Frost Mage AoE Help

I just leveled a mage as I want to main swap to one for WoD from a lock. I have read some of the guides but can't find an AoE priority/rotation for when adds spawn. In specific I am thinking times like H sha and other groups of adds that are relatively short lived. I understand Frost orb is great AoE as is Frost bomb and so the start of my AoE would prob be frozen orb and then frost bomb but then I get confused what to do after that. With the glyph of ice lance is it just use ice lances to cleave after that or how does it work? Sorry for the simple question but I appreciate the help.

10+ Year Old Account
    i prefere:
    <4: Living Bomb, Flamestrike, Freeze (Elemental), Frozen Orb
    >4: Living Bomb, Flamestrike, Arcane Explosion

For a group of short lived adds like sha, Pet Freeze+ glyphed Cone of Cold, Ice lance (glyphed), Frozen orb, IL spam from procs - they should be dead, and you can go back to the boss. You don't "need" frost bomb, but you can use it as well if you like (time your freeze to land just before the first bomb detonates)

Is there a spammable macro for the pet freeze + glyph cone of cold as I remember something about the freeze breaks like almost instantly? Thought I had read one somewhere.

Well since you have to click the freeze there isn't really a great way to do it (at least none I've found), aside from just being quick between when you click freeze and when you hit cone of cold.

Also, unless you're playing it right now, I wouldn't worry too much about exact rotation as it's likely to change before WoD. At the very least, the Falling Stars talent is going to provide an additional AoE option.
    Last edited by Xorn; 2013-12-10 at 04:25 PM.

Alright, thanks for all the help folks its much appreciated.

Freeze does break very quickly, but its off the GCD, which makes it easier to prep and drop, and then fire off CoC - takes a little practice but you get used to it

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes I'm lazy and just spam AE. I admit it.

Frozen orb always, of course. Ice lance cleave, blizzard in between. Glyphed CoC.

No need to flamestrike anymore but you can if you want. I don't like using any of our abilities except frozen orb for AoE because I just remind myself that arcane hits harder with them all, even the frost spells, and that hurts my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post

Frozen orb always, of course. Ice lance cleave, blizzard in between. Glyphed CoC.

No need to flamestrike anymore but you can if you want. I don't like using any of our abilities except frozen orb for AoE because I just remind myself that arcane hits harder with them all, even the frost spells, and that hurts my brain.
    Hurray for mastery...

Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post

Should hear our Destro lock complain about nether tempest doing 50%+ of my damage. It hurts my brain...Chaos Bolt...Brimstone...

Quote Originally Posted by Vedel View Post
    Should hear our Destro lock complain about nether tempest doing 50%+ of my damage. It hurts my brain...Chaos Bolt...Brimstone...
    Nether Tempest is an instant cast dot with an insignificant mana cost. Chaos Bolt is a 3 second single target cast with a hefty resource cost. FnB also has a significant resource cost (that becomes completely wasted as # of targets decreases) attached to it as well as a cast time for 2/3 spells. I fail to see your point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xorn View Post
    Nether Tempest is an instant cast dot with an insignificant mana cost. Chaos Bolt is a 3 second single target cast with a hefty resource cost. FnB also has a significant resource cost (that becomes completely wasted as # of targets decreases) attached to it as well as a cast time for 2/3 spells. I fail to see your point.
    And CB still manages to get 30% of your total dmg on single target, amazing, must be so hard to use it often with that long cast time and hefty resource cost /sarcasmoff
    Last edited by mmoc23abb006d1; 2013-12-11 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jitzu View Post
    And CB still manages to get 30% of your total dmg on single target, amazing, must be so hard to use it often with that long cast time and hefty resource cost /sarcasmoff
    I realize this is the mage forums but you do realize that you are seriously complaining that a resource system based class does a significant portion of its damage with its resource spender. That is sort of the entire point of the resource generator/spender system. (note - granted destro is OP atm so it may need to be toned down in but the issue is more with fnb dmg %/havoc/SB sniping and free resources from dying adds).

Chaos Bolt + Rain of Fire:
    The reason I brought this up was that compared to Nether Tempest, Destro AE can increase their single target boss dps. If I decide to apply Nether Tempest on more that 6+ mobs all I do is refresh NT on those targets, I might get a few Arcane missiles in but outside of that I spend more time applying dots.

FnB:
    More about the ease of use. When a large pack of mobs comes out, I have two options NT every single one or use Arcane Explosion, half of the time I will die if I try to Arcane Explosion. If I decide to use NT all I can do is apply Nether Tempest thus it should be high on my percentage of damage done. Where as FnB is drop Rain of Fire and use FnB to hit all targets with immolate.

TL;DR When I Nether Tempest I spend a great amount of time applying NT thus it should be a high percentage of my damage. If it isn't then multi-dotting would be pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    The last thing I ever want to read in a mage thread is crap about warlocks.

They are a disgrace to the purity of magic. Go back to your forums and leave our Nether Tempest alone!

Well since you have to click the freeze there isn't really a great way to do it (at least none I've found), aside from just being quick between when you click freeze and when you hit cone of cold.

Also, unless you're playing it right now, I wouldn't worry too much about exact rotation as it's likely to change before WoD. At the very least, the Falling Stars talent is going to provide an additional AoE option.
    Just since I didn't see anyone mention it, you can make a very simple macro for your water elemental's freeze so that you are able to keybind it, making it easier to time shatters with frost bomb and such.

#showtooltip
    /cast Freeze