Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    No, he's not. People don't want to go afk or alt-tab and die just because the open world is super dangerous. That's not fun.
    To counter that, I'd say that it isn't fun to feel like nothing bad will ever happen. How about safe spots where it's okay to afk?
    Jazzhands <Sacred Samophlange>, 6/14H, US-Skywall
    "Query? What do you think I'm here for, tea and biscuits? Spill the beans already!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe for another game but not this one. It doesn't fit with their ideas or audience. The game is meant to be easy to access and allow you to do other things. Sure a zone like that would work for people that want it but there are many who don't want to invest full concentration while leveling. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NiceJazzhands View Post
    I understand where you're coming from, but I think it's a bit much to say something like this would kill questing forever.

What if there was a way to opt out of pursuit, but a reward for being pursued and living?

Razecog read my mind in the post right below me! A bounty would be cool.
    Yeah that sounds cool. Maybe put a timer on the mob and if you run enough without loosing him he can be killed and gives items or stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is genius

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Yeah that sounds cool. Maybe put a timer on the mob and if you run enough without loosing him he can be killed and gives items or stuff.
    I like the timer until killable idea a lot. It gives a reason to avoid the mob in the first place, but it makes it so that you don't want to abandon it completely.
    "Query? What do you think I'm here for, tea and biscuits? Spill the beans already!"

No matter what level you are, quest mobs tend to fall over without any objection. You can quest, admire the pretty scenery, kill an easy bunch of mobs, and then go turn in the quest for a reward. What if it wasn't that simple? I'm proposing that an element of danger gets added to the World of Warcraft.
    bring back elite quest mobs.

timeless isle rares a good example -whilst anyone with raid gear can steamroll them fairly easily, someone in questing greens and blues fresh to the island can have significant problems and for blizz to try and program it so that rare mobs only hit geared players harder is not easily done.

i like the idea of level scaling overall though, but not forced i.e. the rift mentoring system, not the guild wars zone scaling. that way if you want to go and do loremaster but not faceroll your way through it, scale yourself down to the correct level, or even a few levels below (to allow for gear). it's been proven that the scaling tech is ingame through the instance bug reported on the forum (and front page a few days ago). so there's certainly potential.

more dynamic content - i.e. things that happen when you step on something, approach something, go through a doorway etc are always welcome in my opinion - like the falling wall thing, it's essentially like a rare mob frontal cone, but initiated by a structure instead.
    <insert witty signature here>

Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    bring back elite quest mobs.

timeless isle rares a good example -whilst anyone with raid gear can steamroll them fairly easily, someone in questing greens and blues fresh to the island can have significant problems and for blizz to try and program it so that rare mobs only hit geared players harder is not easily done.

i like the idea of level scaling overall though, but not forced i.e. the rift mentoring system, not the guild wars zone scaling. that way if you want to go and do loremaster but not faceroll your way through it, scale yourself down to the correct level, or even a few levels below (to allow for gear). it's been proven that the scaling tech is ingame through the instance bug reported on the forum (and front page a few days ago). so there's certainly potential.

more dynamic content - i.e. things that happen when you step on something, approach something, go through a doorway etc are always welcome in my opinion - like the falling wall thing, it's essentially like a rare mob frontal cone, but initiated by a structure instead.
    I like your points, but especially the last paragraph.

I think most of things I'm suggesting are things that people are already used to dealing with (don't stand in stuff!). It's the reason it's being added that's most important to me - It makes us pay attention, and it could possibly prepare some players for things they could expect in a raid or dungeon environment.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that there should be more danger in the world really. I remember the days of Stitches in Duskwood, or Morladim, where you really have to watch out for them cause they could easily kill you.
    Or that annoying patrol in Eastern Plaguelands. Nowadays you really have to try to get killed, at least in Vanilla zones.

I'd like to see more elites, or even a new type of elite that is a level higher, champion elite or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    To counter that, I'd say that it isn't fun to feel like nothing bad will ever happen. How about safe spots where it's okay to afk?
    they are called inns, and they are every where!

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

Quote Originally Posted by Raysz View Post
    I agree that there should be more danger in the world really. I remember the days of Stitches in Duskwood, or Morladim, where you really have to watch out for them cause they could easily kill you.
    Or that annoying patrol in Eastern Plaguelands. Nowadays you really have to try to get killed, at least in Vanilla zones.

I'd like to see more elites, or even a new type of elite that is a level higher, champion elite or something.
    Oh my god, Mor'ladim. That guy had the biggest aggro radius ever. I can't tell you how many times I got killed by him on different toons. Haha.

I'd be perfectly fine with zones that are designed around the mechanics you suggested in the OP as long as not EVERY zone was designed around it. In fact, it would make perfect sense for such zones to have increased rewards... but I wouldn't want those challenges while I'm farming an old rep or something.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well if you are wanting things to go this route then the one thing you forgot to add to the list is that once you die, you have to re roll a new character and start all over again from level 1..

It kinda sounds like you want the Timeless Isle.

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Well if you are wanting things to go this route then the one thing you forgot to add to the list is that once you die, you have to re roll a new character and start all over again from level 1..
    Slippery slope argument! This is silly, I didn't say anything like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    It kinda sounds like you want the Timeless Isle.
    I loved the Timeless Isle, and I'd like to see more things like it. I even said that in the OP!

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Slippery slope argument! This is silly, I didn't say anything like this.
    Well you are wanting more hazards and what not in WoW so what is wrong with Perma Death other games have it even Diablo 3 has it so it is a viable option.. You say you want the risk of being out in the world, having Perma Death would make it more intense and keep people on their toes..

even Diablo 3
    Comparing an action game to an MMORPG..

I like the world as it is, there's plenty of danger if you look for it.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    Comparing an action game to an MMORPG..

I like the world as it is, there's plenty of danger if you look for it.
    I know there is just letting the OP know if they want their souped up risks out in the world then there should be the ultimate consequences of having it that way maybe a menu choice to have it that way like in that other game..

Deleted
    I support these ideas. There definitely needs to be more danger in the world. My philosophy is that i'd like challenging content, but I don't want this challenging content to take up time that I do not have. So simple stuff like dynamic events added to the world would allow me to face some challenges in the open world, as I'm playing normally, without having to dedicate say a specific night to facing challenging content. I especially like the third idea - imagine packs of wolves that can track you down. You'd be able to hear them coming from their howls, and when they get very close passive mobs like deer might flee the area etc.

Well you are wanting more hazards and what not in WoW so what is wrong with Perma Death other games have it even Diablo 3 has it so it is a viable option.. You say you want the risk of being out in the world, having Perma Death would make it more intense and keep people on their toes..
    Permadeath should only happen if people opt in. You can't just throw it at people who absolutely treasure their characters. The risk of death does add to a feeling of danger, but I'm against forced permadeath.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Then make the other ideas you have in the OP opt in as well so as to not force it on others who don't want the added danger.