Poll: Would you pay to see WOW/ESport?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I have a friend who does gaming tournaments on a professional level (sponsors, paid trips, etc), but I honestly don't like anything gaming related enough to pay to watch someone play. I don't even watch real sports, though I used to.

Let me also add that I'm almost 30 and have never been to a concert.

Your poll is incomplete.

I choose "I might watch e-sports, but I'll never pay for it. Ever."

I would never watch WoW though, it's about as boring a game as it can get for a watcher.

Need an extra option: Would watch, but would never pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    WoW would be a great game if it weren't an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    It's really no different than watching sports, I feel. You're watching someone play a game that you could play yourself, but at a much higher level than you can, do, or could achieve.
    That's an assumption at best to say that they play at a much higher level.

OT: The OP should've specified on if the money amounts were monthly, annually, or a one time charge... but...

Either way, my answer is hell no. I much prefer to play the games myself.

Edit: I suppose I do sometimes watch someone play, but tends to be on the friends/family level, and they're not "e-athletes" that demand payment for being watched doing something I can do myself (which I find more enjoyable, silly me, I know!).

I'm glad I'm not suckered in by such intangible "goods." :P
    Last edited by BatteredRose; 2013-12-15 at 07:53 AM.

I feel like an option is missing...I'm somewhere between "I would watch if someone bought me a ticket" & "Indifferent"
    I'm not crazy into eSports, but I might sometimes watch, but I would not pay for it, and i wouldn't let anyone else buy me a ticket...it's not worth paying for

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    That's an assumption at best to say that they play at a much higher level.
    OT: The OP should've specified on if the money amounts were monthly, annually, or a one time charge... but...
    Either way, my answer is hell no. I much prefer to play the games myself.
    Edit: I suppose I do sometimes watch someone play, but tends to be on the friends/family level, and they're not "e-athletes" that demand payment for being watched doing something I can do myself (which I find more enjoyable, silly me, I know!).
    I'm glad I'm not suckered in by such intangible "goods." :P
    So it's safe to assume you don't pay for ANY sports channels on your TV broadcasting package? I can play basketball....can I play like Lebron? hell no...but it's fun to watch sports. It's the same as watching streams: You watch for the competition. Sure - you may be just as good as some of the players but it's about the competition and the entertainment involved in that and it allows you to learn by watching. Obviously with the rise of Twitch.tv there isn't much need to pay for streams but entertainment is entertainment. I'd rather pay $20 for a 2 day entertainment stream rather than paying $20 for a move ticket, popcorn, and a drink which lasts for 2-2.5 hrs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    The best part about sports is to actually, you know, PLAY the sport ... oh wait. Kind of the same thing.
    PWNT

No, I would not. Mostly because it would seem nobody actually plays like I do, and I keep yelling shit like, "NO! Turn around, you forgot something! What are you doing, don't do that!" Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like watching the arena stuff at Blizzcon, I get really into it after I've been drinking all day.

I'm willing to pay and watch certain sports that absolutely marvel me. Watching someone change directions all while running at 20+ miles an hour and then jumping at for a 40 inch vertical is one of them. Unfortunately, though I do agree that there is some talent involved, it is hard for me to view WoW arena and attributing equivalent talent to it. It really comes down to interest, appreciation, and preference.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Watching someone play games is like watching someone watch TV.
    Though I am not particularly a fan of "eSports", I disagree. They actually show the game on the big screen, as well as players playing them. Its essentially like watching from the nosebleeds. You find yourself watching the monitor and therefore, you've substituted commentary for the atmosphere.

Question for everyone, though: how many of you watch sports/esports with sound off?

I'm at the point where I would rather watch people play some of the games coming out than actually spend $60 on the piece of garbage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Watching someone play games is like watching someone watch TV.
    ...There is actually a TV programme based on that very concept.

I personally wouldn't pay to watch e-sports. I'll watch fighting game tournaments and I'll also watch youtube vids where I think there will be funny commentary but I would not be willing to pay for either.

I already pay to actually play WoW myself, I have no desire to watch somebody else play the game.

I'm interested to watch proper e-sports content for wow with proper shout casting and such, but not if I'd be required to pay for it.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't pay someone to watch, although I have been on twitch a few times, and that was to watch live raiding of the Garrosh fight.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Shitty polls are just that, shitty...

If you open a poll with bias right from the start, then simply don't bother making one..
    If you make a poll for the purpose of needing others approval of your own views, then get out and get some kind of RL accomplishment done..

It's a huge step from "I don't want to pay for someone playing WoW", to "I would never watch someone playing an eSport".

One has nothing to do with the other......

And Nope, I would not pay for someone playing WoW.
    I'd rather give my money to some organization that fights disease and obesity, instead of spending it on something that promotes it.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Pay money to watch other people play video games? You got to be kidding. I guess there really is a sucker born every minute.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh, my cousin runs CoD stuff and she's pretty hot and... yeah, you get the idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    Back in my wow prime I probably would have, but now I'm more casual in my MMO gaming, I possibly wouldn't, partly as for the most part I doubt I'd fully be able to follow whats going on.

Haha no way, thats just silly. If you're going to spend money on WoW, play it yourself...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I personally wouldn't but I've never been a big sports or big e-sports fan.
    This describes my take on this.

I don't even enjoy PvE kill-videos.

I would never pay to watch someone play WoW, but I have, and will gladly pay to watch someone play SC2 and sometimes even Dota 2.

Never WoW, no. Maybe Starcraft 2, but they'd have to group up all the major tournaments and offer a single subscription to the whole lot at 1080p. I *might* go for that, if it were say $5pcm for an annual subscription.