Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What if the WoW killer is not an MMORPG?

Over time I have heard of many WoW killers, and none of them succeeded

Guild Wars 2 ,Warhammer Online, Everquest 2, LOTRO, Rift, Aion, TERA, etc etc etc

Yet over time my friend list became dead and more dead. I used to play for hours and no "XXX is online" would come up. Realms were becoming empty and still no "WoW killer"

and then I discovered something.. all of my friends had moved on to League of Legends, a MOBA

obviously, this is all anedoctal. Did someone have a similar experience? The WoW killer might not be a MMORPG after all
    Last edited by swagster; 2013-11-07 at 10:13 PM.

It doesn't even have to be a game. People could have move on in life from gaming. Or they could be doing other things online unrelated to gaming.

Almost every person I know in game has at least tried out playing either league of legends or dota 2, with the majority still playing one of the two alongside or after giving up WoW. Fits the pick up and play model which works for a lot of peoples lifestyles more than an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by swagster View Post
    Over time I have heard of many WoW killers, and none of them succeeded

Guild Wars 2 ,Warhammer Online, Everquest 2, LOTRO, Rift, Aion, TERA, etc etc etc

Yet over time my friend list became dead and more dead. I used to play for hours and no "XXX is online" would come up. Realms were becoming empty and still no "WoW killer"

and then I discovered something.. all of my friends had moved on to League of Legends, a MOBA

obviously, this is all anedoctal. Did someone have a similar experience? The WoW killer might not be a MMORPG after all
    Want the scoop, buddyguy?
    WoW is the WoW killer.
    Just because WoW has lost a portion of it's player-base doesn't mean we're going down the toilet and will all soon be playing the game for $1,000,000 a month just to keep the beast in it's dying throes, Activision alive, do you know WHY WoW lost that portion of it's player-base?
    Because you can't define a genre twice.
    That initial success it had, it was unheard of, it was the first big MMORPG, it attracted attention from EVERYWHERE, it was socially relevant on levels Games had sparsely been before, and no matter WHAT it does, it can't do that again, because it will never be NEW again.
    LoL is currently in the process of defining MOBA's, so yes, it will have the success comparable to what WoW had, but y'know what? In a few years time, that'll die down, the hype will dissipate, and it will do what WoW has done, lose a limb.
    But that doesn't mean a thing, because it'll still be a thriving, immensely popular game with a dedicated fanbase that embarrasses most other games, as WoW is today.

What I'm getting at here, is that no other game can kill WoW, just because it hasn't reached it's peaks once more means nothing, it'll continue it's reign of dominance as long as it feels like, and when IT wants to stop, it will stop.
    The same can be said of LoL.
    Whether it goes out kicking and screaming because the developers screwed up tremendously, or on it's own accord with much respect and celebration, it'll bow out to itself and nothing else.
    Last edited by Vhalerius; 2013-11-07 at 10:23 PM.

Deleted
    Why would you want wow to die? Its still an amazing game.
    Server low populated? Move on to Ragnaros, Draenor, Stormscale, Outland etc. You will never call the game empty again.

Deleted
    I quit wow mainly because I've grown up. No longer have stupid time to spend on games. This is why I play more short games that last less than an hour (lol, fifa, cs:go). I've also found more of an appeal to trying random games on steam, usually just playing a game for an hour or so and move on.
    Last edited by mmoc472a5d728c; 2013-11-07 at 10:24 PM.

There probably won't be one definitive "WoW killer" MMORPG so to speak; most likely an aggregate of factors like the game being over ten years old, the core base outgrowing the model, and new, fresh gaming experiences much like WoW was when it first hit the scene.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does something have to kill wow?

Last I knew video killed the radio star.

A lot of my friends switched to playing MOBAs, even though like myself they think the genre is quite awful. I really doubt most of such people think that MOBAs are better than MMOs, they are just bored of of playing Wow for so long and don't want to bother with other games that will most likely die soon after release. Wow is slowly killing itself, but sooner or later Blizzard or someone else will bring MMOs back to the top.

The wow killer is .... sex.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only true 'WoW killer' is time itself.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

If it's not an MMORPG then... it's not a WoW killer.

Why not say COD is a WoW killer? Or GTA5?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

People could get bored and move to something they find interesting. Don't forget that WoW is 9 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    If it's not an MMORPG then... it's not a WoW killer.

Why not say COD is a WoW killer? Or GTA5?
    because COD was a colossal flop, and people stop playing GTA V as soon as they beat the single player. We are talking about MMOs

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    So what you are saying is that there is already a WoW-killer out on the loose and we don't know of its identity?

Hide your children, lock your house and turn on the radio!
    Do not go outside and stay safe!
    yep exactly

the "wow killer" is time.
    Wow is getting older and it shows in grafic.
    People wishes to try new games, not nessecary all players want the same game.
    Wow takes up a lot of your time, even when you are not raiding (or at least it did for me, when I played wow, I stopped at the end of Cata).

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    So what you are saying is that there is already a WoW-killer out on the loose and we don't know of its identity?

Hide your children, lock your house and turn on the radio!
    Do not go outside and stay safe!
    But what if the real WoW-killer...

... is inside your room?? Hiding under your bed?

because COD was a colossal flop, and people stop playing GTA V as soon as they beat the single player. We are talking about MMOs
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/ca...y-black-ops-ii 3.6 metacritic bro and it sold over 24 million. 500 million in 1st day sales and that was the record til GTA 5 beat it.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-...dern-warfare-3 3.3 bro and it made 400 million and has sold so far 26.5 million. Seriously CoD has a lot of hate and people will just put 0 just because. Sorry, say metacritic all you want, but I disproved you USING your metacritic argument. Activision isn't doomed.

(for those who don't know he was using user metacritic scores in another thread to claim COD Ghosts is a flop).

What's the matter, can't deal with the other thread debunking your COD is a flop? There is no giant "WoW killer". The only thing "killing" WoW is age and other games. WoW is being slowly taken down by other games. It is like a bunch of ants taking down a crab.

Was it... Age of Conan... in the Billiard Room... with the candlestick!?

Yeah that's like kind of my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

WoW is:
    1. Established
    2. Runs on older computers
    3. Updates regularly
    4. Has a large audience
    5. Has an active group of developers
    6. Adjust to the needs of it's audience

Nothing will 'kill' WoW IMO. Even if subs continue to be lost I think there is going to be a sweet spot where things will balance out due to content continuing to come out and people just wanted to continue to play the game. If anything was to kill WoW it would be something to do with Activision/Blizzard. Like a lot of developers leaving WoW for a new title or someone being hired and taking over who screws everything up. I think if they stick to the current model and the team stays happy developing the game it'll be around for a long long time to come.