Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Skada or recount?

Guys im wondering which addon is better (more accurate), i have used both but i personally like more skada.

Thanks

i'm sure they both have perfectly accurate data collection.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've used both for a very long time, as of right now both are fairly the same in accuracy. Recount however is heavier on the computer resources.

They are both pretty accurate but vary in how they define DPS, therefore their results will often vary.
    Neither is more right or wrong in that respect, and really should not be comparing in-game meter numbers with other players.
    Look to a better measure for that, such as World of Logs.

Use the meter as a personal tool only, and use the one which provides the features you want.
    And a personal opinion, is that it should only be visible out of combat for most players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    should only be visible out of combat for most players.
    That's probably true. I'm embarrassed by how often I notice my co-healer is dead from the Healing Done meter rather than from, you know, the healing frames.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    And also now we can design gear to show off the male human high res nipples/chest hair.

Skada because it's more light than recount.

But both are nice.

I like Skada a lot more. Especially when it comes to checking who is taking damage from what, and % of damage done to each mob.
    It's also nice with the absorb module tacked on so you can see the effect of the Disc/Holy palla bubbles (recount can probably do this also, but I don't know).

Deleted
    I have more often than not found skada to correlate more accurately with log parses than recount does. But this doesn't mean one is more accurate than another on a single encounter as both have skewed up and down considerably on several occasions. As others have said logs are the only real measure.

But as an in-game tool I would always choose skada.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelppons View Post
    I have more often than not found skada to correlate more accurately with log parses than recount does. But this doesn't mean one is more accurate than another on a single encounter as both have skewed up and down considerably on several occasions. As others have said logs are the only real measure.

But as an in-game tool I would always choose skada.
    World of Logs is simply another interpretation of the same data.
    It is not a "real" measure in that regard, it just has a lot more in common with skada.

I feel the depth it offers makes it a more useful tool than anything in-game, especially if you want to start comparing numbers.
    Neither recount, skada or any other addons offer imo sufficient options to draw proper meaning when comparing players by what are simplified numbers without context.
    Quantities or sizes are meaningless as an average or peak in a given fight, and should be interpreted with context, which means over the progress of a fight.

I switched to Skada, I just think it looks cleaner than recount. Not to mention it does a lot more. I have Threat and Damage meters both set up in a single addon, otherwise I would have to download Recount and Omen. I also ran into a bug where Recount wouldn't reset its data, which is what caused me to switch and fall in love with Skada to begin with.

Also if you're a tank I suggest the Healing Required addon for Skada, it's very nice to gauge how well you're using your active mitigation and what not. It's pretty funny when you're a tank and dps required more HPS than you.

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/skada-for-tanks
    Last edited by prizeless; 2013-10-29 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaxto View Post
    Guys im wondering which addon is better (more accurate), i have used both but i personally like more skada.

Thanks
    skada. more bang for your buck and less drain on the resources.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    World of Logs is simply another interpretation of the same data.
    It is not a "real" measure in that regard, it just has a lot more in common with skada.

I feel the depth it offers makes it a more useful tool than anything in-game, especially if you want to start comparing numbers.
    Neither recount, skada or any other addons offer imo sufficient options to draw proper meaning when comparing players by what are simplified numbers without context.
    Quantities or sizes are meaningless as an average or peak in a given fight, and should be interpreted with context, which means over the progress of a fight.

I think you're right on the matter of absolute certainty, it is impossible to give an absolute(real) number.

However, when scrutinized under the same parameters it is clear data, and if the community agrees these parameters suffice, there is no reason to disagree. Thousands of raiders engage in the race for the best parse, and obviously the top parses are usually padded.

But, whatever, if you want an addon that reliably reports good numbers, go with skada.

There are different ways to interpret and measure DPS with no official or correct way to do it.
    Those two addons take a different approach, and therefore have different numbers.
    Personally I would like to see an agreement where both use the same, and therefore the only differentiation would be the feature-set.
    However I am doubtful of that ever happening.

Quote Originally Posted by prizeless View Post
    Also if you're a tank I suggest the Healing Required addon for Skada, it's very nice to gauge how well you're using your active mitigation and what not. It's pretty funny when you're a tank and dps required more HPS than you.
    Not picking sides, but Recount has the very same addon, both are made by the same author.

Can't post links yet, but it's also on Curse site.

And another Recount Threat plugin, as well.
    Last edited by nunotex; 2013-11-06 at 04:36 AM.

Recount gives more breakdown per spell hence higher mem usage
    Prefer skada though

Skada, Recount was causing me to lag a lot on some pulls.

Deleted
    For me better is skada Recount need more memory :P

Another thing to mention is that skada uses similar math to what World of Logs uses to get dps/hps and you can have 2 skada windows open at the same time.

Recount inflates my hps as a disc priest, for that I am certain. My parse on world of logs was similar to what Skada showed me, but the recount one was always higher. For every other class/spec it calculates fine though (except for maybe holy pali absorbs).

Quote Originally Posted by Crete View Post
    Another thing to mention is that skada uses similar math to what World of Logs uses to get dps/hps and you can have 2 skada windows open at the same time.
    2 windows is the main reason I use skada, 2nd being resources