Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Looks like someone wants to kill WoW

Gold sellers will enjoy this.

10+ Year Old Account
    It did not take months of farming to get flying in TBC. Hell, I am terrible with making gold and it didn't even take months to get epic flying. I did have to do some farming to get eventually get my alts epic flying, but every one of them was able to buy the regular flying training and mount at soon as they leveled. You are either really, really bad as saving gold or are just not remembering things correctly.

As long as Blizzard continues to put content that is only reachable with a flying mount, as they have done since flying mounts were introduced, they should not require any form of farming. You should be able to make enough gold from questing to be able to buy it. That's not how gold sinks should work. The basic ability to fly should be available to everyone with ease and then add in special flying mounts that require large amounts of gold and/or weeks of dailies or farming to get.

I've already bought my flying mount and training in multiple forms of riding weather; I do not need to buy it again...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Of-the-horde View Post
    Indeed took me like two weeks of skinning to get epic flying.. because i kept wasting my gold on boe epix
    Took me about a week or two of flying around herbing nightmare vine in Shadowmoon Valley, thankfully as a druid, I could herb most of the time and completely avoid combat

i remember flying around nagrand on my paladin at level 70 on my 60% speed flying mount, farming adamantite and fel iron to sell on the AH so i could save up the 5k needed for epic flying.

whilst i slowly and methodically flew around my farming route, i would frequently be overtaken by those with the 280% flying mounts who would fly in, grab the ore themselves and shoot off to the next ore, leaving me to fly pretty much an entire lap around the map again to find another node.

now, imagine that with a ground mount. you would pull everything in sight to get a to a node, whilst a player with flying would just land straight on top of it mine it and then fuck off again to the next one. in the time it would take you to find 1 node, fight off the mobs you pulled whilst getting to it and then eventually mining it - the guy with flying already has a dozen stacks of the stuff and is off to the AH.

whilst this kind of gameplay isn't gamebreaking, as it happens every time a new expansion hits - for that to last longer than a few weeks would cause uproar. everyone trying to level their professions and gathering skills would get outpaced and outfarmed by those with flying mounts. blizz countered this a little in MoP with the amount of ghost iron nodes, but to put a big grind inbetween flying and not flying drives a huge divide between those with the time to farm and those without and when farming is already favourable towards those with more time to play, you are just going to exacerbate the issue.

i understand your intentions, but i think the way it works at the moment with flying on mainland and restricted flying on "patch islands" is a reasonable compromise. if there was a way to hire minions to go farm for you, so you didn't need to run around gathering i may support your idea a little more, but as flying mounts > ground mounts for any gathering profession, it'd be a very unfair system. tbc got away with it, as it was the first introduction to flying - but now flying has been around for 3 more expansions it wont work to try and re-invent it. it's easier to have restricted flying area's/zones
    <insert witty signature here>

Deleted
    I would like something like dragon flying in MOP, few quests, some gold and that's it.
    In TBC I had enough money for flying just from leveling, and I think the price in gold is too high even now for casuals like me - not really got time for farming, and at my serv ally is almost dead so even trying to sell anything in AH is painfull etc. It would be nicer when you have something to achieve, not only right amount of money in your pocket, it is just not really game-connected. I like the lore, I like being involved.

So quest-line (not easy, maybe sth close to legendary quests), maybe just a few dailies (I hate dailies, because I don't have time everyday so MOP was pain in the ass for me with that),and coins, all combined for the new flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    First of all, I personally love flying mounts in WoW but I think flying at max level is too easily obtainable. Do you remember days back in TBC? You had do farm your gold FOR MONTHS to learn flying and to buy your first mount. And yeah, when you've finally bought it, you felt like you achieved something big. And now in MoP all you have to do is to get your character to 90th level, and then buy "flying in pandaria" for a very cheap price. That's not how it should work.
    So here's my idea:

Let's say, there will be a lot of factions in the next expansion (just like in MoP). To raise your reputation with those factions of course you would have to do dailies or events (like in BF: Barrens or Timeless Isle). But those activities would also provide something like timeless coins. And to learn flying in the continent that will be added in the next expansion, you would have to pay a lot of those timeless coins. I mean really... A LOT. A grind would take maybe around few months but then you would again feel that you've achieved something - after all this hard work, now you can fly on your mount on the new continent.

And the reason why I think flying should be avalaible for currency similiar to timeless coins is because nowadays there is a lot of rich people in WoW so if flying would cost for example 50k gold, it wouldn't be any problem for rich people to buy it.

Discuss this idea.

I've also made the same topic on the official WoW forums, so if you like this idea, also post there so maybe someone from Blizzard will see it: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...44394?page=1#0
    Do you remember years and years back.. when we didn't have electricity? I think they should increase the price of electricity 20 fold.... it is a privilege to have it!
    Sounds stupid, right?
    Now, think about that and also think about development!

Stop living in the past and join us in the present, headed for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Boblet View Post
    Uh, no? I was able to buy my basic flying as soon as I hit 70. Epic flying certainly didn't take MONTHS of farming either. Maybe a month if you weren't heavily invested in doing it.
    Look at this guy that didn't buy his epic mount in BC. In WoTLK (when you obviously started playing), it was a bit easier.

I have enough gold so this wouldn't be a problem for me but no, that is way too much and you should think about the people without gold aswell, flying is really not that special.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    Look at this guy that didn't buy his epic mount in BC. In WoTLK (when you obviously started playing), it was a bit easier.
    It was never hard. At most, time consuming. But it never took months of non-stop farming unless you farmed the completely wrong crap.

Here is a better idea to the people who bitch and moan to all the flying.... Summon that ground mount and ride around to your hearts content. Bring back that nolstigia. If thats really what you are after. I like my flying. I like it cheap and thats the way it will stay.
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's say, there will be a lot of factions in the next expansion (just like in MoP). To raise your reputation with those factions of course you would have to do dailies or events (like in BF: Barrens or Timeless Isle). But [SNIP]

After grinding all the major factions to exhalted on my main (save Black Prince, Shaohao and Sunreaver Onslaught), I really had no want or will to do so with my alts. Proposing even MORE rep-grinding for something like the ability to fly in the next expansion at this point would simply make me say SCREW THAT NOISE. I'd ride everywhere on my ground mount(s) if I needed to be in such a new area, and when I did what I needed to, I could go grab a chair in whatever the next Shrine-type place will be (or go chill back in Org) and call it a day.

#FlightIsImportant

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Being a druid, you mean all 2 gold flying cost?
    Well, actually it was 8g, and no, I mean Artisan riding, 280%

Just out of curiosity (personally I wouldn't use flying if this happened) but what if they removed the ability to dismount players from flying mounts in the next expansion, but made some kind of system where the act of mounting up (specifically for flying mounts in the new zones) deducted say, 1-5 gold from your bags? Based on the average player's gold- something nominal but not like silver or copper.

That way people could still fly if they want, but they'd be encouraged not to, while the option to skip content remains for a relatively low price, but one you wouldn't want to repeat too often without a fair amount of gold. It'd also encourage the use of flying to be for longer trips than mount-move-100-yards-dismount-pick-herb-or-mine-mount-move-100-yards etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    In BC, buying your flying mount was a milestone. These days, it's just part of the leveling experience.

Players are already used to flying. Taking it away at this point in the game or hiding it behind your suggested grind is absurd.

Your idea is terrible.
    It's like Arenas or LFR, you can't take away something that was given to players or there would be huge uprorars. If they remove Flying Mount access they better remove Arenas & LFR with it.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Regular (slower than ground mount) flying was like 500 gold, plus another 50-100 or so for the mount. A few weeks to a month of farming could get you the 5000 needed for epic flying (plus the 100 or so gold for an epic mount).
    Last edited by Rixis; 2013-10-24 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    That way people could still fly if they want, but they'd be encouraged not to, while the option to skip content remains for a relatively low price, but one you wouldn't want to repeat too often without a fair amount of gold. It'd also encourage the use of flying to be for longer trips than mount-move-100-yards-dismount-pick-herb-or-mine-mount-move-100-yards etc.
    Paying to show your new mount to your friends :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    It was never hard. At most, time consuming. But it never took months of non-stop farming unless you farmed the completely wrong crap.
    Never said it was hard. Your argument is what exactly?

snip
    I'd like that it would be available only after a massive grind such as timeless coins yes. Then again (even tho I wish they never implemented flying) whenever I am leveling in a new expansion, I am really looking forward to hit maxlevel so I can fly again.

I do not wish this to be super expensive as I do not have the time to grind that much gold. You could say that coins equals gold, but gold you can spend on so much anyway. If you are already poor, and not an AH player, you won't earn massive amounts of gold quick. In the meantime you spend gold on repairs and other stuff that you need aswell. Coins on the other hand you can just save.

So I would support the coins idea. But I would like coins to be amassed from the moment you get into the new expansion. And if you did all the quests you had perhaps 75% done.