Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It would probably be a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Sorry, flying has become a greater part of the playing experience. As we level with such a high speed, we pass zones (outlevel) and don't go there again. A few missing flight paths can suddenly be a wrecking event. I do like the idea of some zones maybe would be dangerous for flying (I.e. some creatures in the air / PvP / NPC's attacking what's in the air).
    That's an awesome way to discourage flying mounts in some zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenjie View Post
    A lot interacting with the players while exploring the places and questing.
    And ofcourse, much more world pvp, because you can't simply avoid them by riding.

And i think, if flying was not implemented, then there will be battles at every places where horde questplace - alliance questplace are close to each other.
    (like Tarrenmill - Southshore pvp)
    Yes, but keep in mind something VERY important. Actual world PVP was pretty rare - it was mostly ganking. Source: Played on a PVP server from day one of vanilla until 5-6 months ago now.

Even Southshore was bad - the guards from Tarren Mill had a respawn rate such that they once reached, killed off, and pretty much took over Southshore.

Then again world PVP was pretty fun... before they added the utter crap that they call resilience. "You PVP all day? Congrats, this gear'll make you stronger because somehow that's supposed to be more fun when you play vs. people who don't PVP all day" <-- PVP fun went away that day.

Deleted
    The idea that being on the ground makes you "interact with players more" is a fucking joke, are you idiots kidding me? I ran through all five levels of Pandaland on the ground without saying shit to anyone. Ooh what a magical interactive experience.

And world PVP? Fuck your world PVP, nobody (including Blizzard) gives a shit and you know it.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shitty zone transitions with mountains as borders.

Ah this again....

Flying mounts didn't kill world PvP, people killed world PvP.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I wouldn't really care.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    Ah this again....

Flying mounts didn't kill world PvP, people killed world PvP.
    And then pve gear buried it.

Maybe 1 millions subscribers left (most of them jobless), running around for hours to the dungeons and back

Deleted
    the game would be so much worse than it is now. If you dont want to fly, then don't fkn do it. I really doubt you would see a lot more world pvp (you have timeless isle for that now, how often do you see world pvp there?)

Quote Originally Posted by Skimzilla View Post
    I want to hear how everyone envisions how these last 7(?) years would have been without flying mounts.

It's an interesting thing to brainstorm.
    A slight bit more fun/interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I LOVE flying. Along with LFD and LFR it is the best feature ever introduced to WOW.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

I imagine I would still be PvPing every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything would be very flat.

People would find new ways of going out of their way to avoid contact with one another.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

There would be less world PvP.

Most PvP servers nowadays are hugely imbalanced. Being unable to escape from opponents that outnumber you 4-1 would compel many players to transfer to servers where their faction is dominant, thus avoiding being dominated endlessly by gankers. The result is less world PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    "We're going to SoO, but the Horde has the entrance overrun with their PvPers (thus sumonning stone is literally unusable). Guess we don't raid today either."
    More or less that. On top of that, zones far away from capitals would be literally empty, besides that ocassional odd levelling player - even more so than today. After seven years of "it takes some 15 minutes to get to Eastern Plaguelands if you don't have a flightpoint" or "Welcome to Uldum! Enjoy having your HS on CD all the time." in one way or another, people would just stop going to zones that would be too far to be convenient to play in.

Just epic!!!
    Some new ideas that could been created:

PvP: New tools to improve PvP (for avoid PvP and engage PvP) trinkets/items/etc. Without flying mounts, that type of things are really easy to design and affect the gameplay without killing anything, and more work for players to reach/craft/loot this new items/tools, etc...so more things to do.
    PvE: New tools for users (new skills maybe?) for playing and doing quest more fast. So players have more things to play versus environement (skills and gameplay).
    Maps: Platforms, new unreachable zones (that need skills/duels/etc.. to be reached if the player base want), elite zones uniques for endgame (timeless island/emerald dragons zones, rare-elites, etc...) that give us something to worry about, etc...(too much things here XD)
    Movility: New tools to move our own ass? Yes plis! Maybe something with professions, factions only flying routes, quest/keys to unlock new routes, old teleport items, etc...
    Etc, etc, etc...too much new things...

"We're going to SoO, but the Horde has the entrance overrun with their PvPers (thus sumonning stone is literally unusable). Guess we don't raid today either."
    And then People complain in forums, and Blizzard fix this with something...maybe a new trinket that give you inmunity to Players (when stay near of summoners stone, maybe a tabard?...lot's of things, but its better to say: NO!!! It's impossible!!! We can't do anything!!! Unsub!)
    Last edited by Belisaurio; 2013-10-29 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    There wasn't anything up there since you couldn't make your way up there anyway. Exploring on a fly mount isn't really exploring, you're not following any roads, you're not crossing any bridges, lakes or rivers, you're not overcoming any dangers or using your wits as how to best tackle a certain obstacle. You're just sitting on your bloody fly mount flying past it all.
    Maybe just a personal thing (but I believe this whole topic is a very personal thing anyway), but I wouldn't consider following roads to be exploring anyway! LEAVING the road is exploring. Exploring doesn't equal "overcoming dangers". What about flying up and admiring the view? Seeing little places to explore that you couldn't see from the ground? What's that camp-site on the top of that mountain over there? Admittedly those things - like anywhere you explore - do not stay interesting forever but it is something that I know many people enjoy doing.

As for the speed....... I have never understood the DESIRE to take 15 mins to get somewhere, when you can take 5 mins to do the same. Sure if you are going out on a Sunday drive just for the sake of the drive you may just head out in a direction and take your time but when you have a purpose - most times people go the quickest way they can. Also even with flying mounts removed people would still not ride places (much) on their ground mounts.... they would just take taxi birds where... you guessed it.... they would be flying again. The only difference here is that they would not be in any control of their flying and would probably just use the time of the flight to have a pee break or grab a drink etc (which is exactly why I sometimes DO take taxi rides instead of flying myself). It doesn't make more exploring - just more alt-tabbing.

World PVP for those that enjoy it, sure. However there is nothing to stop those people enjoying it now. They don't because people aren't there.... and they arent there because they don't want it. The only people that are "missing" due to flying mounts are those that never wanted to do it in the first place but got caught up in it against their wishes.

Deleted
    Boring and annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by The King in Yellow View Post
    If flying mounts would never be introduced the feel of a massive world would be more present, flight paths would be more useful and most likely the world would feel more imerssive.

At least that is my opinion, even though flying mounts did make travel way easier, it did come at the cost of the feeling of scale.
    Alt Tabbing AFKing while flying isnt more immersive imo

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Abysal View Post
    Tedious. I played back before there were flying mounts.

The real purpose that tedious things like travel time provide for the game is that they fill in the empty time. It's less "boring" because you're not standing around doing nothing. The problem is that riding around on a ground mount for 20 minutes to get to your destination isn't somehow "fun" it's just a time filler. That's poor design. The problem with this game isn't flying mounts or any of the other conveniences that have been added. It's that it's gotten to where we fill time by standing around instead of by doing something. It's up to the devs to give us fun things to do while we wait for our queues to pop/raids to form/whatever.
    TBH, just allowing us to quest while in raid groups would go a long way. Sure it doesn't help with the initial queue, but when people leave and you are waiting 30 mins for a new tank it would likely stop people leaving as fast if they knew they could at least zone out and carry on questing and come back when there was a new tank etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    WoW would feel bigger and the feeling of going on an adventure while doing quests would be there again.
    I've always found starting a new job is somewhat of an adventure. Travelling to a new place of business, meeting new people etc. Personally I hate it - I am a creature of habit and starting a new job is very scary for me. It is an adventure though...... In the years that follow however going to this same place, meeting the same people again.... is NOT an adventure. I will never understand how people believe that being forced to do something slower (ground mounts) makes something you have done thousands of times before somehow more of an adventure. Its an adventure to start with..... then its just a chore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kendro1200 View Post
    As for world exploration...well it's a little too late to save that. The only way to fix that is by killing any quest helping software, redoing quests so you have to carefully read the text to know what to do because the descriptions are vague, and then let players loose in a zone, like they did in vanilla. That is the only way you get that sense of exploration, rather than an "adventure on rails" feeling. You'll also have to set something up so dataminers and db mods can't update fan sites with all of the new quests automatically, so players can't just go to wowhead to figure out where to go next. Unfortunately that is also how you get 1+ million players to quit in a day, so that's not going to happen.
    It's true that several of the vanilla quests were vague to the point of "Go somewhere far away and do something awesome and come back when you have done what I wanted you to do but never told you". Without having somewhere to look up that quest, I would have had no way to complete them. Back then I just used Thottbot to tell me what the quest wanted. If they did that now I would just look on wowhead and there is no way they could make quests that wouldnt be collected into database sites like that unless they made the quest requirement random. If they somehow managed to make quests that you could not lookup, and were vague like some of the vanilla ones.... I would just ditch them.

Tedious.

/10char
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"