Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

'World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria' misses the mark with kung fu pandas

'World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria' misses the mark with kung fu pandas
    http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/wo...pandas-6234050

World of Warcraft: Why Pandas?
    "http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/18/world-of-warcraft-why-pandas"

'World of Warcraft' goes to the pandas: Will you play?
    http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/wo...play-1B6072194

I think the next expansion will make or break WoW. The thing is, the key to success is that the expansion must not be stereotyped badly before it's released, because people WILL think bad of it even before playing.

Stereotypes shape consumer behavior. People often rely on stereotypes to help them make sense of their social environment. When the consumer has little information regarding his consumption, stereotypes related to the consumption are used to guide product choices.

I don't know how blizzard could possibly avoid this. Obviously I wouldn't approve of them bribing people to say good things about WoW.

This is something to think about.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    IGN and NBC.

Yeah, two bastions of unbiased fact.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    IGN and NBC.

I totally agree re: the news beasts, but....

an awful lot of people have voted in the last year via their subscription dollars.

Whether the news analysis of reasons is right or not, who knows, but the game has been shedding people since a few weeks after MoP hit the street after a weak uptick when it released.

IGN and NBC.

it would be mistaken to expect unbiased fact where none can be given.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Okay. That's it. Can we all fucking stop for a second and agree on one thing? That thing being that it wasn't just one of the following; kung fu pandas, "horde focused" story lines, lack of end game content, too much endgame content, end game becoming to inclusive, end game being to exclusive, pet battles, character models being back burner'd and garrosh not evening dying that "ruined" WoW for "a lot" of people, but it was a possible combination of these subjects and many more (Like declining server populations or mass migrations to already capped servers) as to why people have stopped playing?

Blaming the astronomical subscription losses on one thing is so asinine it hurts, and IGN and NBC's bias does not make it any better in the least.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by goblingirl View Post
    Whether the news analysis of reasons is right or not, who knows, but the game has been shedding people since a few weeks after MoP hit the street after a weak uptick when it released.
    The game was shedding subs long before that. It started during the tail end of Wrath, and it hasn't ever recovered. It isn't the content that is driving people away. It's the MMO market in general. The target audience in 2004-2008 is now married with children and jobs. The current gaming consumer doesn't want the old style MMOs they want something that they can pick up whenever they want and put it back down for a while. MMOs aren't that kind of game...

Deleted
    Why is swagster not banned already? Just look at his "started threads" history.

10+ Year Old Account
    i dunno what "mark" they THINK it should have hit but I enjoyed this expansion

Blizzards marketing team really messed up. I mean on the Xbox Dashboard they had pandas all over the WoW ads, the TV ad was not any better. Just everywhere they busted a wow advert, they had pandas on it. Nobody thinks that shits cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Alienshroom View Post
    Blizzards marketing team really messed up. I mean on the Xbox Dashboard they had pandas all over the WoW ads, the TV ad was not any better. Just everywhere they busted a wow advert, they had pandas on it. Nobody thinks that shits cool.
    This has been the best expansion in all aspects by far since TBC in my opinion. Speak for your fucking self. I'm so tired of people like this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    This has been the best expansion in all aspects by far since TBC in my opinion. Speak for your fucking self. I'm so tired of people like this.
    Agreed. Most of the time I feel like this forum exists in a wind tunnel where everything that isn't "God WoW's dead, TBC was best expac- no, I mean WotLK' just gets filtered out. It's hilarious how most people just repeat things with no evidence at all (Tinkers, Demon Hunters, Zaela's supposed baby) until it becomes fact to them. Bit sad.

Deleted
    The age of dedicated and hardcore gamers seems to be over, and ''truth'' be told, but it seems to have been for a while.

That's why Blizzard had to step down, and create a game to cater for a lot more people, those who can't play too much, and those who can't focus to learn games. But there are many more games and MMOs out there now, so the MMO audience is getting even more stretched.

Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    Yep, it certainly has, and it still is. MoP added so many great features and improved the existing ones (Brawlers Guild, Timeless Isle, rare champions, Flex Raiding, Connected Realms, OP Warlocks) that it cannot be summed up as a bad expansion.

The problem lies in the fact that many people didn't give it a chance due to its name, and many of those who did actually gave up after a few days of playing something that, in fact, shouts Kung Fu Panda all the time. You have Chens cheesy talk of "why do we fight" in trailer, starting zone being freaking FULL of Pandaren Monks and similiar creatures, fucking Hozen - it looked childish as hell.

The problem is - Kung Fu Panda (and its sequel) is probably one of the best animated movies of the decade.

When you can't get past the title and the cover, you may lose a lot of really good stuff. The problem is that the company releasing this stuff should think twice before selecting a theme/name. Because usually the first look matters most.

Remember Blizzcon and after Blizzcon when they announced Pandaland? The complaints weren't just about Pandas, it was about "no big bad guy" and "who are we fighting?" As it turns out we were fighting the Mogu, the trolls, and building up to Garrosh at the end. There was no "end goal" marketed, and that probably hurt as much as anything.

Maybe if they'd marketed the expansion as "Garrosh's Reckoning" or something like that, the initial reviews would have been better and the backlash much less.

Of all the expansions, Pandaland was the only one to get so much backlash when it was announced. Even Cataclysm was well-received because the concept was cool, even though during the course of the expansion there were many problems that people had. It always had the potential to be more, and an epic Deathwing battle at the end may have saved it, but Dragon Soul wasn't that great so a golden opportunity was lost.

Whatever the next expansion is, be it Warlords of Draenor or something else, they need to a much better job of getting people pumped up to do battle against the big evil right from the get-go. In Burning Crusade, we heroes were there to stop the Legion. In Wrath, we heroes were there to stop the Lich King. In Cataclysm, we heroes were there to save ourselves from annihilation. But in Pandaland, we heroes were there to..... gather resources. That's not the job for a hero. That's the job for a peon. And that was part of the problem.
    Last edited by Mortal Strike; 2013-11-06 at 04:13 PM.

IGN and NBC.

hey could be worse...could be massively.

Thankfully the reality isn't as binary as some people's tiny minds make it to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Yep, it certainly has, and it still is. MoP added so many great features and improved the existing ones (Brawlers Guild, Timeless Isle, rare champions, Flex Raiding, Connected Realms, OP Warlocks) that it cannot be summed up as a bad expansion.

The problem lies in the fact that many people didn't give it a chance due to its name, and many of those who did actually gave up after a few days of playing something that, in fact, shouts Kung Fu Panda all the time. You have Chens cheesy talk of "why do we fight" in trailer, starting zone being freaking FULL of Pandaren Monks and similiar creatures, fucking Hozen - it looked childish as hell.

The problem is - Kung Fu Panda (and its sequel) is probably one of the best animated movies of the decade.

When you can't get past the title and the cover, you may lose a lot of really good stuff. The problem is that the company releasing this stuff should think twice before selecting a theme/name. Because usually the first look matters most.
    Exactly, people have always used Pandas as a negative, yet if those were mature & actually gave the expansion the chance & not speak out of there ass they would understand this expansion has been really good & compared to the last 2 Xpacs, It's kicks there ass big time. I liked Wrath, but MoP content wise was ten times better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sabi View Post
    hey could be worse...could be massively.
    Massively aint that bad they just got alot of shitty writers that make the good writers look bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    The game was shedding subs long before that. It started during the tail end of Wrath, and it hasn't ever recovered. It isn't the content that is driving people away. It's the MMO market in general. The target audience in 2004-2008 is now married with children and jobs. The current gaming consumer doesn't want the old style MMOs they want something that they can pick up whenever they want and put it back down for a while. MMOs aren't that kind of game...
    It's the sad truth, MMOs aren't meant to be quick games, they are meant to be time consumers & until a another company figures that out we will be stuck with a bunch of failures like the past MMOs have.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2013-11-06 at 04:14 PM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Old news. This was news when the expansion was announced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    i dunno what "mark" they THINK it should have hit but I enjoyed this expansion
    Pretty much my point of view.

For the record: When I read the trademark application back in the day, I too was one of the people convinced that "nothing good can come from this".
    I'm glad Blizzard has proven me wrong.

Deleted
    Obviously it's dragons that killed WoW because HERP DERP subs began dropping after we defeated zombies