Poll: Do you frequently tab out the game/go afk during a flight path?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Do you watch/play your character whilst flying on a flight path?

I can remember taking a flight path for example from orgimmar to tanaris or sithilus, and it would take nearly 15 minutes.

My question is do you frequently watch your character for that time? Or you go afk or tab out of the game? Or do you sit there and watch it?

I understand how it is more immersive than using a portal, but I also understand why people consider it so irritating. I probably watched it the first few times, but after that I'd frequently afk and wait.

Just wondering if people actually watch it all the time. What your thoughts on this?

My most frequent flight path Ive taken is on mists of pandaria, I seem to have missed part of a zone and a flight path check point, despite being maximum level. I also havnt purchased The flying skill to fly in padaria partly because I havnt found the vendor and because I don't like pandari or this expansion and don't currently have a subscription.

If I go to the pvp gear vendor In padaria, I just hit a flight path and tab out of the game because it flys me the long way around the map for 10 minutes to go a flight path which is next door and I don't want to do more quests past end level just to unlock that flight path and getting there on foot is more complicated.

Also, if you do stay in game - what do you do? Social/chat? Im not really social in the game any more, my real life friends have stopped playing or are on different servers.

Do you tab out for everything, including short journies? Do you tab out and listen in the background whilst using a web browser? Post your opinions here.
    Last edited by mmoc0b5a110546; 2013-12-09 at 01:18 PM.

A bit of everything. Getting a drink, getting food, going to the toilet, watching the telly, switching to windows or just watch the scenery when flying over it (which is also pretty nice )

Deleted
    AFK unless talking in guild chat

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless there is someone to chat to, I always tab out and troll MMO-C.
    I actually prefer auto pilot gryphons over flying mounts for that reason.

It also makes me laugh at all those idiotic "Flying mounts ruin immersion!!11" comments.

Deleted
    Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't.

It felt good to take a wyvern/gryphon from a flight master and then rest your eyes for a few minutes and go do something else like grabbing a drink, or tab down from the game for a while to read something else on the webs.

Deleted
    Strange how most people don't actually watch it.

I've seen a few games where you just enter a portal (not like a mage portal, more like burning crusade portal) and arrive there almost instantly. Is that a better solution? They work exactly like flight paths, just that you have to unlock a portal instead of a flightpath by finding it first.

I take a flight path *specifically* when I want to tab out of the game for some time - to get a drink, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I always tab out and troll MMO-C.
    People who misuse the word troll ;_;

I just tab out or go get a drink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alt-tab.

In fact, when I need to fly or ride for a long distance; I open the map, aim for a straight line towards my destination and toggle auto-run/fly ---> alt-tab.

Playing in windowed mode, so when I get off-course, you can right click + adjust your direction without going back to your wow screen and keep browsing or whatever I'm doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I always tab out. I've seen the scenery a thousand times before and unless I'm talking to someone it's kinda pointless to stare at a windrider or gryphon.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerr View Post
    A bit of everything. Getting a drink, getting food, going to the toilet, watching the telly, switching to windows or just watch the scenery when flying over it (which is also pretty nice )
    This is pretty much what i do too.
    Going shopping sometimes too ;D

2 screens and windowed mode makes me not having to alt-tab.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Deleted
    I tab out or talk in w/g if in middle of something ingame.

I tab out and see whats going on in facebook, wowinsider, various news networks or I go to the bathroom.

And we get the happy happy joy joy of not having flight mounts for 2+ months in WoD, but don’t worry because they are going to give us lots of FLIGHTPOINTS!!! =) Any time that I alt tab out of the game the game is failing to entertain me. When a game is failing to entertain me it is failing as a game.

If I am not actively at my wow window then I am not immersed in the game and the entire argument about ‘flight mounts kill immersion’ goes right out the window.

They need to replace flight mounts with portals. I go to where the flight trainer was and I use the teleport to go to another place where a flight trainer was. This is better than the GW ‘teleport to here from anywhere’ system. Hell you can have both teleporters and flight points for those sadistic enough to actually enjoy flight paths.

Adding needless travel time does not = content, it just means I am some where else in my house doing something that is not wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm usually watching Netflix while playing WoW so I just watch that while I'm on a flight path.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always find it amusing when people say alt-tab. 1. I played windowed; 2. I play dual monitors.

I'm always off in browser or getting a drink, playing with the cats etc when on a FP

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I tab out and see whats going on in facebook, wowinsider, various news networks or I go to the bathroom.

And we get the happy happy joy joy of not having flight mounts for 2+ months in WoD, but don’t worry because they are going to give us lots of FLIGHTPOINTS!!! =) Any time that I alt tab out of the game the game is failing to entertain me. When a game is failing to entertain me it is failing as a game.

If I am not actively at my wow window then I am not immersed in the game and the entire argument about ‘flight mounts kill immersion’ goes right out the window.

They need to replace flight mounts with portals. I go to where the flight trainer was and I use the teleport to go to another place where a flight trainer was. This is better than the GW ‘teleport to here from anywhere’ system. Hell you can have both teleporters and flight points for those sadistic enough to actually enjoy flight paths.

Adding needless travel time does not = content, it just means I am some where else in my house doing something that is not wow.
    I hate quoting entire posts to clutter up the forums, but I agree with every statement here so much I'm not sure I could edit anything else. It mirrors my exact experience and opinion. While no flying mounts arbitrarily for one patch won't bother me in the long run, all their reasons are as flimsy as wet paper. I haven't been in game on a flight path since 2004.

If they somehow think I'm going to have fun being forced to run through mobs and having my time wasted by random dismounts, getting ganked, and generally not being able to accomplish anything I enjoy in the game then I have news for them.
    BAD WOLF

No way in hell 7 people so far sit at their computer staring at the screen every time they take a flight path.
    Last edited by Super Friendly Kitty Cat; 2013-12-12 at 03:15 PM.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    There was a massive cheer when Blizz allowed you to sort your bags and actually do things on a flight path. I don't remember which patch it was, but it was in vanilla. Heh.

If I'm not talking to someone I'll alt tab.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't use flight paths that much...when i do i just tab and go to mmochampion or something :P