Rarest Mount Ever!

Ok I need some help, so the question came up in gchat about the rarest mount. I pitched in with a story and need to check I am not going crazy...

Story goes that a back in vanilla a GM replaced a players Mechanostrider, but accidentally sent him a color that wasn't available from the vendor, and he kept it. So technically even though its not particularly awesome in appearance, it the only one ever to exist. I believe its was something like Phosphorus Mechanostrider, I am sure I read about it on wowhead but I can't find anything on guildox, wowmounts, wowhead est.

Am I going crazy or did this happen?

10+ Year Old Account
    Story is true. It's not that it never existed, it's just that since very early launch, it's been replaced by the Mechanostriders we see now. It's why next to mount vendors there's a guy with a blue question mark to trade in the old mounts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Story is true. It's not that it never existed, it's just that since very early launch, it's been replaced by the Mechanostriders we see now. It's why next to mount vendors there's a guy with a blue question mark to trade in the old mounts.
    No, those are the mounts you need to have for the Feat of Strength "Old School Ride". This particular mount was NEVER available for purchase.

Awesome thank you! I can return with this titbit to my guild and retain my sanity