Page 1 of 55
... LastLast

Were the atomic bombs so bad?

I've always supported the Americans based on the logic that if the nation knew they had a weapon to end the war, saving the lives of many americans, and chose not to use it, the nation would go wild with fury.

To me, as horrible as the bombing was- it was a strategic decision that saved many troops of the US.

What's your view on it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Lesser of two evils.

This is a topic that has been debated since before the damn things were even built much less used.

The bomb not only saved the lives of Allied troops, but saved countless Japanese as well. They were to fight to the last man and while it is a tragedy that so many civilians died from the two bombs, the death toll would have been astronomically higher had there been a more traditional invasion.

Ugh... so it would also be as ok as you portray it, if the US was the one who got bombarded using the same logic by saving many Japanese troops?

Just sigh.

And yes, they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Ugh... so it would also be as ok as you portray it, if the US was the one who got bombarded using the same logic by saving many Japanese troops?

Just sigh.
    It's an act of war.

War is war. No way to sugarcoat it.

Better to kill 110.000 enemies than 1 ally, as far as I'm concerned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    That's pretty terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by time0ut View Post
    That's pretty terrible.
    War is terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's an act of war.

um yeah just about 99% of the people killed in Hiroshima and Nagasaki were civilians not military just people trying to live their lives probably without any malice towards the US how would we feel if NY and LA were nuked? pretty bad i would assume... having served both in the military and nypd i can say 2 wrongs never make a right

It's an act of war.

So you judge if a death is justified, and a bombing which costed the at the time lives and the current lives of the Japanese people there, purely by ethnicity. This is just... no words can actually describe it.

And by the way... you are actually trying to sugarcoat it: even your title is the very syntax used when trying to sugarcoat something. I'd say that your thread is your attempt of... nevermind.

Just sigh.

If not for the atomic bombs there wouldn't be entire libraries of strange post-bomb anime and shit for white kids to dress up as for conventions!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

This is one of the most disgusting things I have ever read on MMOC.

You should be ashamed of yourself: You racist, jingoist, schwein.

Quote Originally Posted by furfmonkey View Post
    um yeah just about 99% of the people killed in Hiroshima and Nagasaki were civilians not military just people trying to live their lives probably without any malice towards the US how would we feel if NY and LA were nuked? pretty bad i would assume... having served both in the military and nypd i can say 2 wrongs never make a right
    I'd venture that it was a very difficult decision for Truman to make in the first place, but we wouldn't have been there in the first place if Japan hadn't attacked Pearl Harbor in the cowardly fashion that they did.

10+ Year Old Account
    They would have just firebombed another 100,000+ to death so it's pretty much the same thing.

Deleted
    Lets just say theres many possible courses of action between either not using a bomb - dropping 2 nukes in populated cities.

I belive that the atomic bombs were amazing. Whats the point of having so many people on planet earth while you can kill a bunch of them by having a bomb.
    Everything worked out perfectly and the world was saved. Especially those who died in the bombings, they were given the chance to meet their maker...

Are you kidding me with this post? There should be an action by a Mod in this post, srsly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    If not for the atomic bombs there wouldn't be entire libraries of strange post-bomb anime and shit for white kids to dress up as for conventions!
    This is actually more true than you might realize. There are studies that the bomb emasculated the Japanese to such a degree, that their entire culture shifted from what we see pre-war to what exists now.

The problem wasn't dropping the bombs so to say, but the fact that the Americans dropped 2 bombs without giving the Japanese government enough time to asses the damage of the first and surrender. Basically they knew they Japanese were going to surrender after the first one but they wanted to test their new shiny toy out more, that and they wanted to show it off more to their enemies in other countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Truman "lied" to the American people he said the Hiroshima bomb was dropped on a "large" military base.. it wasnt it was dropped in the middle of a city full of women and children to test the bombs "effectiveness" and i quote:
    the official narrative was built on a lie, or at best a half-truth. Hiroshima did contain an important military base, used as a staging area for Southeast Asia, where perhaps 25,000 troops might be quartered. But the bomb had been aimed not at the “Army base” but at the very center of a city of 350,000, with the vast majority women and children and elderly males.
    http://www.thenation.com/blog/175617...bout-hiroshima
    Last edited by furfmonkey; 2013-12-16 at 09:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not only did the bombs save probably hundreds of thousands of lives between both sides, now we know the possibilities of such weapons to not use them in the future...hopefully.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality