Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Octa View Post
    Guess you also for the decade he was a LEAD GAME DESIGJNER before he was hired on at Blizzard? 10 years as a lead game designer before he ever touched World of Warcraft.
    For RTS games though...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post
    For RTS games though...
    News flash, Warcraft was an RTS before WoW, why so many forget this is beyond me. Meaning my slow friend, that WoW's creators were RTS people. NEXT!
    Aku, Soku, Zan

Quote Originally Posted by LegendsnDreamz View Post
    News flash, Warcraft was an RTS before WoW, why so many forget this is beyond me. Meaning my slow friend, that WoW's creators were RTS people. NEXT!
    Uh huh? Most of the creators were individuals who knew how to run the game. Regardless, it doesn't matter who was originally on the team. They didn't know WoW would be a huge thing. At the point when Ghostcrawler was hired, they KNEW what they had. So it doesn't make sense for them to hire someone that wasn't more seasoned in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastic_Dreamer View Post
    Uh huh? Most of the creators were individuals who knew how to run the game. Regardless, it doesn't matter who was originally on the team. They didn't know WoW would be a huge thing. At the point when Ghostcrawler was hired, they KNEW what they had. So it doesn't make sense for them to hire someone that wasn't more seasoned in the field.
    Well Mr. armchair game designer, you surely know it all, why aren't you applying for GC's vacant job? According to you, you are exactly what they are looking for.
    Aku, Soku, Zan

Considering its still the most popular MMO it seems they made an ok choice to me. A "more seasoned" MMO designer means they are basically coming from a game that died or is dying, wheres the sense in that?

Well Mr. armchair game designer, you surely know it all, why aren't you applying for GC's vacant job? According to you, you are exactly what they are looking for.
    I would love to have his job. Because as someone who has been playing MMORPGs for the better part of the last fifteen years, I think I know enough to help make the game fun and innovative again. Unfortunately, since I'm not a marine biologist, I doubt they'd hire me or take my application seriously. =/

I would love to have his job. Because as someone who has been playing MMORPGs for the better part of the last fifteen years, I think I know enough to help make the game fun and innovative again. Unfortunately, since I'm not a marine biologist, I doubt they'd hire me or take my application seriously. =/
    playing huh...so you have no actual experience in game design. What color is the sky in your world?
    Aku, Soku, Zan

playing huh...so you have no actual experience in game design. What color is the sky in your world?
    dont need it ask Tigole and Furor both Lead designers on Vanilla WoW and they were just guild leaders on EQ with zero game making experience

Well I have a degree in Liberal Arts. I'm sure I can get a job at a normal game company and earn some of that experience you speak of. After all, Ghostcrawler did. =)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    dont need it ask Tigole and Furor both Lead designers on Vanilla WoW and they were just guild leaders on EQ with zero game making experience
    Thank you for making my point. =)

Actual game playing experience > Marine Biology experience.

Though I will admit, at least the aquatic places were designed better since he came along. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post
    About pure's being unimportant. If you look at the amount of rogues, locks, mages and hunters in the raid, they are pretty much the majority.

If anything the hybrids probably suffered the most from it, as they are only picked when their utility is needed.
    Usually you want 1 mage for crit and 1 hunter for shaste. And that's it. Rest 23 spots you always want to fill with hybrids because they generally have better utility, you can rotate your tanks and healers. You can get more or less healers depending on encounter mechanics.
    Rogues are practically useless in PvE compared to other melee classes. We stopped inviting rogues into the raid group since WoTLK and only benefited from it. Also it's more beneficial to gear up a hybrid because if it already has a pretty high iLvL in one of his specs it will be easier for him to get gear for a secondary spec if it will be needed.

Not to mention that even outside of raids pure DPS are much less flexible classes because you can't suddenly decide to play some different role. Or how hybrids abuse LFG getting into raid as tank while in DPS spec and they trying to tank driving healer insane. Plus hybrid healers can do damage and heal themselves at the same time, especially monks.

Hybrids are in favor since WoTLK because they're the ones who has the most benefits in WoW.

I generally don't like SWTOR but in regard class design they're actually managed to do the right thing. All classes are hybrids. You're not restricted to one role.
    Last edited by Nelrum; 2013-11-29 at 08:27 AM.

In reality you'd get as much flak as Ghostcrawler got and people will cry for Ghostcrawler to come back.

Deleted
    It's a tough job and he did it to the best of his abilities, regardless of the opinions of it that was enough, or not, it's all you can ask of any one person.

Good luck in your new adventures GC, you will be remembered in many different ways I am sure....don't look back, press on!!

Quote Originally Posted by malletin View Post
    In reality you'd get as much flak as Ghostcrawler got and people will cry for Ghostcrawler to come back.
    This. That guy thinks that if he takes on the job of Ghostcrawler everybody is gonna suddenly start appreciating him. No, he will just be blamed as much as Ghostcrawler was. There will be always someone who will blame you no matter how hard you work.

I would love to have his job. Because as someone who has been playing MMORPGs for the better part of the last fifteen years, I think I know enough to help make the game fun and innovative again.
    Actually, a more appropriate and accurate statement would be that you know what would make the game fun and innovative for you. That might not be the case for others. In making the statement in the way that you did, it alone reflects that you would not be a good fit for the position.

Regarding Ghostcrawler's background: an individual with an understanding of systems, hierarchy, management, classification, organization, behavior etc, is a much better fit for GC's former job than someone who says "I know how to have fun."

Also, I eat a lot of cookies. That doesn't make me the best baker ever. That reasoning is incredibly flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagoex View Post
    Actually, a more appropriate and accurate statement would be that you know what would make the game fun and innovative for you. That might not be the case for others. In making the statement in the way that you did, it alone reflects that you would not be a good fit for the position.

Regarding Ghostcrawler's background: an individual with an understanding of systems, hierarchy, management, classification, organization, behavior etc, is a much better fit for GC's former job than someone who says "I know how to have fun."

Also, I eat a lot of cookies. That doesn't make me the best baker ever. That reasoning is incredibly flawed.
    You do understand the principal behind cooking? The first rule of being a good cook is to always taste your food. Literally one of the first rules they teach you as a chef, which is something that Chef Ramsay constantly says. While taste is a subjective thing, generally if something tastes decent to you, it won't taste awful to most people. Now with that logic, if you eat a lot of cookies...I'm sure you can tell a good cookie from a bad one. Now just because you don't like, say, oatmeal raisin doesn't mean that all oatmeal raisin cookies are disgusting. And that's important to understand. Which I totally do.

Nothing I said implied that I thought I was "the best chef in the world" or rather, the best player in the world.

I'm saying that as someone with experience actually playing video games, I think I know enough to start the ball rolling and add new fun elements to the game. Experience is everything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Someone doesn't understand what "lead" means.
    Seems like they understood it perfectly. Being a leader means being the one who supports the team and pushes them to get the most out of them, whether its through mentoring, empowering, helping to fix problems or just generally keeping up morale. A leader is always one in a team and never, ever above any other member of that team or the team as a whole.

'Director' on the other hand is a completely different story; that's the guy with the vision who tends to make final decisions, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that the directorship for WoW is changing.

You do understand the principal behind cooking? The first rule of being a good cook is to always taste your food. Literally one of the first rules they teach you as a chef, which is something that Chef Ramsay constantly says. While taste is a subjective thing, generally if something tastes decent to you, it won't taste awful to most people. Now with that logic, if you eat a lot of cookies...I'm sure you can tell a good cookie from a bad one. Now just because you don't like, say, oatmeal raisin doesn't mean that all oatmeal raisin cookies are disgusting. And that's important to understand. Which I totally do.

Nothing I said implied that I thought I was "the best chef in the world" or rather, the best player in the world.

I'm saying that as someone with experience actually playing video games, I think I know enough to start the ball rolling and add new fun elements to the game. Experience is everything.
    That's the thing. Experience isn't everything. Reinforcement principles (objective) play a much larger role in directing behavior than how "enjoyable" an experience is to any one person (subjective). That is a pretty important, and basic, item to understand.

I hope and pray for the say boub publishes his farewell. He destroyed this once glorious website, and I can't wait for him to be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    No, that is software industry-speak for "I get a nice severance package if I pretend everything is fine" He was fired.
    I find it more believable that he was fired and all the niceties are simply a cover up.