Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Make weapons more interesting in WoD

I was looking through my transmog gear on my hunter and saw the weapons from the Deathwing encounter and it got me thinking about them again (and some of the weapons from ICC).

Blizzard really needs to bring back weapon equip bonuses/procs to make them more interesting again. Would even be cool if some of the procs were spec/class specific making one weapon BiS for a specific class or spec.

Possible examples:

A dagger that could proc a bonus to poison damage or could proc an additional amount of duration onto slice and Dice (Rogues)

Each ranged weapon drop has a different proc that affects a different hunter talent. One gives you a damage bonus when rapid fire is active and another procs a short duration crit chance bonus...

Sword or Dagger that procs small demons to spawn and do damage for 10 sec.... (Warlocks)

Mace (spirit) and Axe (agility) that spawns small elementals to do damage to enemies or heal allies. (Shaman)

Shield that procs an absorb shield on the tank (Prot Pally/Warrior)

2H Agility polearm that procs a small treant to heal and shield (guardian tank)

Each of these weapons can be used by any class/spec that can wield that type, but only in the hands of a certain class/spec does the weapon "Come Alive" and activate the "on equip" ability.

I dont want them to be super strong or game breaking, but a little extra bonus would be nice and would add a ton of fun and enjoyment when that weapon dropped.

For example, right now, my hunter only cares about getting a new ranged weapon because it would be a small % upgrade, but really would not be anything I could see since it would be well within the range of normal dps variance from fight to fight. A little proc on the side, even if the dps gain was slight, would at least give some sense that you got an upgrade.

Anyone else longing for weapons with some flair again?

Procs open up a bit of a Pandora's Box in game balance. Ghostcrawler addressed this a lot in his twitter feed. It's a complicated issue.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    /sarcasm on

I would love to have additional stuff on my weapons, making them even more important than they are now.
    I love to be crippled without a good weapon even more...
    /sarcasm off

honestly : no I do not want my weapon to have additional stuff, even the opposite: remove any secondary main stat (agi, str) from it if it is a melee weapon, just like it used to be. You can keep other secondary stats like mastery, haste, crit...
    Give intellect and half the DPS on caster weapons so that there is a difference between caster weapons and melee ones.
    That would make it easier to get a weapon in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by patcherke View Post
    /sarcasm on

I would love to have additional stuff on my weapons, making them even more important than they are now.
    /sarcasm off
    He subject'd it with "interesting" and to me some custom effects out side of damage or stats would be interesting. I'd be happy with better skins and animations or perhaps chance on hit to do an effect like the Moon Fire spell appearance (purely as example). My greatest sadness is that I de'd the 2hd Axe from the Wrath event which allowed you to turn into the Undead Guitarist.

Costmetic procs? Cosmetic procs would be fucking awesome, especially with the challenge gear effects.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    and make them better lookg aswell. I don't like any weapon in SoO. Ok maybe the drills look kinda cool but thats about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    Cosmetic procs would be fucking awesome.
    i really liked the Nibelung staff from ICC that proc'd valkyrs to fight for you, despite it not being very good. it was awesome to proc a shitload.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    Procs open up a bit of a Pandora's Box in game balance. Ghostcrawler addressed this a lot in his twitter feed. It's a complicated issue.
    It's really not a balance issue but a "do we want to waste time thinking of new stuff to put in the game constantly". As a long time Pally player I miss tomes/librams, they added a lot of awesome new factors into paladins and shamans abilities, the reason why they were removed was not a balance issue cause none of them were truly op or broken.

In the end it's lazyness of the devs.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexme View Post
    the reason why they were removed was not a balance issue cause none of them were truly op or broken.
    Remembers wearing his ilvl 200 libram during 9/10th of the WotLK expac
    Botoxide, Holy Paladin @ Doomhammer-EU

I think this would be cool, but as mentioned it would create balancing difficulties, especially as the whole stat system is changing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    i really liked the Nibelung staff from ICC that proc'd valkyrs to fight for you, despite it not being very good. it was awesome to proc a shitload.
    When I was leveling in Cata I refused to change my staff for a green one. I just loved those valkyrs. I still have both Nibelungs (normal + hc) in my bank. Another great weapon is the fire kitty staff. My druid has the druid staff (the one with all the green leaves) for transmog, I love the way the leaves fall off and how stuff just grows on it. They should make more weapons like this.

I understand the balancing issues...but procs were just fun, I miss them =/

The balancing issue comes from PvP in 99% of cases, so just disable them in PvP and problem solved. And yes would love to see more weapons with procs effects on them.

This would be a good place for a poll. I would love to see weapon procs make a bigger comeback. Especially if they were cosmetic.

I would love to have the shadowmourne effect back .. even if only I could see it, generall I don't care how others see me, I want it to look awsome on my screen :/.

I sort of understand the balancing issues for procs, but also don't at the same time.

Which weapons in the past really led to the removal of weapons with procs?

Is it just the irregularity, where sometimes there is no procs from the weapon and other times there can be 2-3 procs within 1 min?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    and make them better lookg aswell. I don't like any weapon in SoO. Ok maybe the drills look kinda cool but thats about it.
    This is subjective, thus useless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by patcherke View Post
    /sarcasm on

/sarcasm off

honestly : no I do not want my weapon to have additional stuff, even the opposite: remove any secondary main stat (agi, str) from it if it is a melee weapon, just like it used to be. You can keep other secondary stats like mastery, haste, crit...
    Give intellect and half the DPS on caster weapons so that there is a difference between caster weapons and melee ones.
    That would make it easier to get a weapon in the first place.
    Only a handful of weapons never had stats, even "back in the day".

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

The weapons from Deathwing was awesome and I would love to see something similar again but I think they should be more role bound and not class bound.

Cosmetic procs would be cool. I could see, say, a 2H axe in WOD having a chance on hit to turn you into an Ogre or something. The proc wouldn't increase your stats, but would just be a cosmetic bonus.

Cosmetic procs FTW. I would love to have some kind of Holy Avenger sword that creates some bad ass visual effect in the hands of a paladin etc.