Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Anyone else feels bored by the new titles?

It may be just me, but I cannot help but feel that the new games are really lacking. Both single player and multiplayer games coming out recently somehow seem to be shallow and repetitive. Really, aside from Mass Effect, Dragon Age series and Starcraft 2, I cannot remember a single game that came out since 2006 or so and kept me interested for a long time and, most importantly, made me replay it.

All the single player games in this period I tried, I either gave up very soon, or, sometimes, finished the game and forgot it, not even thinking of replaying it. Not much better with multiplayer games: I played WoW (MoP), SWTOR, LoL, Hearthstone for a short time and couldn't stand these games after.
    So I switched back to old-school games. I keep replaying KotoR series, Age of Empires I/II, Doom/Doom2/Hexen/Heretic, Diablo II, HoMM III, and playing NWN at the moment.

Hard to say what exactly is lacking in the modern games. But, somehow, they do not feel like well-crafted games aimed for generations to play. They feel more like products aimed to get the customer to pay for them, to play once and forget, or, in case of MMOs, to keep people playing by introducing boring and repetitive raids and item tiers. I played BF3 campaign once and forgot almost everything about it. I didn't manage to even finish the tutorial in Might and Magic Heroes VI and uninstalled the game right away. I couldn't stand idiotic "kill 20 Sith" quests in SWTOR and quit it before finishing Trooper story. I played CoD:MW3 for a while and, somewhere in the middle of the campaign, just stopped playing and don't feel like continuing at all. I played EU3 and EU4 for some time, but, after 3-4 games, there is nothing new to do. I finished Deux Ex: Human Revolution campaign once and it was decent, but it didn't capture my soul for some reason, and the whole story was not really engaging. It was like a Hollywood blockbuster movie: you watch it with chips and cola and have some fun, but, 20 minutes out of the cinema - you forget what you just watched.

What is it that keeps people replaying Quake 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Age of Empires 2, Warcraft 3, Dune 2000 over and over? Maybe it's nostalgia, I don't know. But, still, there is something about these games that makes me play them 15 years after, even despite terrible graphics and primitive mechanics. For some reason, Diablo 2 is a game I want to replay once in a few months, at least, and Diablo 3 is a game I've finished on the first difficulty and have never touched ever since. For some reason, Doom 2 is a game I play from time to time just to throw some monsters around and to solve some puzzles, while BF3 is a boring war movie I've watched once and don't want to watch it again.

So, anyone else feels the same way? Anyone else keeps replaying old titles over and over and wondering why there are no new Doom 2 or HoMM 3 games that will be played even 15 years later?

Deleted
    Don't worry, this comes with age. It's the same with taste for movies, music, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    Don't worry, this comes with age. It's the same with taste for movies, music, etc.
    Surprisingly, I cannot say the same about movies or music. There is a lot of new music that is just as good as in the past, and some of the new movies really beat down old titles (for example, Sunset Limited was just jaw-dropping, in my opinion). It's what I feel about the games exclusively.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    Its not the age....its just that games put too much in grafic instead of a gameplay. And there are too console like.
    I hate console controls. I want my Half life UI back .
    Also bull**** like limited weapons you can hold (its a game ffs), linear gameplay where you cant explore that much, rushed games with so many bugs that you realy want to forget it. And stupid self regenetating hp......its like every game is copying halo. Medipacks made the game more interesting and harder. They made you use cower. Same goes for strategy games with limited resorces. Once you mine them its over.

Or we would say that programers just copy one game...make it worse when they could make it better. (or lock the stuff behind dlc) Then they realise it, people buy that c*** and then when they make enogh money, they made a new title 2. In this they add pretty much same crappy gameplay and add a new *ferature* that some old games have and they say its new.

Oh did i say every posible copy of sport/cars/everything else games.
    Here is a example of milking:
    The Need for Speed (1995)
    Need for Speed II (1997)
    Need for Speed: V-Rally (1997)
    Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit (1998)
    Need For Speed: V-Rally 2 (1999)
    Need for Speed: High Stakes (1999)
    Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed (2000)
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (2002)
    Need for Speed: Underground (2003)
    Need for Speed: Underground 2 (2004)
    Need for Speed: Underground Rivals (2005 PlayStation)
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
    Need for Speed: Carbon (2006)
    Need for Speed: ProStreet (2007)
    Need for Speed: Undercover (21. nov 2008)
    Need for Speed: Shift (15. sept 2009)
    Need for Speed: Nitro (2009)
    Need for Speed: World (2010)
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010)
    Need for Speed: Shift 2 - Unleashed (2011)
    Need for Speed: The Run (2012)
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012)
    Need for Speed: Rivals (2013)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

If you like stealth games, try Thief 1,2,3.

If you don't, still try Thief 1,2,3.

Deleted
    Games are no longer for us, they're for everyone and big business. As such they feel less like they were made by nerds for nerds and by man children for children. It's the main drawback of industry growth.

But the biggest thing is that you have aged. I spent thousands of hours in Street Fighter II Turbo and Alpha 3 - I was incredibly good. I thought when SF IV came out "great, gonna kick some arse." But I was grown up. I had a job, a desire to engage in productive hobbies and was playing WoW. I couldn't put the time in and as a result, I was beaten by kids the same age I was when I was good at the game.

I played KOTOR over 20 times, but I was at university on a Mickey Mouse degree and rarely attended. I've played through Mass Effect 2 twice (male/female) and consider it a much better story and more entertaining game.

Age eats into our time and thus our desire to replay things lessens.
    Last edited by mmoc5ef6914e13; 2013-12-13 at 11:36 AM.

Easy : console + casual.

Simplification, linearity, shallowness, quick fix without staying power.
    Games were previously made by gamers, since early-mid 2000 they are tailored by marketing. Most imagination, freshness and inventivity today comes from the indies - who lacks the means to make AAA titles, but who can afford to actually come up with ideas and follow them instead of watering down their concepts to please a bigger audience in order to cover the huge costs involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nungamunch View Post
    Games are no longer for us, they're for everyone and big business.
    Hey, quite what I was trying to say, but you said it better.
    But the biggest thing is that you have aged. I spent thousands of hours in Street Fighter II Turbo and Alpha 3 - I was incredibly good. I thought when SF IV came out "great, gonna kick some arse." But I was grown up. I had a job, a desire to engage in productive hobbies and was playing WoW. I couldn't put the time in and as a result, I was beaten by kids the same age I was when I was good at the game.
    THAT argument is idiotic, though. It's nothing to do with age. Many people who were doing games in the 80's and 90's had at the time the age you have now.
    I'm probably quite older than you, and I still have the gamer's burning soul inside me (*epic music and rolling drums*).
    Last edited by Akka; 2013-12-13 at 11:45 AM.

I cannot remember a single game that came out since 2006 or so and kept me interested for a long time and, most importantly, made me replay it.
    Have you tried Portal 2? Genuinely one of the best games i have ever played. Half-Life 2 + episodes is fantastic as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Games are no longer for us, they're for everyone and big business. As such they feel less like they were made by nerds for nerds and by man children for children. It's the main drawback of industry growth.
    I agree, this may be the case. Most of the games that are good these days are revamps of the old titles (so not exactly new games, strictly speaking). From the three games I've mentioned above, Dragon Age is, actually, a revamped version of Baldur's Gate, Starcraft 2 is a revamped version of Starcraft 1, and Mass Effect... I guess, it's just an exclusion, although it has some traits of KotoR.
    Such games as CoD that are most popular today... They are simply bad, and everyone who has played games back in 90-s can clearly see it. Doom which is 20 years old beats all CoD titles combined to shreds. CoD may be a little bit more realistic... But realism in games is like talking with your girlfriend in bed about mathematical equations: it is just not done. For realism, you can enlist into Military and be deployed somewhere in the Middle East.

I think it has nothing to do with it. While, clearly, I cannot spend so much time gaming as I could back in school, I still manage to play 2-3 hours every day, and enjoyment of the old titles today is, maybe, even more than back in 90-s. I can replay KotoR endlessly, and each time I like it more and more, especially compared with modern titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Have you tried Portal 2? Genuinely one of the best games i have ever played. Half-Life 2 + episodes is fantastic as well.
    Haven't tried Portal 2, but Half-Life series has never been appealing to me, hard to say why.

I think my preference of games lies in indie devs, and a few of the big ones still. The market seems to have diversified, where most "AAA"-devs try and make games that have a broad appeal, while others focus more on delivering their artistic vision. It's not a black & white thing, but I feel the trend is there.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Funny. I know exactly how you feel, yet I really don't. Many of the games you mention I've played to, and I revere most of them (KoTOR 1 still stands out as the best singleplayer games I've ever played). But then, when I reinstall them to take a stroll down memory lane I often find myself thinking "What the hell?". It's not been long since I dusted off my NWN discs and I was really looking forward to playing it. After spending like 1 hour figuring out my class, I was all ready to go, but meh. Having a quest arrow show me where to go and having the become accustom to the easiness (=user friendliness, I suppose) I find it very hard going back. When Oblivion first came out, I hated how the map showed me where to go, I was online crusading how 'reading the quest text gives immersion!' and all that ... But meh, for me, old games were superb back then but time has really taken its toll on them. Or maybe I just don't have the patience with video games anymore.

It's probably aging. Going back to some older games I cannot imagine why I've ever played them. However, you say you couldnt be bothered with 'kill 20 X' quests. In my memory, the earlier rpg's were far more grindy than they are now.

Have you tried Deus Ex: Human Revolution, or the Witcher 2? 2 in my opinion very good games. Looking forward to new episodes of The wolf among us and The walking dead.
    Lilaith, resident flamer for Winterfall, holy moderator in Hammer of Wrath.
    Discord: Lilaith#9028
    Bnet: Lilaith#2476

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say there has been one "new" series in the last 5-ish years that's sucked me in with some fantastic story-telling and rich narrative, and surprisingly enough that's Assassin's Creed. I love that series (yes, even AC3.).

I enjoyed Heart of the Swarm and Wings of Liberty, but to be honest I played them through once and haven't been back to them. So many games are so much like movies these days that the replay value just isn't there as much. As someone who's been playing Max Payne since it was brand new (and was blown away by it back when MP1 was released), I was absolutely floored by Max Payne 3. That's 20ish hours of my life I'm happy to never get back. Had a blast. But again, zero inclination right now to go back and play it.

Outside of that though? I'm with you on the Baldur's Gate and Starcraft replays. Oldies but goodies. BTW: KOTOR - Best game ever.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Dark Souls and Portal 2 were really good, although Portal really lacks reply value imo.

Would say it's nostalgia. It's not like quake is good in reality. Any shooter today that isn't completely broken is better, have more options etc.
    That being said i played quake far the most. Unreal tournament too.
    I'm just too lazy to start new games now. I really want to get done with several games, but haven't really gotten around to it ;D

Portal two i did complete very fast though.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

You have more experience than 10 years ago. Single player games are not that interesting any more cause there are no new stories. After 10 years of saving the princess/the galaxy/defeating the zombie army, there comes a time when you have seen it and are not as excited about it any more than when you heared those same stories for the first time.

I switched to purely gameplay based games a long time ago. Race games, sports games etc. And of course real sports.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm inclined to say it is you. I used to feel like that a few years ago, but now I realize that it was pure nostalgia and/or prejudice against new games.
    I got my first console in 92, and I have to say that 2013 was one of the best years in gaming I've lived. Probably the best one.

I don't want to be offensive, but seriously, open your mind. Saying that there's no good game after 2006... I can't help but think that you didn't try to play anything after 2006.

Its not the age....its just that games put too much in grafic instead of a gameplay.
    Not the ones I played. Maybe you're looking at the wrong place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    I don't want to be offensive, but seriously, open your mind. Saying that there's no good game after 2006... I can't help but think that you didn't try to play anything after 2006.
    Heh, I've tried tons of games since 2006. I've yet to try Witcher series though. But among what I've tried... I would go as far as to say that I haven't seen an RTS since 1999 any close to Age of Empires 2 (Starcraft 2 comes close, but then, again, it's a revamped version of the old game). I haven't seen an FPS since 2003 any close to Jedi Knight series. I haven't seen a card game since 2003 any close to Etherlords 2. I haven't seen a Hack'n'Slash game since 2000 any close to Diablo 2. And I haven't seen a turn-based game since 1999 that doesn't look like a game for kids with Down syndrome as compared to HoMM 3. I don't even mention MMOs - Ultima Online is so much better than all this endgame-based crap they make these days that I shiver when I hear WoW mentioned in any discussion.
    Single-player RPG, it seems, is the only genre that still does relatively well, even compared to the old titles. Dragon Age and Mass Effect series are just amazing, Witcher, they say, is amazing too, and Fallout: NV with Skyrim don't look that bad.

You could say it's all about nostalgia and not being open-minded. Very well. I've never played NWN series before and started NWN1 OC just two weeks ago or so. There is nothing about nostalgia since I've never played it. And yet the game feels so much better than anything, short of modern Bioware games, they make these days! And it is a game that was very cold received back in 2002 for its dull story and boring gameplay... What would people say about Skyrim back then, I wonder?

For me games and movies are just as good (or better) as they were in my youth, but I don't find any new music to be interesting. I could say it's because all music nowadays seems to be soulless derivative dross but it's more likely the part of my brain that is supposed to pick out new forms of music has been fossilised (or saturated) and it will be incredibly rare that something new comes close to the older stuff I've heard.

Similarly, whilst the OP still finds new music and movies interesting they no longer feel the same with games.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Such games as CoD that are most popular today... They are simply bad, and everyone who has played games back in 90-s can clearly see it. Doom which is 20 years old beats all CoD titles combined to shreds. CoD may be a little bit more realistic... But realism in games is like talking with your girlfriend in bed about mathematical equations: it is just not done. For realism, you can enlist into Military and be deployed somewhere in the Middle East.
    No it doesn't. Compared to modern shooters the early FPS games were pretty awful, either due to technical limitations or because the genre needed more time to evolve. Pick something post '98 for PC (Unreal and Half-life releases) or late in the PS2/GC/XBox console generation and you could make an argument for titles being superior, but given CoD does what it does perfectly competently that would be just, like, your opinion man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try stalker, preferably call of prypiat with some mods and you'll be ready for a nice trip to apocalypseland.