UIErrorsFrame mayhem

Greetings!

Part of my addon flashes a frame whenever the UIErrorsFrame gets a specific message (dont hate on the UIFrameFlash please ) but its giving me some really odd behaviour.

When spamming an ability, it will flash the frame 3-4 times and then just stop for like 10-15 seconds, and then flash another 3 times then stop again. I had assumed this is because the messages in the error frame are being "refreshed" and so the UI_ERROR_MESSAGE event doesnt trigger. But wait, theres more...

If i were to add a print function just after, the frame will flash a bit more often like it should do with no 10-15 second gap inbetween but will skip a few key presses when spammed.

I have tried to clear the error frame with UIErrorsFrame:Clear() after my code runs but it only makes it worse.

Any ideas what Im doing wrong?

code:

Code:
    -- non relivant code above

elseif event == "UI_ERROR_MESSAGE" then

local message = ...;

if message == "You have no target." or message == "Invalid target" then

local iconframe = CreateFrame("Frame", nil, UIParent)                
                    iconframe:SetPoint("CENTER", xoff, yoff)
                    iconframe:SetSize(iconsize, iconsize)
                    iconframe:SetBackdrop({
                            bgFile = "Interface\\TargetingFrame\\UI-RaidTargetingIcon_7"
                    })
                    iconframe:SetFrameStrata("BACKGROUND")
    				UIFrameFlash(iconframe, 0, fdur, 1, false, 0, 0)
                end

-- non relevant code below

Deleted
    You create a new frame every time? I'm pretty sure you were intending to create the frame once, then UIFrameFlash it whenever UI_ERROR_MESSAGE fires?

If I dont recreate a new frame everytime, all the numbers begin to overlap eachother and the frame will run its full flash before showing again if the ability is spammed which doesnt look right.

Plus, even if I do create the frame outside the function, i still have the same issue with the error frame

Deleted
    Are you sure that UI_ERROR_MESSAGE doesn't fire on every error message? Add a print() or similar to the event handler - it seems unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    Are you sure that UI_ERROR_MESSAGE doesn't fire on every error message? Add a print() or similar to the event handler - it seems unlikely.
    he said he added a print() and that altered the behavior of the frame (????)

Yea I had already tried adding a print(), it fired on 80% of the messages compared to not having the print(). But its really inconsistant