Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

FPS drops on disease spreading on large packs

Hello there MMO! So I have this problem that when I spread diseases to A LOT of targets ( Monkey room in brewery/room before lillian in scholo) my fps drops down to around 2-6 FPS.
    I've had this problem for quite some time, is this something you people suffer from as well? Have you had it, did you fix it? In that case HOW?

Doing a lot of CMs, so the drops have caused a wipe or two ;(

Unholy blight drops fps on every tick it does, so does pestilence when used so rolling blood is a nono

Thanks!

lower settings, if they are already at its lowest buy a new pc :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Turning off nameplates can do minor diffrance in it (default V )

10+ Year Old Account
    Tried lower setting, still got small spikes, will try the name plate thing

My comp isn't that bad so that's not the problem talked to another DK who does a lot of CMs and he got the same problem

What are your pc specs? What is your normal fps? It is either your computer or since it only happens at certain times its probably an addon

I doubt the fact you are doing CM's has anything to do with it. So you should probably dismiss that.
    What's more the problem is, on top of you doing your aoe, applying dots to multiple targets, and then soon after spamming aoe, well there are also others doing the same, a healer healing, and the mobs also doing damage. FPS almost always dips even slightly for most people, the higher your FPS the less you notice it unless you got from say, 60 fps to 15. It's an unavoidable fact almost, you will almost always get these dips. I myself get them during heavy aoe times, from the sounds of it it's not as bad as yours, but even then I adjust my settings specifically to account for this, I set it up so I have good frame rate on aoe situations. I aim for ~25 fps at the lowest for even the heaviest of aoe, and then my single target and just mulling about fps is much higher then that because of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is that I'm on 60-100 FPS all the time, but when the big packs comes 60+ and diseases spreading on that, the thing is that my mates doesn't lag from my lag spikes i get when I spread it, and i don't lag from their spells either since ive gone in to heroic and done the same pull to test.

Just went from a HD Radeon 6800 to a GTX 760 but still got the spikes I can raid 25man and a lot and aoe on my alts but when I'm on my DK and blood boil spam with rolling blood it all goes to shit

Quote Originally Posted by ssjgohan4life View Post
    What are your pc specs? What is your normal fps? It is either your computer or since it only happens at certain times its probably an addon
    Running wow on SSD, GTX 760 card, 8gb ram Asrock p55 Extreme motherboard something is the problem but i dont think the specs on my pc is it
    Last edited by Kassina; 2013-11-30 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Josefina View Post
    The thing is that I'm on 60-100 FPS all the time, but when the big packs comes 60+ and diseases spreading on that, the thing is that my mates doesn't lag from my lag spikes i get when I spread it, and i don't lag from their spells either since ive gone in to heroic and done the same pull to test.

Just went from a HD Radeon 6800 to a GTX 760 but still got the spikes I can raid 25man and a lot and aoe on my alts but when I'm on my DK and blood boil spam with rolling blood it all goes to shit

Running wow on SSD, GTX 760 card, 8gb ram Asrock p55 Extreme motherboard something is the problem but i dont think the specs on my pc is it
    It is most likely an addon, whenever blizzard decides it doesn't like a addon with a patch it breaks the code so you'll lag out as long as you have it enabled. The last time this happened to me was the last patch where they broke POwerAuras, I was fine in general but once I was dpsing on my dk just as you were describing I'd slow down to a crawl, removed the addon and it was fine. Any new addons? If not disable any addons you don't really use one at a time to see if anything makes a difference. If it is not addon its your system faulting under the stress.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjgohan4life View Post
    It is most likely an addon, whenever blizzard decides it doesn't like a addon with a patch it breaks the code so you'll lag out as long as you have it enabled. The last time this happened to me was the last patch where they broke POwerAuras, I was fine in general but once I was dpsing on my dk just as you were describing I'd slow down to a crawl, removed the addon and it was fine. Any new addons? If not disable any addons you don't really use one at a time to see if anything makes a difference. If it is not addon its your system faulting under the stress.
    Disabeled all addons, tried it again not a single spike, so now to find out what addon it is ;/

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josefina View Post
    Disabeled all addons, tried it again not a single spike, so now to find out what addon it is ;/
    Time to turn them on 1 by 1. I don't envy you if you are anything like myself with addons.

Yep thats the fun part, start with the essential ones and work from there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah this isn't fun xP got a few of them!

Update: The problem seems to be something in elv ui, and its not the name plates, anyone got a suggestion?
    Last edited by Kassina; 2013-11-30 at 01:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use ElvUI and I don't have this issue on a GeForce 480 GTX. However I also have damage numbers off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I use ElvUI and I don't have this issue on a GeForce 480 GTX. However I also have damage numbers off.
    Tried turning off msbt and thats not that either, turned off elv ui again, and all the FPS drops went away ;(

In wow severe framedrops are almost exclusively cpu related.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zox2 View Post
    In wow severe framedrops are almost exclusively cpu related.
    Well in my case it seems like it has something to do with something in elv ui, since when that is disabled it runs really smooth

It's still CPU related *g*

Most likely it's either a buff-tracking or combat log addon that tries to do its work.

I know it may sound off, but try the standard Blizzard approach of clearing cache and renaming interface and WTF.

It's possible that there's something wrong with old data that interferes with new data.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyanmaru View Post
    It's still CPU related *g*

Most likely it's either a buff-tracking or combat log addon that tries to do its work.

I know it may sound off, but try the standard Blizzard approach of clearing cache and renaming interface and WTF.

It's possible that there's something wrong with old data that interferes with new data.
    Yeah its still cpu related but still its an addon causing it.

I tried what you said renaming wtf and interface and clearing cache, my fps didn't drop at all, it was just like disabling ElvUI ;/

10+ Year Old Account
    Well what CPU do you have?

Deleted
    I had this exact problem for a long time. I refused to believe that one of my few remaining addons caused it (none if them seemed to be related to graphics in any way). Turning off all addons without removing all changed settings did *not* fix this.

I asked for help in my guild, my friends, on the tech forums, and they'd always give me the "it's your CPU" response. I run a 3930k@3.8ghz, and while this always sounded dubious to me! I just accepted that the wow engine seemed to be just THAT horrible.

Then my hard disk crashed, and I was FORCED to reinstall wow and all addons from scratch. I couldn't be arsed to recreate my original UI, so I installed elvui, and - gone. Went from 15 fps in aoe situations to 45-60. Massive difference.

So basically, addons WERE To blame in my case, or rather, settings ostensibly changed by them, that's why just disabling them didn't cut it.

I'd delete wtf, wdb, interface, cache, start the game, log in some char, close the game and install a fresh elvui. It doesn't take that long to set it up.

// edit: there's another thing with wow's engine that can cause massive fps drops. If you move some UI pieces outside of your monitor area, even partially (or some addon accidentally does it) your fps will go to hell. Happens a lot with moveanything.
    Last edited by mmoc48cc6e9b6a; 2013-11-30 at 03:37 PM.