Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    As many others have said already, it is not being "unable" to commit to a schedule that keeps me from raiding higher than flex.
    It is being "unwilling" to commit to a schedule. To plan my playtime on what others decide.
    I want to be able to do whatever I feel like (within the options I have) at any given moment.
    If I want to drop off the face of Azeroth for a month, I want to be able to do that without having to worry about what it looks like when I come back.

I play exclusively for my own fun and enjoyment, and my friends/guildies that I occasionally play with, are the same.

I want to be able to stop farming x boss once I get y loot I wanted from him. To not bother farming consumables and leaving my raiding by the wayside if I feel a bit drained from work one particular week, without my next week then being harmed by it.
    I want to play whichever of my army of chars I feel like any given day, without having to worry that "I need to tank the raid tonight" or "tomorrow's raid needs a healer".

I had enough of the responsability of a raider when I was raiding in BC and Wrath. I do not miss it one tiny little bit.
    It was tons of fun to put ourselves to the test week after week against the hardest stuff the game had to offer, and be rewarded with prestige and powerful characters when we secured yet another server first, but as the game changed, so did I, and I do not enjoy that kind of stuff anymore.

So thank god it is no longer the only way to raid! LFR and flex came at a perfect time and dealt with my changing needs effectively.
    As it is now, there is absolutely nothing for me in normal/heroic that I care about, or cannot get elsewhere.
    Exactly the way I want it. I raided without really wanting to, for enough years already.

Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    Easier difficulty =/= new content.

I enjoy raiding more difficult bosses. Is there something wrong with that?
    Absolutely not, so do I. But not everyone is like that. My mate recently got those 7 days free, leveled his char to 90, did all bosses available on LFR and then uninstalled the game. As he said: "I had done all the endgame PVE content). I naturally asked him if he did not wanna try normal, in which he responded: "Why should i wanna do the same stuff again on a harder difficulty? I don't like multiple playthroughs of the same content".

Raiding three nights a week is inconvenient when you have a girlfriend, a kid, and a job. Even more so when you decided to go back to school on top of all that. I may have time to sit on my ass for three hours, but I can't promise that every week, and certainly not at the times most people raid.

Also, I've been in many raiding guilds. I'm still friends with basically no one from those guilds. I have little tolerance for the office politics and cliques that form in those guilds. I haven't been in high school in more than a decade, I don't need to deal with that crap on a daily basis. I used to run my own casual group through normal modes, but most of those people have left. Hell, I've left and come back several times. If LFR didn't exist, I wouldn't bother raiding at all. I might not even play.

I don't play right now.
    I wish LFR would go away. Part of the thrill is working up to something--trying at it for a week or two--and finally downing it.
    Now, raiding is bite-sized - and it genuinely cheapens the experience.

I still miss "raiding". Not Normal/Hard/LFR - Raiding.

Deleted
    Don't really like committing to a schedule. Even though there's a 99% chance I'll be playing anyway, just something about it makes me feel uncomfortable.

simple. i work till 11pm 4 days a week, when i get off, i hit the bong and PvP because it is funner. the other 3 nights im off I have a life and dont spend it zombied on a computer QQ'ing about strats and "zomg wur mah purple gearz at yo"

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you not commit to any form of schedule, be it a small commitment or large? No, I can't I am online almost every evening but 90% of that time is spent afking because I have to do something irl, basically, do a pet battle, go afk for 10 mins, post some auctions, be interrupted by a family member needing me, afk for 30 mins. That doesn't work with raiding guilds.
    Are you not interested in the harder difficulties in a game? IMHO lfr is significantly harder than a coordinated guild run. I've been healing my guild's progress on heroic ragnaros. It is a complete joke compared to carrying a lfr raid as a healer.
    Can you not find other players to raid with? Plenty, but no time
    Are you afraid of, or personally not good enough to participate in the harder difficulties? Not applicable.
    Do the rewards, and the prospect of a stronger character not interest you? Currently there are no interesting rewards, no. The only worthy raid reward in wow that was attractive to me was the ashes of alar mount. Offer something equally shiny as a reward and I will change my mind

Also, raiding teams generally equal whinefest and drama. I like my guildies but I think the main reason I like them is because as a social I get to skip all of their whining and drama. Worth it!
    Last edited by Snaige; 2013-10-27 at 03:50 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Instructor Soki View Post
    I don't play right now.
    I wish LFR would go away. Part of the thrill is working up to something--trying at it for a week or two--and finally downing it.
    Now, raiding is bite-sized - and it genuinely cheapens the experience.

I still miss "raiding". Not Normal/Hard/LFR - Raiding.
    If you don't like LFR, don't do it. If you're such a delicate flower that the mere existence of other modes sends you to the fainting couch, well, go ahead and stay gone.

I got tired of saying something weak after weak and people still failing to get the point and fix it. I wasn't a healing class officer for shits and giggles I knew what I was talking about and you refused to do it week after week, and wonder why your always out of mana and always bottom on the healing meter by miles.

Deleted
    For me, another factor is: I absolutely can't stand doing things half-heartedly.
    Either do it right, or don't do it at all. No inbetween. Which is why I quit raiding back at the end of TBC alltogether when my guild decided to go more casual.

At the moment I don't have the time to commit to a hardcore raiding schedule, but as soon as I would invest time into raiding, everything below striving for the highest achievable goals would feel like a waste of time.
    You also don't study every single day for an exam and then say: "If I pass, fine, if not, that's ok too." No it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Absolutely not, so do I. But not everyone is like that. My mate recently got those 7 days free, leveled his char to 90, did all bosses available on LFR and then uninstalled the game. As he said: "I had done all the endgame PVE content). I naturally asked him if he did not wanna try normal, in which he responded: "Why should i wanna do the same stuff again on a harder difficulty? I don't like multiple playthroughs of the same content".
    I wasn't suggesting everyone do harder content. I was simply stating why I do.

And as far as your friend, he seems that he would enjoy a single player game better. And that's not a bad thing, nor is it a rude suggestion. I'm just saying that someone who "beats the game" and is done isn't really the MMO type.

Since starting work due to shift patterns i can only raid once every other week, so never a full lockout, so quite quickly since 5.0 i fell behind in gear and kills, meaning that i became a spare wheel for the guild, a replacement if only really necersarry, i've been thinking of upping and leaving, but whats the point, same problem anywhere else i'd go.

I don't like to pug, its something i've suffered from since i started in end BC. gotta be done with guild groups and friends and its also set me back as well.

Before i started working i was the RL of a 25hc guild in cata and DS, didnt do too well during t11, got better in 12 and really perfected it in 13, and i miss those days, when i could just log on, look at my gear, smile and go do whatever i wanted without any issues, now i struggle with that. That and MoP really messed us up as a guild, lots of quits lots of leaves, lack of interest, burn out, list goes on, so they went down to 10 and yea, i'm just not needed now.

if i could, i would like to get back into normal raiding, clear 14 in a night, (nerfs or no nerfs) blasting through content was fun for me, and the guild and i always had a great laugh 10 or 25 and it felt like we were real friends. But i wouldnt want to have to go back to the hassle of running 25hc or even 10hc guild, dont have enough interest int he game anymore for something like that

Can you not commit to any form of schedule, be it a small commitment or large?

Nope, I'm busy with studies and rarely log on wow every 2-3 weeks, but when I do I'll normally do all the LFR wings

Are you not interested in the harder difficulties in a game?

I love a challenge, but back to point one if I can't commit the time, I'm not going to rely on chance of looking in trade all night for a group that may only clear one boss

Can you not find other players to raid with?

I was with a slow progressive guild, but they had a new GM take over, with new erm "policies" which I didn't agree with so, (when I came back to the game after exams) I didn't go back to them. All my mates who raid are still in that guild

Are you afraid of, or personally not good enough to participate in the harder difficulties?

I could probably handle normal SoO maybe the first couple on hc with my warlock if I spent a week geming and enchanting her up, and re reading into the class, but atm shes in LFR gear, with no gems or green gems and no enchants

Do the rewards, and the prospect of a stronger character not interest you?

Anyone who says no, its a lie, regardless if people do LFR to see the content, they still run it each week trying to get those items to make their characters look better at the very least.

So yea I'd just like to reemphasize, my character(s) isn't as good as what they used to be, purely because since I don't raid 25 man any more or in a guild where I have responsibilities, I don't keep on top of changes every patch or expansion.

Edit:

I should add, I was a casual raider in TBC, mostly T4, and some "fun" night after getting first kills, we'd have a giggle at T5 / T6 although we did get a few kills, first one in BT Hyjal to the third one, and TK the first three. In Wrath I was on my lock 10 man until ICC hit, joined a new guild on my DK in 25 man. Cataclysm back with a old guild started on T11 was it? Lasted about 2 months before I got sick of the pettyness of two members and spreading elitest crap around the place, went social for FL, but did social / alt raids. LFR hit, I just did LFR DS, but after a few months of that, I got asked to step into a 10 man team heroic team to tank as someone dropped out, First time I ever went into normal or hc DS (also first time I was ever properly tanking) and I was put again Ultra >..> needless to say we got our first kill that night, so I joined the team carried on but I was to far behind the other two tanks, so normally I'd sit on the bench after Ultra went down so they could clear the rest of the raid. MoP hit I joined late stayed social, been social ever since
    Last edited by Rotted; 2013-10-27 at 04:08 PM.

Can you not commit to any form of schedule, be it a small commitment or large?
    I probably could, but I do not want to. Signing up for a flex raid and then sticking to it until end is the most commitment I'm willing to do right now

Are you not interested in the harder difficulties in a game?
    I am

Can you not find other players to raid with?
    I'm member of a heroic progression guild (8/14HC) and I'm confident that they would let me be part of the raiding team if I wanted to.

Are you afraid of, or personally not good enough to participate in the harder difficulties?
    No.

Do the rewards, and the prospect of a stronger character not interest you?
    I think ilvl 520 is where you start feeling pretty comfortable (that means being able to solo 3M HP elites without too much hassle) on Timeless Isle and outside of raiding, this is currently the pinnacle of solo content, so why would I be interested in more gear.
    Last edited by h4rr0d; 2013-10-27 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsforyou View Post
    My question exactly. I consider my Internet friends that i have been playing with since Vanilla better friends than most of the people i know IRL.
    That's kinda sad. Apart from that, there's plenty of stuff one can do in WoW without having to constantly talk to people and forcedly cultivate relationships. After all, MMOs are multiplayer first and foremost, not multitalker or multiclinger.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    That's kinda sad. Apart from that, there's plenty of stuff one can do in WoW without having to constantly talk to people and forcedly cultivate relationships. After all, MMOs are multiplayer first and foremost, not multitalker or multiclinger.
    If you do not talk to people in an MMO, you could as well be playing with a group of NPCs. Perhaps some people would like to play "single player" style in a world populated with scores of NPCs, if the AI is good.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Why is this sad? A relationship is a relationship either way. What makes meeting strangers and building friendships in the game worse than meeting friends at work or the bar? Many of the friendships I've had in my years of playing WoW were very real. I even had a friend I played with for a while move up from Florida to PA and room with me for a while.

Don't let your personal prejudice or social insecurity be a basis for how others make friends. It's not a good look.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is this sad? A relationship is a relationship either way. What makes meeting strangers and building friendships in the game worse than meeting friends at work or the bar? Many of the friendships I've had in my years of playing WoW were very real. I even had a friend I played with for a while move up from Florida to PA and room with me for a while.

Don't let your personal prejudice or social insecurity be a basis for how others make friends. It's not a good look.
    Couldn't agree more. It is not up to the angry poster JimmyHellfire to decide to we can call friends, it is up to us When my awesome wow friend quit the game I was sad for a year, then I made a youtube video log for him to come back and he diiiid Was the best moment in my wow history. Haters be hating but people with internet friends enjoy their company and are happy regardless of what some people say

Quote Originally Posted by Snaige View Post
    Couldn't agree more. It is not up to the angry poster JimmyHellfire to decide to we can call friends, it is up to us When my awesome wow friend quit the game I was sad for a year, then I made a youtube video log for him to come back and he diiiid Was the best moment in my wow history. Haters be hating but people with internet friends enjoy their company and are happy regardless of what some people say
    People like you give me hope. I miss when there were server communities and a long friends lists.

I do not like playing LFD/LFR in a cross-server style and be unable to meet those people again at will. Just the sheer ability to find a group through the click of a button, brings the worst behavior in many people in LFD/LFR. It hurts the WoW community and many people's gaming experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Snaige View Post
    No need to get agitated, guys. I'm not here to "decide" anything for anyone. Your "social insecurity" and "angry poster" talk displays a certain kind of - funny vibe, let's put it that way. Very telling.