Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question why another 10 level expansion?

did blizzard mention why they went back to the 10 level formula? what didn't work with a 5 level expansion?
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    did blizzard mention why they went back to the 10 level formula? what didn't work with a 5 level expansion?
    Because they felt 95 was a weird thing to stop at, with as close as it was to 100.
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

b.c they felt if offered a better leveling experience and felt less grindy basically. Its the illusion that if your "dinging" more often it feels less like a grind even if its the same overall increase in XP as 5 levels would be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    b.c they felt if offered a better leveling experience and felt less grindy basically. Its the illusion that if your "dinging" more often it feels less like a grind even if its the same overall increase in XP as 5 levels would be.
    This. And though I hate leveling, if I have to level I want it to feel like there is a reason. 5 levels is annoying, especially with how much they try and stretch it out. It's not fun. 84-85 and 89-90 were fucking terrible grinds because of the stupid 5 levels.

Its one of those old things that I actually approve coming back

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    This, when it takes you 5-6 hours as an experienced player to get one level (89-90. Pre nerfs) it feels extremely Grindy and unrewarding. With 10 levels it gives the illusion that your being rewarded more for your efforts even if its still taking the same amount of time to complete the content (85-90, 90-100). Personally I prefer 10 levels

It it takes, lets say 20 hours on average, to reach max level when an expansion is launched, what difference does it make if it's 5 or 10 levels?

wtf, how are you not banned for that sig?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    This. And though I hate leveling, if I have to level I want it to feel like there is a reason. 5 levels is annoying, especially with how much they try and stretch it out. It's not fun. 84-85 and 89-90 were fucking terrible grinds because of the stupid 5 levels.
    Tbh, I didn't find 89-90 particularly grindy. I got most of Dread Wastes done (Every chain + Klaxxi to honored unlocking a couple of extra Paragons, minus Mazu's chain and the paragon attached to that) and I actually enjoyed it. I definitely agree that 84-85 was a grind, the only reprieve in comparison was that CoC gave you a reasonable chunk that the Pandaria one didn't, as it requires 90 (I think? I know I've never done it before).

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael123 View Post
    It it takes, lets say 20 hours on average, to reach max level when an expansion is launched, what difference does it make if it's 5 or 10 levels?
    None, it's about perception of speed. If people feel like they're progressively leveling up every 2-3 hours as opposed to every 4-5 they'll subconsciously think "this is going faster" in comparison to previous experiences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Better flow I imagine. Not having to milk the last level for two and a half zones and allowing them to slowly hand out the "permanent buffs" as they go. It also allows them to start with smaller stat increases, keeping the curve flatter after squish.
    You either die a Varian, or live long enough to see yourself become a Thrall...

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperomegaOP View Post
    wtf, how are you not banned for that sig?
    what do u mean. whats wrong with my sig
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    what do u mean. whats wrong with my sig
    I think he was referring to the guy who posted an image of Boxxy's face photoshopped with a man performing a rather crude sexual act. Has since been removed.

Plus, more of these apparent spell alterations with more levels. Should be fun.

100 is a nice round number, and it helps eliminate speculation that the game will "end" at lvl 100. When you reach it in WOD and there's quite clearly more expansions / content ahead, it'll put to rest that notion.

10 levels taking the time of 5 feels better than 5 levels taking the time of 5.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Agreed. Even if its purely psychological, spending 50 hours leveling 10 times is more enjoyable than spending 50 hours leveling 5 times.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post
    Because they felt 95 was a weird thing to stop at, with as close as it was to 100.
    ??? This isn't the last expansion. Pretty sure you just made that up.

What's been the only expansion where the max level has ended in a 5? Cata.

What's the expansion that is widely regarded among the community as the worst? Cata.

Blizzard's just taking extra precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post
    This. Why else do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Oncereborn View Post
    This, when it takes you 5-6 hours as an experienced player to get one level (89-90. Pre nerfs)
    You must have been doing something wrong.