Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    DA was not half-assed, it was a fully formed suite of tanking mechanics that was gutted before Beta ended.

oh man, those were the days
    (wistful twinkle in the eye....)
    glyph of demon hunting was made to be an "oh shit" button for when the tanks die. THAT IS ALL. it was abused in beta and still being abused in live. it needs removed.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

welcome to, what like, 8 months ago, this has been talked about for so long, you didnt just come up with a solution. Also this will never happen, Blizz will either add a Demon Hunter class or they won't. They won't half ass it. Also Demon Hunters are nothing like Warlocks. Unless you think Shaman and Mages are similar cause they have fire spells

What the heck are trainers used for now?

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grimsanta View Post
    What the heck are trainers used for now?
    I think just fully changing your spec to one you don't have?

Pretty much everything else can be used with the tome thingies, like glyph/talent swaps.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    I seriously hope warlocks never get a tank spec, I don't want to be expected to have to tank on my warlock, at all.
    Then don't. Trouble is, a lot of Warlocks also liked the semi-tank aspect the Warlock had for years. Its arguably an aspect that the class still can have.

It is still possible to add a demon hunter as it's own class. Just because warlocks, rogues and priests has some of their WC3 abilities doesn't mean you can't have another class with the same spells.
    Sure its possible Does anyone really see Blizzard adding another Demon themed class to the game? I don't. Do you see them copying over Metamorphosis to a new Demon Hunter Class? I don't. No matter how much players say they want to to play a Demon Hunter, Blizzards first duty is to protect what it already has. As such, it will not create a class with such a large overlap in theme and look to an already existing class. It will not reverse a 8 year old design direction.

Just like warlocks once had death coil, not mortal coil. But once DK's where added, the warlock spell changed name.
    A non issue when you get down to it. The issue is theme, look and flavor. What a DH has in that, Warlocks now own lock, stock and barrel. Blizzard could even have worked around the Meta issue. But not this.

If you want a non Warlock Demon Hunter, then you need to develop an idea that doesn't cross over into the theme, look or feel of Warlocks, or any other class. But then, you end up with a class which simply has the same name but is totally different.

EJL

Fourth spec?! Surely you jest...

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    I think just fully changing your spec to one you don't have?

Pretty much everything else can be used with the tome thingies, like glyph/talent swaps.
    And training dual spec. And eye candy. Mostly eye candy.

Demon hunters would be its only class
    Dual wield tank spec/dual wield melee dps spec/ and either a range dps or caster dps spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the volcanic ashlands of northwestern Georgia (Also known as Atlanta).
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    demon hunter and warlocks are not the same. warlock's only have 2 demon hunter moves because they siphon them. Metamorphosis and immolation.
    warlocks used fel magic mostly and sometimes shadow magic.
    Demon hunters use fire and arcane magic. they are usually come from warrior, mages, and druids.
    warlocks are power hungry fools.
    demon hunters sacrifice their body and souls for the greater good.
    also the glyph of demon hunting should have never even been put in the game.

http://wowpedia.org/Demon_hunter
    Of course they're not the same, which is why there'd be a seperate spec that lore / rp-wise would be a seperate class.

Enhancment Shaman do this all the time when they want to pretend to be a shadow hunter. It's a similar idea: enhancement shaman have a lot of the shadow hunter spells, so people use enhancement when they wanna be a shadow hunter (unfortunately they cant use throwing spears / bows but that's another topic).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    Still it wouldnt make sense to suddenly have dozens of demon hunters running around especially when Illidan and most of the demon hunters are dead/lone wolves.
    Doesn't make sense to have dozens of paladins either when lore-wise they're an elite force of incredibly disciplined supernatural warriors. We're just used to them being everywhere because it's a class. On rp servers we've learned to accept and adapt to certain game mechanics. Warlocks rarely have their demons out in public for example, because lore-wise they'd be ridiculed and reviled for it. Demon hunters would likely behave in similar ways, acting secretly and not drawing attention to themselves.

It works with a bit of imagination, just like many other classes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowJester View Post
    welcome to, what like, 8 months ago, this has been talked about for so long, you didnt just come up with a solution. Also this will never happen, Blizz will either add a Demon Hunter class or they won't. They won't half ass it. Also Demon Hunters are nothing like Warlocks. Unless you think Shaman and Mages are similar cause they have fire spells
    I also don't think shaman and shadow hunters are the same, even though enhancement shaman have most of their abilities. But enhancement shaman is still a viable option for those that want to roleplay shadow hunters, because they're similar enough in theme and playstyle.

You need to understand that game mechanics aren't literal, and your own imagination and established lore trumps them. There are no "specs" in the actual warcraft universe. Classes are not set in stone at all (Plenty of npcs and lore characters have 2 or 3 classes). This is a roleplaying game, and your own backstory, imagination, and understanding of the lore go above the game mechanics.
    Last edited by Psychotrip; 2013-11-19 at 11:18 PM.

Deleted
    Well, I agree this would be a good compromise solution.

Warlocks want a tanking spec anyway, and the game needs more tanks. Besides that, Warlock tank has many similarities with Demon Hunter, so with enough tweaks it would make perfect sense.

I know I'd roll one immediately. I'm currently only using Destruction anyway because Affliction and Demonology just don't interest me anymore. My 2nd talent options are just gathering dust. But a Warlock tank? I'd roll one definitely.

Also, to the person saying Demon Hunters are way different from Warlocks in lore: I tend to disagree. Illidan became a Demon Hunter due to fighting the Burning Legion and studying them. Later he got 'gifts' from Sargeras personally, which made him understand demonic magic (like Immolation aura and such). And it was the Skull of Gul'dan (a Warlock... no, THE Warlock) that got him to learn Metamorphosis. If anything, Demon Hunters and Warlocks have a LOT in common, it would make perfect sense to make Demon Hunter the 4th Warlock spec.

And no, Paladin as a 4th Priest spec wouldn't make sense because one uses Cloth and a Staff while the other Plate and a Hammer/Sword. At least Demon Hunters wear light armor like a Warlock, they would only need to tweak the visual of Robes on a Demon Hunter to show like a Vest.

In the end this implementation would need some tweaks to keep everyone happy (you don't want a Demon Hunter wearing a robe and a staff for example), but it's still the easiest solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Well, I agree this would be a good compromise solution.

Warlocks want a tanking spec anyway, and the game needs more tanks. Besides that, Warlock tank has many similarities with Demon Hunter, so with enough tweaks it would make perfect sense.

I know I'd roll one immediately. I'm currently only using Destruction anyway because Affliction and Demonology just don't interest me anymore. My 2nd talent options are just gathering dust. But a Warlock tank? I'd roll one definitely.

Also, to the person saying Demon Hunters are way different from Warlocks in lore: I tend to disagree. Illidan became a Demon Hunter due to fighting the Burning Legion and studying them. Later he got 'gifts' from Sargeras personally, which made him understand demonic magic (like Immolation aura and such). And it was the Skull of Gul'dan (a Warlock... no, THE Warlock) that got him to learn Metamorphosis. If anything, Demon Hunters and Warlocks have a LOT in common, it would make perfect sense to make Demon Hunter the 4th Warlock spec.

And no, Paladin as a 4th Priest spec wouldn't make sense because one uses Cloth and a Staff while the other Plate and a Hammer/Sword. At least Demon Hunters wear light armor like a Warlock, they would only need to tweak the visual of Robes on a Demon Hunter to show like a Vest.

In the end this implementation would need some tweaks to keep everyone happy (you don't want a Demon Hunter wearing a robe and a staff for example), but it's still the easiest solution.
    http://wowpedia.org/Warlocks

they are not the same. no where close to it. the people asking for demon hunters want it as its own class. i already listed off 3 spec of what it could have

10+ Year Old Account
    http://wowpedia.org/Warlocks

they are not the same. no where close to it. the people asking for demon hunters want it as its own class. i already listed off 3 spec of what it could have
    Please read my above post where I address what you said about them not being the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotrip View Post
    Please read my above post where I address what you said about them not being the same.
    warlocks are power hungry, they siphon powers from dead enemies. warlocks siphoned metamorphosis off illidan.

10+ Year Old Account
    warlocks are power hungry, they siphon powers from dead enemies. warlocks siphoned metamorphosis off illidan.
    Please refer to the part of that same post when I mention lore, roleplay, backstories, and game mechanics.

Please refer to the part of that same post when I mention lore, roleplay, backstories, and game mechanics.
    omg. it doesnt make sense as a 4th spec for warlocks.

Lore states warlocks are power hungry assholes. Lore states Demon hunters sacrifice everything to fight for whats right.

10+ Year Old Account
    omg. it doesnt make sense as a 4th spec for warlocks.

Lore states warlocks are power hungry assholes. Lore states Demon hunters sacrifice everything to fight for whats right.
    You're not understanding that lore-wise they'd be seperate. It's something that's commonplace on rp servers where we know that many game mechanics dont exist lore-wise. Blizzard even supports things like this by giving us spells from lore-classes and minor glyphs that are reminiscent of non-playable classes. It's why arms warriors can call themselves blademasters, why shaman can call themselves shadow hunters, it's why warriors have a lot of glyphs that make their abilities look more magical. "Classes" are not set in stone in the warcraft universe. They're vague archetypes with a lot wiggle room. Specs dont exist either. The fact is that if a demon hunter spec existed, it would not "lore-wise" be a warlock. It would be a seperate profession with similar spells, just like the warlock has similar spells as a demon hunter.

You're not understanding that lore-wise they'd be seperate. It's something that's commonplace on rp servers where we know that many game mechanics dont exist lore-wise. Blizzard even supports things like this by giving us spells from lore-classes and minor glyphs that are reminiscent of non-playable classes. It's why arms warriors can call themselves blademasters, why shaman can call themselves shadow hunters, it's why warriors have a lot of glyphs that make their abilities look more magical. "Classes" are not set in stone in the warcraft universe. They're vague archetypes with a lot wiggle room. Specs dont exist either. The fact is that if a demon hunter spec existed, it would not "lore-wise" be a warlock. It would be a seperate profession with similar spells, just like the warlock has similar spells as a demon hunter.
    lore wise they are different and they would game wise they would be different. THEY MAKE NO SENSE AS A 4TH SPEC FOR WARLOCKS. they only share 2 abilities and 1 of them the stole and immolation for demon hunters is a flame damage aura not a DOT.
    demon hunters would be their own class with Melee dual wield tank spec/melee dual wield dps spec/either a ranged or caster dps spec.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is the first good suggestion I've seen for this issue. I like it a lot.

i like the idea and i have a secondary attachment idea.

why not make the fourth spec unlockable by a secret quest chain of sorts that leads to these trainers.

if you find the trainers in the wild they are hostile to you and just show as Name <Demon Hunter>
    if you are on the appropriate part of the quest chain they are not longer hostile and can teach you the spec.

unlockable fourth spec, demon hunter for warlocks....hmmmmm
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

its not a solution. warlocks do not need to tank.
    demon hunter would be its own class.