Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Does WoW really need a goldsink?

What's your opinion - Do we really need overly expensive goldsinks? Is it necessary ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. It helps...tries to help...keep the economy from spinning out of control. Inflation (and deflation) exist even in virtual economies.

Yes, and BMAH is a damn good way for it......................... Getting poor

Lowering the gold cap does the same thing so no, its not necessary. They add items at 150k+ (more if you're talking BMAH) for the 1% because they allow the gold cap to be so high.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. It's basic economics. You either have a limited supply of money, or you need a means of removing money from the economy. Otherwise you get massive inflation.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    It helps keep gold inflation down. Personally I think all those mounts and pets in the Blizzard store should have just been in game for an exorbitant amount of gold instead.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    We already have inflation - people sitting on 150k and selling materials at extortion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    We already have inflation - people sitting on 150k and selling materials at extortion
    150k is not that much, especially this late in the expansion. Just look at the cost of the big mounts from vendors. Without such gold sinks there would simply be nothing to spend gold on other then player made items and materials. Prices would be massively higher then they are.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    150k isn't that much. i have never had that much, and even i know it isn't that much...

and extortion mats? lol thats not to do with goldsinks. that's due to supply and demand, well, mainly supply. if nobody else is selling what you are, then you can charge what you want. if people don't like it, then they don't have to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotcha View Post
    Lowering the gold cap does the same thing so no, its not necessary. They add items at 150k+ (more if you're talking BMAH) for the 1% because they allow the gold cap to be so high.
    Er... even before they raised the gold cap, a single player could still have about 2.1 million gold on a server (or more if they had some guild banks). Lowering the gold cap would only lower the maximum amount of gold a player could spend at one time, which would keep much more gold in the pockets of "the 1%" as you put it.

Hell no. Everything should be cheap. Whether in a game or real life. Cater to everyone's NEEDS....not their wants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GamerDude40 View Post
    Hell no. Everything should be cheap. Whether in a game or real life. Cater to everyone's NEEDS....not their wants.
    Without gold sinks, everything would be more expensive as gold started to accumulate. Which would be fine for established players, but a detriment to new ones.

-Kujako-

Yeah, gold sinks are fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me personally, gold sinks have usually been too high.
    But I understand that they are needed for people who for some reason hoard an absurd amount of gold.

I have yet to use any of the major gold sinks in MoP for example, same with a few from cata.

Have around 300k total perhaps, counting materials etc I've got lying around. But i'd rather save it

10+ Year Old Account
    Add a shit ton of gold sinks and some ways to make more gold. That way inflation isn't too high.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by suitepee7 View Post
    150k isn't that much. i have never had that much, and even i know it isn't that much...

and extortion mats? lol thats not to do with goldsinks. that's due to supply and demand, well, mainly supply. if nobody else is selling what you are, then you can charge what you want. if people don't like it, then they don't have to buy it.
    it's impossible for a new player to buy old mats due to rich alts

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes gold sinks are needed to help fight the inflation coming from gold spawning into the world when mobs die and people loot/vendor things instead of it just changing hands via the AH, it removes gold from the economy instead of it just changing hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Without gold sinks, everything would be more expensive as gold started to accumulate. Which would be fine for established players, but a detriment to new ones.
    No you would just forbid prices going up so people can get what they need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GamerDude40 View Post
    I sense sarcasm in this post, but just in case you weren't being sarcastic...

I change characters a lot so I never tend to have much gold wherever I've made my new toon, a lot of them don't even surpass 10k, but I don't think I've ever needed much gold for things I "need" in game. The only things I'd consider really needed anyways is gold for repairs, flasks, potions, food, gems, enchants and reforging.

Anything else is a "want", and if I want it but can't afford it, that's on me to go out and put the time in to learn how to and actually get enough gold for my wants.

I'm fine with the high gold cap, fine with the large gold sinks for players that have a lot of gold, and happy that most of those items are vanity type items such as mounts, pets and transmog items.

Deleted
    But if people are saying 150k isn't much doesn't that imply goldsinks aren't working