Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question How will Garrisons promote player interaction?

I am i missing something or how will it (what are the devs thoughts and hopes on the matter)? The way i see it after reading/hearing about it, it seems to me that it will do nothing to promote player interaction, rather the opposite, it will make the need to do so even less which is rather wierd in an mmorpg right? Feels like WoW has gone from player interaction to more and more of a singelplayer game...

if you spend 100% of your time in the garrison, then i guess you are right.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melak View Post
    I am i missing something or how will it (what are the devs thoughts and hopes on the matter)? The way i see it after reading/hearing about it, it seems to me that it will do nothing to promote player interaction, rather the opposite, it will make the need to do so even less which is rather wierd in an mmorpg right? Feels like WoW has gone from player interaction to more and more of a singelplayer game...
    To make buildings it will require gold and building materials, like lumber and stone. Those are gathered from your garrison or someone else's garrison. I don't know if it is just another resource that can be traded or if it has to be traded via a garrison UI, but there is that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    if you spend 100% of your time in the garrison, then i guess you are right.
    The point is (if you actually took the question/issue seriously) is that they will give you resources from doing no work yourself, they will also enable you a lot of the professions yourself (will make trades decline etc) and i know already that you wont be able to get all at the same time, and that you cant make all. I think that they should have designed it in a way that it would encourage player interaction rather than the opposite for an mmorpg.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    To make buildings it will require gold and building materials, like lumber and stone. Those are gathered from your garrison or someone else's garrison. I don't know if it is just another resource that can be traded or if it has to be traded via a garrison UI, but there is that.
    They should have designed the entire thing (if its actually worth keeping) to become something that connects players more. Just look at how you setup a group for a dungeon in Vanilla wow, you had to interact with other people (which is one of the fundamental ideas of an mmorpg)

Thr purpose of the garrison is not to promote player interaction. Just like it wasn't for the farm.

Who gives a shit? Fuck this game's community. I'm riding the "single player with friends" train all the way to the station.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saroc View Post
    Thr purpose of the garrison is not to promote player interaction. Just like it wasn't for the farm.
    Which is wierd, why build something that large that wont make you interact with others in an mmorpg O.o there are singelplayer games for a reason id say.

Its not intended for player interaction, even if it is an MMO not all the content needs to require interaction with the player base. You don't interact in proving grounds and yet they are saying if you get gold in proving grounds you get to do lfr with a lower ilevel. You don't interact with your farm and yet you are getting a farm in the garrison. You don't interact when in Thunderkings treasure trove. They are there because they give you something fun to do while in the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeTwelve View Post
    Who gives a shit? Fuck this game's community. I'm riding the "single player with friends" train all the way to the station.
    Seems WoWs playerbase have shifted towards that over the years, we got LFD, LFR and all that due to people not wanting to even talk to other people in a freaking mmorpg... that just says it all.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can invite your friends if you like. You can invite your whole guild over if you wish. Other than that, not every thing in the game requires or even should require player interaction. In this case you have a choice. If a friend of yours needs some mats and your garrison can provide them my understanding is that you can trade them.

Having choices is probably more important to most players than forced player interaction with people they don't know, care about or would even wish to meet. No one wants or needs that sort of player interaction.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Its not intended for player interaction, even if it is an MMO not all the content needs to require interaction with the player base. You don't interact in proving grounds and yet they are saying if you get gold in proving grounds you get to do lfr with a lower ilevel. You don't interact with your farm and yet you are getting a farm in the garrison. You don't interact when in Thunderkings treasure trove. They are there because they give you something fun to do while in the game.
    Seems there are two groups on this forum, the honest ones and the ones that blindly accepts everything... kinda how apple fans think/act O.o in a game and genre that is focused and born from player interaction, to stray from it... well never mind, seems people here just want a singeplayer game where they can get their epics without talking or getting to know other people... ./quit discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    You can invite your friends if you like. You can invite your whole guild over if you wish. Other than that, not every thing in the game requires or even should require player interaction. In this case you have a choice. If a friend of yours needs some mats and your garrison can provide them my understanding is that you can trade them.

Having choices is probably more important to most players than forced player interaction with people they don't know, care about or would even wish to meet. No one wants or needs that sort of player interaction.
    Look at wows history of development and you know what im talking about... mmorpg should encourage players to interact, not hide away from it.

Seems there are two groups on this forum, the honest ones and the ones that blindly accepts everything...
    ..and there went whatever credibility you had.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    well presumably i guess theyre hoping people will invite their friends to check it out and come inside their garrisons? i dunno. it seems to me like its just a step closer to full blown player housing and/or guild housing which is not something that is interesting to me at all.

the only cosmetic things i care about in games like WoW, SWOTR, GW2 are gear. i dont log in to games like those to decorate a house or a ship or use the game as a chat room. i log in to kill dragons, aliens and other various life forms. if i wanted to decorate or design a house id play a sim game.

but to each their own, if it makes people happy more power to 'em. its just not a feature im interested in

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They were recently (in the newest interview in fact) talking about how they're confident they can insert multiplayer and player interaction into the garrisons once they've established the initial goal of getting something personal and fun for the individual. Makes sense really, if it's not fun and engaging for the one then it won't be any more fun for two or more people.
    Butts.

Seems there are two groups on this forum, the honest ones and the ones that blindly accepts everything... kinda how apple fans think/act O.o in a game and genre that is focused and born from player interaction, to stray from it... well never mind, seems people here just want a singeplayer game where they can get their epics without talking or getting to know other people... ./quit discussion.
    WoW is actually late on the bandwagon for player housing. Really late. There are MMOs older than it that had it before it came out.

Stop trying to lecture us on the genre when you're clearly clueless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at wows history of development and you know what im talking about... mmorpg should encourage players to interact, not hide away from it.
    I'm perfectly content to choose who I interact with in the game. I have no interest at all in being forced to play with players I don't want to meet. You can choose to raid or do dungeons with random people or you can play with random strangers. Garrisons aren't really any different in that respect. Why should I have to put up with random player interaction just because you think it's a good idea? If I want to invite people to my garrison, I'll do so. Just like raiding with people I like or doing dungeons with people I like. What the problem with that?
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

how does living in a house promote you to spend time with other people?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    how does living in a house promote you to spend time with other people?
    Why does it need to?

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I'm perfectly content to choose who I interact with in the game. I have no interest at all in being forced to play with players I don't want to meet. You can choose to raid or do dungeons with random people or you can play with random strangers. Garrisons aren't really any different in that respect. Why should I have to put up with random player interaction just because you think it's a good idea? If I want to invite people to my garrison, I'll do so. Just like raiding with people I like or doing dungeons with people I like. What the problem with that?
    Apparently we're all supposed to run around, holding hands and singing kumbaya because we're not allowed to pick and choose how we spend our time and interactions in an MMO we're paying monthly for.

Who knew!?
    Butts.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreaz View Post
    Why does it need to?
    thats the joke
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552