the kind of gov I want or do we need.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-10-24 at 05:17 AM.

Tried taking it seriously. Didn't see 5 Eyes, France, Germany. Uhhhhh.... I wouldn't want to do this without our goddamned allies at least, no....

Edit: And Japan is literally as far from a stratocracy as I think is possible? Not that most of those are close at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    The United States would end up supplying the vast majority of military might to any such "Alliance..." Just reasserting the Notion that the USA has to be the World Police, except other countries that are part of this alliance would now be able to "lobby them" and other countries with no stake in the matter to intervene on their behalf with more authority.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Ummmm... don't we have something like this already called "The United Nations"?

Why do you want to create a new one? Are you John McCain or something wanting a "League of Nations" crap or something? :P

- - - Updated - - -

I was wondering what the hell that word meant... looked it up:

Military ruled government? HELLS NO, thank you!

Last Military leader we had changed the Pledge of Allegiance to insert the words "Under God" in it. We don't need that kind of thinking again...

I've seen Starship Troopers. That's not the kind of gov I want or do we need.
    I envisage something in between Singapore and Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

Also, the movie is supposed to be a comedy and is pretty terrible. If you want to know what Heinlein actually thought, I would recommend reading the book, as the movie is a total misrepresentation of his views.
    Last edited by Nakura Chambers; 2013-10-24 at 05:38 AM.