Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

Myth: Warlords is badly received.

I've seen a lot of doom and gloom on the forums lately and I'd just like to point something out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyeZ8khSEC0

Thumbs up 33.021
    Thumbs down 31.326

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYueIdI_2L0

Thumbs up 19.467
    Thumbs down 1.349

If they manage to market it to as wide an audience as they did in MOP (that didn't go as well as it could have). We could see a lot of players returning. I'm not saying returing to 12 million subs, more like slightly increasing the sub numbers and stabilzing

Quote Originally Posted by Arent View Post
    I've seen a lot of doom and gloom on the forums lately and I'd just like to point something out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyeZ8khSEC0

Thumbs up 33.021
    Thumbs down 31.326

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYueIdI_2L0

Thumbs up 19.467
    Thumbs down 1.349

If they manage to market it to as wide an audience as they did in MOP (that didn't go as well as it could have). We could see a lot of players returning. I'm not saying returing to 12 million subs, more like slightly increasing the sub numbers and stabilizing
    Last I checked... 20k is a pretty small fraction of 8 million

Just as 60k is a pretty small fraction of 10 million

And may I point out that 20k is exactly 1/3rd the size of 60k. :P

The truth is we won't know until the release of the expansion and see the numbers change/shift over the course of the expansion. Cataclysm has proven that good pre-hype =/= a successful expansion.

I'll say this, I seriously doubt there will be a slight sub increase this go around. At best, a stable or 100k increase at launch - with that number dipping off dramatically next quarter - just like MoP did.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-11-12 at 08:28 PM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Likes on youtube, means fuck all.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I leveled my character to 90 in MoP, and that was about it. The Chinese theme was too focused for my taste. But I am looking forward to Warlords more than any other expansion they've announced. The gritty, dangerous feel they've decided to implement is awesome, combined with the beautiful new zones that completely contrast that theme. It reminds me of Avatar a little bit actually, except with a story that is 100x better.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Both sides are in desperate need to "quell the haters" with any mud they can throw at the opposing side. And I mean that... BOTH sides...

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    No. I'm sure there is some proportionality to be said of the likes on youtube and the amount of subscriptions WoW has lost.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wait until we get to the end of WoD to compare it to MoP.

IIRC MoP had almost no dislikes when it was first revealed.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Statistically speaking, those videos have more then enough views to draw the conclusions the OP has made.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dwarf View Post
    No. I'm sure there is some proportionality to be said of the likes on youtube and the amount of subscriptions WoW has lost.
    I doubt there is any causal connection, if there is even a correlation.

Nor should there be, since the userbases of youtube and WoW are at best tangentially related.

Deleted
    We'll certainly see a sub boost when the expansion is released, but I highly doubt they're going to stablize in the long run. The game is too old to remain market leader for much longer.

To be fair, most people just were like "BUT PANDAS ARE CHILDISH I HATE THIS GAME OMG EVERYONE WILL UNSUB NOW" when MoP was revealed. The panda thing affected more the casual crowd. Now the big topic of QQ is the new mythic mode for raids and it represents the minority of players but who are very vocal. Same amount of QQ, different amount people who are affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Conjor View Post
    Statistically speaking, those videos have more then enough views to draw the conclusions the OP has made.
    I agree. Haters are more inclined to post threads complaining than people who are happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conjor View Post
    Only a fraction of those views represent people who liked or disliked it. Also, you have to account for whether those views are players or not.

Short end of it, no, youtube likes are not statistically indicative of any accurate measurement of reception.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post

Your memory has failed you. The MoP trailer has received tons of downvotes from the very start.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Last I checked... 20k is a pretty small fraction of 8 million
    Last time I checked my prob/stats 101 class, the larger a population, the smaller sample you need to predict the attitude of that population.

As for WoD, I'm super-excited for the new content, but I really, really hate the story that gets us that content.
    "It is a demonstration of incomprehensible hubris to quote one's self, especially in one's own forum signature."
    ¬PetersenIII

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post

It had. It so had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post
    Only a fraction of those views represent people who liked or disliked it. Also, you have to account for whether those views are players or not.

Short end of it, no, youtube likes are not statistically indicative of any accurate measurement of reception.
    Youtube likes are statistically indicative of youtube user's reception. Thanks for trying tho

Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post

Yes they are, by definition.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    Last time I checked my prob/stats 101 class, the larger a population, the smaller sample you need to predict the attitude of that population.

As for WoD, I'm super-excited for the new content, but I really, really hate the story that gets us that content.
    Yes... provided it is actually a sample of that population. Which youtube likes are most likely not.

I will tell you what is gonna happen. For the sake of simplification, lets create an entity. Let's call it "The Next Expansion". Forget it is Warlords of Draenor, and instead pretend it is your favorite theme, be it the return of the Burning Legion, Old Gods, Arthas 2.0, you name it.

"The Next Expansion" will follow the same pattern as the previous expansions... Numbers will rise at the launch, maybe even rise tremendously... And then right after subs will fall again. And the number will fluctuate, up and down, as patches come and go. And the end of "The Next Expansion", numbers will be lower than they were at the begining of "The Next Expansion".

The truth is, no matter how good "The Next Expansion" is, whatever the theme, subs will continue to drop. Why? Simple, the game is old, the playerbase has grown and gotten responsibillities, MMOs don't atract the same attention as in the past, there are too many other videogames to compete with WoW.

However, those that decide to stay will deffinitely have a great time. Because the game just keeps getting better and better.