Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Best MMO of all-time for sure. I wouldn't judge my favorite game of all-time out from how much time I've invested in it though, different games are made to be enjoyed in different lengths. WoW is only truly good if you play it a lot, but something like Super Metroid can, imo, outdo it even if I beat the game in 3 hours. Earthbound for example is my favorite video game of all-time, it takes a couple of days to beat it for me, but those couple of days are simply magical. WoW takes weeks or even months to enjoy to its fullest, and even then it isn't as good. Still, I wouldn't have stuck around for 8 years if it wasn't in my top 10 games at least.

Now of course this is all subjective.

Deleted
    No, simply no. I like WoW and have played it a large amount over the years, and will no doubt continue to. Easily my most played game.

BUT, a big but. A sweeping statement like 'Best Game Ever' is not only wrong its totally irrelevant. Its like saying best film ever, best song ever or best fruit ever. It doesn't mean a thing and is subject to personal opinion. Statements such as 'Most successful MMO' would be entirely true, 'Best Game Ever' could be anything from chess to football to poker to hide and seek. Let alone any computer game and board game ever made.

and you think that would be World of Warcraft... just no.

I like World of Warcraft as much as the next man, but it is derivitive and sometimes outright frustrating and dull. I couldn't play this game exclusively over all others and there are other games i have more fun playing. Can we just say 'Best MMO' and leave it at that?

15+ Year Old Account
    Never was the best MMO / game.

Asheron's Call is the best game of all time.

Get on my level.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phasma View Post
    If it wasn't for the community, WoW would be a terrible game. Playing the game alone is the worst experience ever. Blizzard is just lucky they have an awesome fan base.
    Very true words here

Deleted
    Of course it's the best game ever. Did that only occur to you now?

I've thought that since years.

There is one game that comes close, and gives WoW some serious competition:

Journey

If anyone has played this on PS3, they will understand.

Wildstar will give Wow some huge hassle.

Yes, I know, when I new mmo comes out, people say "wow killer" and it fails, but this game looks SOOOOO good...

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    I can safely say, in my own personal opinion on this subject, without any broad stroke generalizations, or trying to speak for anyone but myself, this is the greatest MMO of all time. I've tried the rest and keep coming back to WoW. It is unlike any other MMO on the planet.
    Yea wow is great and atm best mmo what theres out but truth is its still missing quite lot and overall it aint that great! Its decent in my eyes its still missing so much what they took away from us but well cant speak for other 7m or so

yup, WoW is the best MMO ever. just like mcdonalds is the best food ever. and windows is the best OS ever. and china is the best country ever.

most popular is not the same as best.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by profanity79 View Post
    No, simply no. I like WoW and have played it a large amount over the years, and will no doubt continue to. Easily my most played game.

BUT, a big but. A sweeping statement like 'Best Game Ever' is not only wrong its totally irrelevant. Its like saying best film ever, best song ever or best fruit ever. It doesn't mean a thing and is subject to personal opinion. Statements such as 'Most successful MMO' would be entirely true, 'Best Game Ever' could be anything from chess to football to poker to hide and seek. Let alone any computer game and board game ever made.

and you think that would be World of Warcraft... just no.

I like World of Warcraft as much as the next man, but it is derivitive and sometimes outright frustrating and dull. I couldn't play this game exclusively over all others and there are other games i have more fun playing. Can we just say 'Best MMO' and leave it at that?
    Like I said in my OP, just my personal opinion. I've never played any game more than WoW, and never had the desire. I would try others, hit lvl cap, get bored, go back to WoW.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherloc View Post

Yes, I know, when I new mmo comes out, people say "wow killer" and it fails, but this game looks SOOOOO good...
    In contrast, I think that game looks awful. But again.. this is all subjective. Wildstar will be a game I don't even consider unless a couple of my friends are completely hooked on it. WoW Is definitely in my top 5 games of all time. #1 MMO for me and I've played EQ, EQ2, Rift, FFXIV, and many more. WoW doesn't touch some console games ive played (Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Trigger, Lufia 2 to name a couple) but it is certainly up there.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Best game ever. Hands down.

Here's why:

1. Story- despite what many people view as bad narrative in many places, the WoW story and lore associated with it is rich and varied. It's complexity and detail are hard to compete with in a game setting. Sometimes the story is confusing or convoluted, a problem made worse by the way it must be delivered through the MMO, but Blizzard tends to do a very good job in telling the story anyway. You can literally lose yourself for days studying up and learning about all the lore WoW has to offer.

2. Azeroth (and other lands associated)- Azeroth is huge. You travel across all of it on your character, but there is ALWAYS more to see- little nooks and crannies you never knew existed. It's beautiful artwork. Zones are obviously created with a high attention to visual detail, and we as players reap the intrinsic rewards of this. Creating a WORLD is hard work, and if you don't believe that, try it yourself.

3. Your character is whatever you want him/her to be- You're not playing some pre-designed character whose story has already been written. You have so many choices for customization between faction/race/gender/class/transmog/gameplay style that you're character really is unique, and plays a unique part in the story of WoW. You can be the heroic raider smashing down world firsts, or that guy/girl with 10,000 alts, or the lone wolf manipulating the auction house and accumulating a vast fortune. In the end, you do whatever interests you.

4. In game economy- I think a game which can generate a real, and viable in-game world economy speaks for itself.

5. Staying power- Perhaps its no longer at it's height in terms of subscription numbers, but a this game still draws MILLIONS of people in to play it, and it has been for a decade. The best part is that it's still actively evolving. Even the early RTS games are considered some of the giants of the video game industry, and the MMO is of course the giant all other MMO's are measured by. I've played for years, and even if my game play has evolved to much more casual, I'll still play until the end.

6. WoW makes you smarter- you may wonder at this. Think about it. Games in general (but WoW especially) challenge players, most of whom are young, to sharpen their reflexes and speed up critical thinking skills. Play the AH and learn the basics of economics. Raid and learn how to process lots of information with lightning speed and reflexes. PVP and learn how to critically plan out each and every move you make, and do so while drawing on whatever knowledge you possess about the class you're fighting. Study the lore and learn things about how to tell/write stories what makes a story good vs. bad. Customize your own UI and learn about graphic design. All these things and more are in this game, and it really does make you smarter.

Everything listed above can be found in other games, but only WoW brings all these things together in one overwhelmingly awesome package. And no matter how many times the devs wave the nerf stick at my particular class, or change the mechanics on raiding, or take away flying for a patch, or change how my alts interact with my main, or "dumb down the game," I still come back. I still get that itch. And you know what? That's perfectly fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherloc View Post

No it won't. It would be NDA breaking to tell you why though, just trust me when I say that most people won't even make it past level 10 in that game either. Can it shave off some subs? Sure, depends how far along WoD is when it's released though. The only real, big competitor would be TESO. And that is down to 20 years of lore and being a giant IP in the game industry with an obsessed fanbase. Just like the Warcraft fanbase. Both are titans...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabber View Post
    Best game ever. Hands down.

Here's why:

1. Story- despite what many people view as bad narrative in many places, the WoW story and lore associated with it is rich and varied. It's complexity and detail are hard to compete with in a game setting. Sometimes the story is confusing or convoluted, a problem made worse by the way it must be delivered through the MMO, but Blizzard tends to do a very good job in telling the story anyway. You can literally lose yourself for days studying up and learning about all the lore WoW has to offer.

2. Azeroth (and other lands associated)- Azeroth is huge. You travel across all of it on your character, but there is ALWAYS more to see- little nooks and crannies you never knew existed. It's beautiful artwork. Zones are obviously created with a high attention to visual detail, and we as players reap the intrinsic rewards of this. Creating a WORLD is hard work, and if you don't believe that, try it yourself.

3. Your character is whatever you want him/her to be- You're not playing some pre-designed character whose story has already been written. You have so many choices for customization between faction/race/gender/class/transmog/gameplay style that you're character really is unique, and plays a unique part in the story of WoW. You can be the heroic raider smashing down world firsts, or that guy/girl with 10,000 alts, or the lone wolf manipulating the auction house and accumulating a vast fortune. In the end, you do whatever interests you.

4. In game economy- I think a game which can generate a real, and viable in-game world economy speaks for itself.

5. Staying power- Perhaps its no longer at it's height in terms of subscription numbers, but a this game still draws MILLIONS of people in to play it, and it has been for a decade. The best part is that it's still actively evolving. Even the early RTS games are considered some of the giants of the video game industry, and the MMO is of course the giant all other MMO's are measured by. I've played for years, and even if my game play has evolved to much more casual, I'll still play until the end.

6. WoW makes you smarter- you may wonder at this. Think about it. Games in general (but WoW especially) challenge players, most of whom are young, to sharpen their reflexes and speed up critical thinking skills. Play the AH and learn the basics of economics. Raid and learn how to process lots of information with lightning speed and reflexes. PVP and learn how to critically plan out each and every move you make, and do so while drawing on whatever knowledge you possess about the class you're fighting. Study the lore and learn things about how to tell/write stories what makes a story good vs. bad. Customize your own UI and learn about graphic design. All these things and more are in this game, and it really does make you smarter.

Everything listed above can be found in other games, but only WoW brings all these things together in one overwhelmingly awesome package. And no matter how many times the devs wave the nerf stick at my particular class, or change the mechanics on raiding, or take away flying for a patch, or change how my alts interact with my main, or "dumb down the game," I still come back. I still get that itch. And you know what? That's perfectly fine with me.
    Yeah, totally this. Good points.

I wanted to make my own opinion.

Why is WoW the best game ever?

Not raiding. Not PvP. Not even endgame at all.

Leveling. No, you did not mishear me, leveling.

The zones. The music. The adventure. The stories.

Thats why I love WoW.

/melodrama over

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, it is the exploration. I love just mounting up and flying off. I can go anywhere. Some floating rock waterfall in Nagrand, the top of Mount Neverest in Pandaria, the top of the Storm Peaks in Outlands. On my Druid, I just shift into Aquatic form, or use my Deep Dive helm on my ENG and head for the bottom of the ocean. So many sites to see and so many wonders to behold. Not counting the great and even sad memories. I miss South Shore so much sometimes, I go to CoT and run into the Durnholde mission just to ride to Southshore and sit in the Inn. I spent weeks there grinding to lvl 40 in TBC when chasing my first mount. Lots of vivid memories for me.

I can agree with you in the "best MMO" part but the best game ever, I don't think so, there are a lot of great game franchises like Mario, Zelda, FF, MGS, HL, ME, GTA, RE, SF, NWN etc... the whole Warcraft series is great but.. not the best

Deleted
    Black & White was my BEST.EVER

I haven't played since the last days of the Lich King except for a couple days using the free 7 days try outs, but I still watch everything that happens to WoW more or less. And that is a huge compliment to the game.
    What get's me most excited is the WC Movie and the almost guaranteed series to follow after it, retelling the Warcraft story. I seriously think Blizzard would be kind of pioneers in a new genre of gaming/movie mixture and I can't wait to see it knowing how awesome their expansion cinematics are.

Deleted
    Yeah it is greatest made mmorpg !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GLorym View Post
    I haven't played since the last days of the Lich King except for a couple days using the free 7 days try outs, but I still watch everything that happens to WoW more or less. And that is a huge compliment to the game.
    What get's me most excited is the WC Movie and the almost guaranteed series to follow after it, retelling the Warcraft story. I seriously think Blizzard would be kind of pioneers in a new genre of gaming/movie mixture and I can't wait to see it knowing how awesome their expansion cinematics are.
    I love this statement. I think it is a testament to a lot of people's feeling on the matter and certainly goes well with how I view the game. No matter what else I play or try, I always come home to WoW.

When my computer was driven by a Radeon 9250 in 200.........2?, I was still playing CS1.6 when BF2 came out in 2004-2005 cause my computer couldn't support it. When I got a GeForce 6600GT, I didn't touch CS1.6 for like 2 years.

Now that I'm on a GeForce 8600M GT, WoW is the only mmo that I can play on medium-low settings and have fun in it, but if I had my brother's computer in which I put a GeForce 660GTX, I'd be in TOR/GW2/Firefall/LOTRO all day.

I know this since when he was away from a month and I had his computer to myself all day, after 1 week I would think about WoW like "why the hell did I waste my time with that shit?". Now that he's gone WoW is like the best thing ever available to me, but it's more of a sort of Stockholm syndrome I think.

Finally, I don't come back to WoW because of WoW, but because of WC2 and WC3. I play mostly for the lore and for the RP in my head as I run around with my hunter pretending I'm Alleria Windrunner exacting vengeance on the Horde in PVP. If WC2 and 3 hadn't made the impressions they made on me when I was young (like 8 and 12 years old), I'd probably have much less investment in the MMO.
    Last edited by Ballantines; 2013-11-18 at 10:04 PM.