Poll: Could you ever do that?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

3 steps to relive that feeling you had when you started!

1. Create a complete new Battle.net account, buy World of Warcraft for it.
    2. When starting to play, don't join any guilds because they give you XP perks, etc
    3. Last but not least, don't ever learn to fly in Azeroth or anywhere.

Perhaps you won't relive that feeling 100%, but at least you'll be playing like the game was new.

- - - Updated - - -

Starting a new Battle.net will:
    Make so you have 0 achievements, give you some joy back to achieving those again, more goals.
    Can't leap into temptations by sending heirlooms to yourself.

--

Slow down, enjoy yourself

the only time i have that feeling, is the first time i level trough an expansion, i usually do loremaster on my first lvl 90, just to enjoy the feeling for as long as possible.

I also get to re-create that feeling when i play new games, or return to one of the older games i used to play.
    just starting anew doesn't do it for me. as i've seen it all before.

but if you have not level trough the catacylsm zones yet (the lvl 1-60 content) i suggest you do without xp boosters (hirelooms, guilds) was an amazing feeling.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

You know, most heroine addicts are the way they are because they are trying to chase that first high again. Why not move on? There are plenty of new things to experience and do.

Where's the "no, this doesn't work because I unfortunately know 90% of the quests by memory" option?
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    All of the zones are different now.

I did that, and the leveling wasn't immersive at all. It's still too quick and the changes to some zones (especially westfall) are just bad. Not to mention the whole "no night time" thing...

I liked the old slow pace that let you enjoy the world and it felt dangerous enough that even people like ME grouped up with others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Where's the "no, this doesn't work because I unfortunately know 90% of the quests by memory" option?
    That would be option 5, facedesk so hard at the OP that you get amnesia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Strafir View Post
    You know, most heroine addicts are the way they are because they are trying to chase that first high again. Why not move on? There are plenty of new things to experience and do.
    Please don't compare heroine with wanting to play World of Warcraft from the start without heirlooms or any achievements
    I often begon from the beginning in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, as they don't share anything between characters, it's a clean start and that can be fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaige View Post
    I did that, and the leveling wasn't immersive at all. It's still too quick and the changes to some zones (especially westfall) are just bad. Not to mention the whole "no night time" thing...
    It's hard to do quests at that level when the gear is not so easily obtained with no gold, no heirlooms, it's challenging and more rewarding as you stay alive and do things. Not just that, entire new quests from Cataclysm is actually not bad, they are cool!

Not trying to come off rude and all but, how about changing the name of the thread to:

Easiest way to somehow somewhat closely mimic that feeling of when you started!

Step 1: Download a private Vanilla only server.
    Step 2: Play.

Probably the best way to do it!

Also much more rewarding feel to finding a rare at lower level or obtaining new gear as you have -nothing-, you are as new as anyone else.
    Good feeling!

Sorry but no.

If you truly want to relive it, you need to go to a Vanilla/TBC/WOTLK Server.

Not having a flying mount while everyone else has it, gives you a huge disadvantage at farming nodes. You'll reach it with your normal mount then SWOOP, someone got it before you. That is not immersive that is annoying. If everyone would not have flying then sure your idea might work.... but then you will STILL not be immersed like at the start of WoW.

Why?
    - enemies hit like a wet piece of paper
    - enemies take hits like a wet piece of paper
    - there is almost zero risk of dying even without heirlooms
    - your skills are totally not the same as in Vanilla or other expansions that came later
    - you might not have heirlooms or other bonus experience, but you will still level so much faster due to Blizzard nerfing the leveling content
    - prices for getting a mount are silly > it used to take you so much saving that you might be able to buy a mount around level 43 (if you weren't that particularly busy with AH)
    - prices for learning to ride are silly
    - prices for learning skills were still in place, and those weren't cheap at all
    - you had to learn skills by visiting a trainer

But yeah in the offficial ways of trying to get the old experience back.... your way is basically the ONLY way.

But I wouldn't bother with it.

no.
    I enjoy wow WAY more now then when I started, and i started in V so it sill wouldn't be even close to the same.... and if you are not enjoying the game... why are you playing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightslayer7 View Post
    Not trying to come off rude and all but, how about changing the name of the thread to:

Easiest way to somehow somewhat closely mimic that feeling of when you started!

Step 1: Download a private Vanilla only server.
    Step 2: Play.

Probably the best way to do it!
    Thats what I do.

I also play retail for raiding. The amount of times people say we loved the old expansions for "nostalgia" makes me laugh because I still play those expansions =)

One of the feelings for me involved the world player interaction and forming groups for group quests or dungeons that just doesnt exist anymore. Dang my first dungeon VC had players using CC in it and talking with each other; you cant even have that in todays "heroics". Perhaps if I played WoW for a solo RPG experience then I would get somewhat closer that that feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMxyzptlk View Post
    no.
    I enjoy wow WAY more now then when I started, and i started in V so it sill wouldn't be even close to the same.... and if you are not enjoying the game... why are you playing it?
    Not about not enjoying the game.
    It's about the whole generation of heirlooms, XP bonuses, guild perks, just made people forget about the joy of being in the world of Azeroth.
    They just wanna go from 1 to 90 instantly, LFR raid and normal raid and that's yeah.

While putting a new Battle.net + WoW will actually make you start remember how it is, you can't go pick your heirlooms and you have no achievements, so suddenly you have a lot more new goals to obtain!

Like a new beginning

10+ Year Old Account
    I could always try walking everywhere and equipping terribly itemized gear without having to spend actual money.

Then again, my 11 90s, Onyxian Drake, 14885 Achievement Points and full sets of heirlooms say fuck off with all that noise.

for me i'd need to lose my memory to relive that feeling. my first feelings of warcraft was wearing agility gear on a priest cause i didnt know. and my first memory is being a lvl 7ish undead priest in tirisfal glades and encoutering a Human named NPC. he was one of those ones needed for a quest but he was rock hard and higher level and one shot me and my friends and we thought that because of his unique name and being a human that he was a player character and that some alliance c*nt was ganking us. so we raced back from the graveyard over and over and over and over again trying to kill him for revenge. l in order to relive those feelings i'd have to have a serious concussion or something.
    The kiss of the sun for pardon
    The song of the birds for mirth
    You are nearer gods heart in a garden
    Than anywhere else on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    This.
    Also, I can't "forget" how to make gold, how to kill mobs more efficiently, what gear to use, how to play any class properly.

The only way I can relive it is if someday they make a brand new WoW that I know nothing about.
    http://samaramon.co/
    My transmog & misc. blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    1. Create a complete new Battle.net account, buy World of Warcraft for it.
    2. When starting to play, don't join any guilds because they give you XP perks, etc
    3. Last but not least, don't ever learn to fly in Azeroth or anywhere.

Perhaps you won't relive that feeling 100%, but at least you'll be playing like the game was new.

- - - Updated - - -

Starting a new Battle.net will:
    Make so you have 0 achievements, give you some joy back to achieving those again, more goals.
    Can't leap into temptations by sending heirlooms to yourself.

--

Slow down, enjoy yourself
    these things have nothing to do with the original ´wow´ feeling. And you obviously are a newer player if you metnioned acheivements, since they weren´t around back then.

As someone else said, a new expansion is the only thing that brings that back because you don´t know what is over the next hill. You don´t know if that mob is dangerous.

If I do everythign you said, my brain still knows all the maps, all the mobs, spells and talents.. It does nothing to recreate the original wow to do what you said.

Step 1: Obtain a time-machine
    Step 2: You haven't finished step one yet.