Thread: NCAA football

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    And the good games today get started at 4. SEC championship should be interesting, I think Auburn has enough momentum to knock off Missou but I'd like to see Missou win the SEC championship after all the shittalking I've heard from the SEC about how they're so much better than other conferences. It's been fun watching you try to dominate the two middle of the pack Big 12 teams you let in and failing.

Go Bucks! Have to say I'm worried about this game though. All SEC rhetoric aside, MSU is a very good team and they're going to bring it.
    Didn't the bucks get placed in the trash where they belong during their last 2 national championship game appearances? yeah thats right they did, play a team above #16 during the regular season and beat them by more than 7 points then talk shit, Michigan sucked cock this year and put up 41? points on your "amazing" team

Ted Ginn Jr. getting railed out of the game clearly was the nail

Quote Originally Posted by tylenol View Post
    Didn't the bucks get placed in the trash where they belong during their last 2 national championship game appearances? yeah thats right they did, play a team above #16 during the regular season and beat them by more than 7 points then talk shit, Michigan sucked cock this year and put up 41? points on your "amazing" team

Ted Ginn Jr. getting railed out of the game clearly was the nail
    Sorry bro, I can't hear you over the sound of your conference not playing in the big game this year. Enjoy the GMAC bowl though, I hear the weather in Detroit is wonderful this time of year.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the good games today get started at 4. SEC championship should be interesting, I think Auburn has enough momentum to knock off Missou but I'd like to see Missou win the SEC championship after all the shittalking I've heard from the SEC about how they're so much better than other conferences. It's been fun watching you try to dominate the two middle of the pack Big 12 teams you let in and failing.
    Mizzou went 48-19 (27-14 in conference) in the 6 seasons prior to joining the SEC. They won their division in 2007, 2008 and 2010. Hardly middle of the pack. They also bombed their first season in the SEC.

Texas A&M just so happened to pick up the Heisman trophy winner for their entrance to the SEC.

We will see what happens today.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Texas A&M just so happened to pick up the Heisman trophy winner for their entrance to the SEC.
    Sure, but he was replacing a first round pick. I think the main takeaway is that competitive balance deep in conferences between the Big XII and SEC was a lot closer than most people thought. I don't know if that's true or not. Pro drafts suggest that it's not.

- - - Updated - - -

I tend to think that the winner of this game should go to the title game. Ohio State's schedule is insanely soft and that Michigan win was super sketchy. I think they should basically be treated like Boise State of year's past.

Interesting call on the onside kick there.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Interesting call on the onside kick there.
    I have to ask about onside kicks. It's live after 10 yards, but when does it become "unlive"? Because if it's kicked down field, then it's not live unless it's touch by the other team. Someone help me out here.

Anyone else noticing that CBS seems to have a problem with showing the score, time left, down, yards - any information about the game.
    Last edited by cubby; 2013-12-07 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I have to ask about onside kicks. It's live after 10 yards, but when does it become "unlive"? Because if it's kicked down field, then it's not live unless it's touch by the other team. Someone help me out here.

Anyone else noticing that CBS seems to have a problem with showing the score, time left, down, yards - any information about the game.
    Not 100% sure, but that's an interesting question. To my knowledge an onside kick doesn't require a special formation, so that couldn't be it.

Missou is in for a world of hurt here if they can't figure out how to defend the run in the second half. Auburn's rushing attack is looking really strong today.

The way I've always understood the rules. The kicking team can not block/hit anyone till the ball has traveled 10 yards. I believe the receiving team can come up and attempt to catch the ball before it has traveled the 10 yards (just dangerous to do so). The kicking team can never recover or have a chance at the ball till the receiving team has touched the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by gismo7354 View Post
    The way I've always understood the rules. The kicking team can not block/hit anyone till the ball has traveled 10 yards. I believe the receiving team can come up and attempt to catch the ball before it has traveled the 10 yards (just dangerous to do so). The kicking team can never recover or have a chance at the ball till the receiving team has touched the ball.
    That's not entirely correct, because on an onside the receiving team isn't required to touch the ball before the kicking team takes possession, as long as the ball has traveled 10 yards. Again, not sure how it all works though.

EDIT: Missou gave almost 500 yards on the ground after 3 quarters? Yikes.
    Last edited by Xargoth6634; 2013-12-08 at 12:27 AM.

Sorry bro, I can't hear you over the sound of your conference not playing in the big game this year. Enjoy the GMAC bowl though, I hear the weather in Detroit is wonderful this time of year.
    Not really my conference but it'll be a sad day if ohio state, regardless if they win or lose vs their mediocre opponent tonight get in over a team (Auburn) that had to play the following teams:
    #6 LSU (their only loss)
    #24 Ole Miss
    #7 Texas A&M
    #25 Georgia
    #1 Alabama
    #5 Missouri (assuming missouri doesn't score 17 points in 3minutes 40 seconds)

And ohio state:
    #23 Wisconsin, won by 7
    #16 Northwestern, won by 10
    and........that's it

Yeah, the BCS is an amazing system, 4 team playoff isn't any better either

Ohio State's not going to win if they keep killing themselves with penalties like that. I'm not sure what the hell Shazier thought he was doing.

EDIT: Impressive list of mostly 3-4 loss teams you've got there, Tylenol, mostly propped up by undeserved preseason ratings. I'll see you in a year on this board, we'll see how much shit you're talking then about other conferences.
    Last edited by Xargoth6634; 2013-12-08 at 01:40 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    That's not entirely correct, because on an onside the receiving team isn't required to touch the ball before the kicking team takes possession, as long as the ball has traveled 10 yards. Again, not sure how it all works though.
    But where does the ball go from "live" to "must touch before live" during a kick/onside kick?

But where does the ball go from "live" to "must touch before live" during a kick/onside kick?
    Yeah, I understand the question, I just don't have the answer, sorry. Hopefully some one else can fill us in.

Ohio State's very lucky to only be down 7 at the end of the first half. They've played very poorly.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Duke is sure looking like the champions everyone knew they would be.

/sarcasm

So far all I can find on the deliniation between an onside kick and a kickoff, with regards to when the ball is "live".
    Last edited by cubby; 2013-12-08 at 03:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't fully understand your question, but I'm pretty sure that when the ball goes 10 yards, it's live, no matter what. Meaning, the kicking team could kick a really high squib and get the ball same as an onside kick. Or, they could just kick it deep, and for some reason, if the receiving team doesn't get the ball, the kicking team can recover it, period.

I missed all the games other than OK/OK St. Yeah, about Ohio State. Still don't look impressive enough. Yes, they went undefeated (if they win tonight), and I have no problem with them being in the BCS title game. But it would appear to me that Auburn is the better team. It sucks that we don't have a playoff system this year, but thems the breaks. Auburn is better than OSU, and you won't convince me otherwise. If OSU wins tonight, they're gonna get destroyed by FSU.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-12-08 at 04:03 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I don't fully understand your question, but I'm pretty sure that when the ball goes 10 yards, it's live, no matter what. Meaning, the kicking team could kick a really high squib and get the ball same as an onside kick. Or, they could just kick it deep, and for some reason, if the receiving team doesn't get the ball, the kicking team can recover it, period.
    Ah, ok - I think I'm getting it now. The ball is "live" after 10 yards (with the exception of the receiving team touching it before the ball has traveled 10 yards) regardless of the type of kick (long/short).

I believe my confusion was picturing what happens on a punt and the kicking team "downs" it. Of course, the answer is that one is a kickoff and the other is a punt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, ok - I think I'm getting it now. The ball is "live" after 10 yards (with the exception of the receiving team touching it before the ball has traveled 10 yards) regardless of the type of kick (long/short).

I believe my confusion was picturing what happens on a punt and the kicking team "downs" it. Of course, the answer is that one is a kickoff and the other is a punt.
    I think the difference is that during a punt, the kicking team still has possession until the ball goes off the foot. On a kickoff, technically the receiving team is in possession the whole time. Or something like that.

Spartys go up with 11 minutes left. This could still be an upset.

- - - Updated - - -

And that's game. MSU scores with three minutes left. No way OSU's getting ten points.

Here we go. Who goes to the BCS title game against FSU now?

Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Dont lose.
    That's actually a challenge when you are playing teams that are actually...decent

What was that? I can't hear you over the sound of the tsunami of tears caused by crying OSU fans again...how did that brick wall taste when you smashed into it on 4th down?

Hahahahah

And its over, bahahah

FSU vs Auburn Inc
    Last edited by tylenol; 2013-12-08 at 04:58 AM.

Hahaha down go the buckeyes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Good Game, Sparty. Connor Cook played up to the stage, my Bucks did not (for enough of the game, anyways).

Why empty the backfield on 3rd and 3?