Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Funny that you'd say that, since that's what you did.

They are truths. An area is not a zone. A zone contains many areas, but an area contains zero zones. Semantic or not, still truth.

Flight is not required. It is a perk, and not fundamental. You have done nothing to prove your thought other than point out it is a perk and call it fundamental, and all you do in return is say my arguments are semantics, while calling your statements (Which are also only half truths at best) facts. The truth of the matter is, flight is a perk that developers can choose to design around if they feel like it. It is not fundamental. You can try to say it is all you want, but if it doesn't have to be there, it's not fundamental, else it would be everywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

A rare is not fundamental either. Nor is pet battling. That does not make flight fundamental, especially since NPCs will be placed wherever the devs feel like placing them.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not arguing for flight to be removed. I'm arguing that flight is not fundamental. I actually don't mind if flight stays, but to say it is anything more than a perk is a flawed argument.
    It may not be fundamental to you but it is to a lot of people, nice try trying to take facts and twist them though. 80 percent of tillers daily require flight, one entire mantid island requires flight to do the dailies there. If you hunt rares or do pet battles these areas are fundamental. Yes the npcs can be arbitrarily placed anywhere but they were specifically placed in areas that can only be accessed via flight. You can stop now, silly work arounds to facts are still silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope it takes place underground so flying gets restricted.

Edit: I just feel like we need something new.

Timeless Isle (Which is an actual zone) says you are incorrect.
    As does the Isle of Giants.
    Eversong Woods and Ghostlands build your argument's coffin.
    Azuremyst and Bloodmyst Isle nail it shut.

All of the above do not have flying, yet are still able to be played. They are built in with the fundamental tenet that flight does not exist. Are those not 'actual facts that can be witnessed inside the game?'

Tell me again who's blocking out the opposing side.
    Go and see if you can swim to isle of giants without some kind of swim speed bonus, remember that you have to get there to pick up the flight point and flying is faster than swimming, walking is faster than swimming. No walking on water either as not every class can do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zelbert View Post
    I hope it takes place underground so flying gets restricted.
    You mean like the underground zone in cata you could not fly in?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    Derp.
    Um, I have 11 Alliance toons (80+) and almost the same on my Horde server.

Yeah...

No.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Go and see if you can swim to isle of giants without some kind of swim speed bonus, remember that you have to get there to pick up the flight point and flying is faster than swimming, walking is faster than swimming. No walking on water either as not every class can do it.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean like the underground zone in cata you could not fly in?
    You could still fly. But I actually expected them to give us tunneling or rock climbing mounts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Yeah right it did cost way more then 2g...

Can you link your profile so that we can see you have no flying mounts at all?
    .... yeah thats what I thought...
    Dnusha only said less flying.

Deleted
    Why would you want to fly when the whole expansion takes place in the Dark BELOW?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarnius View Post
    Then you'd have to save up for loads and loads, which is EXACTLY OP's point. I don't think they should make it so you need to farm for 3 months, but I really think they should give us a 50k cost for next expansion's flying skill, and give us cheaper mounts instead. I haven't had 50k at once either, but it's not even hard.(I got to 20k in like 2days in cata, 50k in MoP isn't hard) 50k would do so that only your main(or if you're rich, alts) would be able to fly, and you'd have to FARM FARM FARM! Again, we'd need something to farm. In Wotlk I farmed stuff like the essences of fire, so we should get more endgame items that require farming.
    We already have enough to farm for. Don't push it.

Timeless Isle (Which is an actual zone) says you are incorrect.
    As does the Isle of Giants.
    Eversong Woods and Ghostlands build your argument's coffin.
    Azuremyst and Bloodmyst Isle nail it shut.

All of the above do not have flying, yet are still able to be played. They are built in with the fundamental tenet that flight does not exist. Are those not 'actual facts that can be witnessed inside the game?'

Tell me again who's blocking out the opposing side.
    He only needs to find one zone where you have to fly to do something. You have to prove that no such zone exists.

Deleted
    i'm not sure where the idea comes from that unlocking flying in TBC took a long time.
    everyone who wasn't waste full with their gold could pretty much afford flying the moment they hit lvl 70.
    sure the 280% speed took a bit longer, but that wasn't really long also.

I am not arguing that, I am arguing that flight does not need to exist, and those zones prove my point. Does the game suddenly crash when entering these areas? Does the game stutter or break because we can't reach the top of the mountain with nothing on it? No? Then it's not required, and the design of the world can be built independent of flight. The world is built without flight in mind; Mobs and structures are placed with flight in mind because it is there. It can just as easily be said that the devs could place mobs in areas that do not require flight, and the game would be just as good. Therefore, flight is not fundamental. It is not a rule that must be followed, it is a perk that allows more options.

Then your argument is nonexistant. You shouldn't have to argue something that exists exists. What you're really saying is that flight is fundamental because it exists in game. I am arguing that something that exists in game does not NEED to be used at all. Flight is not at ALL a required part of the game, and the fact you aren't getting that from my arguments only means that I'm not doing a good job getting that across.

Talking down to someone isn't the greatest way to prove a point. Especially when you don't even understand the other person's argument. I've already stated, I don't give a damn whether flight stays or goes. My only argument here is: Flight does not have to exist. It is not fundamental, the game can easily be built without it, and none of the current 'inaccessible without flight' areas bar changes that would make them accessible without flight.

inb4: semantics, I'm done with this. I can only try talking to people when they actually try to talk back, not talk down.

- - - Updated - - -

Read this post. I am not trying to prove flight doesn't exist, for christ sake.
    You could of just admitted you were incorrect but instead you travel down a silly path where you become a verbal contortionist in a bizarre attempt to be right all the time. It is slightly entertaining but a mostly mind numbing experience.

Except I wasn't incorrect? My point stands tall and proud, unaffected by anything that was said in this thread, so nice try.
    You say it's not essential to have flight because it is not required to have flight in any zone to do stuff there.

I point out at least 5 things you can't do without flight.

You say they are not essential, that those things could be arbitrarily placed anywhere.

I point out that they are essential to other people who want to do those things and they were specifically placed where you can only get to them with flight there by denoting that it was planned and not arbitrary.

Some how you still think you are right? Have you given the circus a call? I heard they are hiring contortionists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    First of all, I personally love flying mounts in WoW but I think flying at max level is too easily obtainable. Do you remember days back in TBC? You had do farm your gold FOR MONTHS to learn flying (EDIT: I meant 280% speed flying) and to buy your first mount. And yeah, when you've finally bought it, you felt like you achieved something big. And now in MoP all you have to do is to get your character to 90th level, and then buy "flying in pandaria" for a very cheap price. That's not how it should work.
    So here's my idea:

Let's say, there will be a lot of factions in the next expansion (just like in MoP). To raise your reputation with those factions of course you would have to do dailies or events (like in BF: Barrens or Timeless Isle). But those activities would also provide something like timeless coins. And to learn flying in the continent that will be added in the next expansion, you would have to pay a lot of those timeless coins. I mean really... A LOT. A grind would take maybe around few months but then you would again feel that you've achieved something - after all this hard work, now you can fly on your mount on the new continent.

And the reason why I think flying should be avalaible for currency similiar to timeless coins is because nowadays there is a lot of rich people in WoW so if flying would cost for example 50k gold, it wouldn't be any problem for rich people to buy it so instead they would have to do content and buy it for currency like timeless coins.

Discuss this idea.

I've also made the same topic on the official WoW forums, so if you like this idea, also post there so maybe someone from Blizzard will see it: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...44394?page=1#0
    I apologize for sounding rude, but please don't ever apply for a job at Blizzard. This is a terrible idea and really, just a bad way of thinking in general. So what if 'alot' of people in WoW have lots of gold: lots of people don't, and your idea basically gives the middle finger to those people. Some of the most skilled, baddest-ass players that I know (I'm talking gladiators, people clearing heroic raids, etc) don't have the time or interest to play the AH or make gold farming more than an incidental part of their WoW time, and I know people who don't raid at all who are gold capped.

There are too many playstyles and too many variations within said playstyles for one overarching 'MUST BE EXPENSIVE' rule like you're proposing. Just a lame idea all around (and this is coming from someone with the 108k yak mount, 80k engineering mounts, JC mounts, etc).

And no believe it or not, if you knew what you were doing in BC epic flight was easy. I had mine within a day of reaching 70. So I think that's nostalgia talking, if you think that was some big mountain to climb.

10+ Year Old Account
    By making flying costly, you're hurting a lot of players. Not everyone is your 100k+ guy. Blizz have said so repeatedly. The majority of players would find it very irritating if they had to out of their way to earn more gold than they have ever possessed during the past years. For some people, even 20k is a fortune.

I am spoiled by flying at this point in WoW. I know I used to live without it before tbc, but now it is too convenient to give up. I can't level and alt past 85 due to not having flying. I barely made it to 90 the first time because there was no flying.

Deleted
    550k for my toons, just to fly?

I mean really?

Read this post. I am not trying to prove flight doesn't exist, for christ sake.
    No, you are trying to prove that it isn't necessary. Which you failed to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    It shouldnt cost months of grinding or 50k gold to use a basic feature of the game.
    The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it.- George Carlin

Deleted
    no they should remove flying mounts all together, they are in fact the biggest mistake blizzard ever made, and if they had the balls to do it the game would be alot better, sadly tehy are afraid that people will quit if they take away their precious mounts, but rest assured they know that flying mounts are an immersion killing abomination as stated by ghostcrawler so in their next game they wont make the same mistake again

oh shush, back in the day it was ridiculous prices for mounts relative to the ingame economy i mean. not to mention some classes needed to do a long quest line to get em, u guys are entitled i say.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you made flying cost 50k, it would barely inconvenience a tiny number of people, and it would piss off the other 98% of players.

Sounds like a terrific idea.

On the other hand, if you locked it behind a terrible 60 day grind, like, say, Son of Molten Front, it would piss off 100% of players. Maybe that's what you were going for.

Flying makes a game where travel is inconvenient less inconvenient. But it doesn't actually make it convenient, because I personally find it a pain in the ass to get around in Pandaria now, with the obligatory weekly treasure runs at one corner and the obligatory raid coins in the center and the semi-useful "new" zone at the other corner, and no convenient way to travel between. Basically, taxi and AFK for 5-10 minutes, now, that there is SOME REALLY COMPELLING GAMEPLAY.