Page 1 of 37
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Wow sub numbers now below Burning Crusade

I seen this

Turns out the numbers are right. We now have the same amount of players as Classic

Deleted
    guess what, in 5 year time, it will be even less, yeah I know Mindblow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    guess what, in 5 year time, it will be even less, yeah I know Mindblow

yea. Hopefully they we can see growth again

Pretty damn solid for a decade-old game, I'd say.

Lol, that sig. I guess this is one of those threads where if you have any opinion that isn't "WOW IS DYING LOL YOU'RE A NERD IF YOU PLAY IT NOW NERD BUY GHOSTS" then you're vilified as a "fanboy". Legitimate discussion is dead, long live the trolls

Quote Originally Posted by But I Hate You All View Post
    Turns out the numbers are right. We now have the same amount of players as Classic
    And I can bet you that a majority of those players started in Wrath or later. If they can bring back the players that left already I bet you we'd see numbers skyrocket. What would make this graph more interesting is if we could see the number of active players AND their starting dates.

Still beats any other MMO going around. Numbers have peaked. They will likely only get lower from here.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

At this very moment, the most popular MMO in the West makes about 10% of the revenue WoW does. Even though it is 10 years old, it completely dominates the industry. It is old and cannot continue to rise forever, everything will and must fall.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, I am actually having more fun playing Hearthstone and can't be bothered to even log in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    What would make this graph more interesting is if we could see the number of active players AND their starting dates.
    Agreed but we do not have access to that information.

Quote Originally Posted by But I Hate You All View Post
    yea. Hopefully they we can see growth again
    It's unlikely...the game reached its saturation point a while back, there are not enough new players joining and the older one will eventually quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Are you an investor or something? Cause if you're just a player you should stop giving a shit.

I think as a player I should give a shit since development, content, game design and game experience are all effected by the amount of subs.

Deleted
    Pointless post is pointless.

Question to OP. Do you play WoW?

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    If they can bring back the players that left already I bet you we'd see numbers skyrocket.
    If they managed that then the graph would be over 24 million, they did say back when they had 12 mil that there had bee more accounts dropped than there were current players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senjinone View Post

Yes played since BC

looks like the natural state of progression for a product.

Deleted
    So whats your point here?
    An old game loses players? So? Explain?

Deleted
    Oh look, another one of those posters. I've been a long term player since it's early days, I have been very fortunate in life to be able to continue playing consistently --- however the players from Vanilla & BC have most likely grown older as myself and have found other passions and priorities they need to focus on. You will never, ever get those players back.

What we have now, is what it is. It's a product of its own development, they've attempted to broaden their horizon and attract new players but I can safely say that was a very negative move -- the type of players I come in contact with now are toxic, vicious and emotionally cannibalistic towards other players. Nothing can kill WoW other than itself. The graphs mean jack, there will always be an influx in players and then a decrease over time because humans do NOT like change.

Viva la classic players.

Oh boy. Let's hop on board the fear train.

TL;DR: Old game is old. 7 million subscribers ain't bad for it. It's honestly the only answer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Senjinone View Post
    Pointless post is pointless.

Nice to see you doing commentary on your own post.

To the OP: numbers will fall a lot more in the next few months. I think they have decided to allow this all to happen now and will try to get a massive amount back with the next expansion which will deliver to the fans. Everything in WOW development is planned months and months before. They probably expected numbers a little higher but as others have said it's still not a disaster, they would have a number in mind which would indicate the game is really in freefall and I don't think we have seen that yet.