Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshot View Post
    Writing in caps doesn't make you more correct, it just makes you look demented. There are plenty of reasons to use a tunneling service to connect to WoW, and most of them aren't about being "dishonest" or to "circumvent something". Blizzard themselves are fine with people using tunneling services to connect to the servers, with the caveat that their automated systems can sometimes incorrectly ban you, but they'll fix it really quickly as has been mentioned in this thread already. So stop trying to think that anyone using a tunneling service is a criminal.
    you are entitled to your opinion. doesn't make it right no matter how small you choose to make your print.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Templis View Post
    I used to live in Thailand so playing with a tunneling service (VPN) was almost mandatory to get the game to a playable level. I'll do my best to give you some personal insight:

1) I've never gotten banned for using a tunneling service (though I understand that Blizzard doesn't offer support for using one, though). I have, however, had my account locked a huge number of times because of the IPs switching.

2) N/A

3) Where I live now my latency to US servers is infinitely better, so I no longer need the server. Were I to live somewhere where latency would shoot above 200ms again, I would most probably use a tunneling service again.

4) Because it really does improve your latency. It all comes down to how your connection to Blizzard's servers is routed, something which is also largely determined by your ISP. In my case, it would look something like this:

Without VPN: 300-380ms
    With VPN: 200-220ms
    wow. if I was over 30 I would be looking at why.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by Imhere View Post
    Off topic - Whatttt? since when do actual Blizzard employees post on this forum?
    I do not know about in the past, but there are in a few replies from official blizzard employees with accounts here.
    Primarily on account issues, which this thread is related to.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    1) DO WHAT YOU ARE AT SCHOOL FOR
    2) PLAY FROM THE SERVER YOU ARE INTENDED
    3) DON'T GIVE IN TO YOUR NEED TO ATTEMPT TO CIRCUMVENT THE SYSTEM

and you wont get banned. there is no reason to play from a vpn or use a dynamic IP other than to be dishonest or circumvent something.
    99% of internet users are on dynamic ip addresses so I'm not sure what crack you're smoking.

I got banned a few months ago and was using a tunneling service some of the time, it was sorted out reasonably quickly via ticket, I called them on skype and the guy was pretty nice and reassuring but couldn't really do anything, had an authenticator active at all times.

I haven't really used it since since the lag problems i was having went away.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    I do not know about in the past, but there are in a few replies from official blizzard employees with accounts here.
    Primarily on account issues, which this thread is related to.
    That is why i actually posted over here, the answer that i can get from an official will be the most authenticated

Quote Originally Posted by Templis View Post
    I used to live in Thailand so playing with a tunneling service (VPN) was almost mandatory to get the game to a playable level. I'll do my best to give you some personal insight:

1) I've never gotten banned for using a tunneling service (though I understand that Blizzard doesn't offer support for using one, though). I have, however, had my account locked a huge number of times because of the IPs switching.

2) N/A

3) Where I live now my latency to US servers is infinitely better, so I no longer need the server. Were I to live somewhere where latency would shoot above 200ms again, I would most probably use a tunneling service again.

4) Because it really does improve your latency. It all comes down to how your connection to Blizzard's servers is routed, something which is also largely determined by your ISP. In my case, it would look something like this:

Without VPN: 300-380ms
    With VPN: 200-220ms
    Thank you for your feedback, would you mind telling me which tunneling service did you use? i want to try that out, there are few ( i dont intend to mention names ) which were Okayish, but didnt give me the result against what i am paying for. Thailand isnt far from my place, i usually get 250ms+ most of the time and it shoots up to 400ms,

10+ Year Old Account
    Just curious, how do they ban ip's doesn't your ip address change rather frequently?

they lock your accounts, at times they ban both Ips and account.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    99% of internet users are on dynamic ip addresses so I'm not sure what crack you're smoking.
    right. that is why 99% of vent abusers are easily banned BY BLOCKING THEIR IP.

next cool story bro.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Just curious, how do they ban ip's doesn't your ip address change rather frequently?

there are two types of IP, static and dynamic. the majority of IP used are static. you are given that IP by your provider for that computer. hence if you are a miscreant you can be easily tracked right to your home.

next cool story bro.
    Normally you block an IP-range. Someone nearby on the same service may also get blocked (happened to me when my irl friend got blocked)

And majority of IP's are dynamic, and you can't be tracked solely through a previously used IP right to your home, usually closest exchange.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

next cool story bro.

- - - Updated - - -

there are two types of IP, static and dynamic. the majority of IP used are static. you are given that IP by your provider for that computer. hence if you are a miscreant you can be easily tracked right to your home.
    as an example I just used a popular IP tracker on myself
    the following are the results that ANYONE can obtain
    i have removed any personal identification from what I am posting but you can get the general idea.

IP Address Labs Results
    IP Address:
    City:
    REMOVED
    State/Region:
    REMOVED
    Country Code:
    US
    Postal Code:
    REMOVED
    ISP:
    REMOVED
    Latitude:
    Longitude:

right down to the grid this report was accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Normally you block an IP-range. Someone nearby on the same service may also get blocked (happened to me when my irl friend got blocked)

And majority of IP's are dynamic, and you can't be tracked solely through a previously used IP right to your home, usually closest exchange.
    My Father who retired as lead investigator with the internet crime division in Long Beach California would tell you otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    as an example I just used a popular IP tracker on myself...

My Father who retired as lead investigator with the internet crime division in Long Beach California would tell you otherwise.

It changes from isp to isp but usually it follows this pattern:

If you connect via cable / television networks you get an ip from your provider (always on, no force-disconnect every 24h) = static ip, same everytime

If you connect via the Telephone network / adsl / vdsl you are in an ip-pool and usually get disconnected every 24h hours = dyamic ip or ip-range
    Last edited by Yuna; 2013-12-20 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuna View Post
    It changes from isp to isp but usually it follows this pattern:

If you connect via cable / television networks you get an ip from your provider (always on, no force-disconnect every 24h) = static ip, same everytime

If you connect via the Telephone network / adsl / vdsl you are in an ip-pool and usually get disconnected every 24h hours = dyamic ip or ip-range
    and there you have it.

even in the case of the ip range you can still be tracked to your provider and then traced through them to you.

truly dynamic ip are not the case and often these are what malicious players use to hide behind.
    even those however are not fool proof.
    case in point, had a guy thought is was funny to troll our vent from one and pop right back on the second we banned his IP.

took some time but he was not laughing when the police showed up at his residence.
    Last edited by judgementofantonidas; 2013-12-20 at 03:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But how do you block people with a dynamic ip address? it's not really feasible for blizzard,mmochampion etc to track your ip and contact an isp and ask the isp to always block content for that particular thing for each ip address you have :S

You also can't just block access to a range as other cusotmers that did nothing wrong would be blocked...

But how do you block people with a dynamic ip address? it's not really feasible for blizzard,mmochampion etc to track your ip and contact an isp and ask the isp to always block content for that particular thing for each ip address you have :S
    the only way to block someone who is using a dynamic IP address is by, as already stated, blocking the block of IP address that theirs populates from. the drawback is that you would ban anyone from their ISP using that block as well. it would also not be 100% because there are IP providers that use ways to get around the geographical nature of IP addresses.

15+ Year Old Account

next cool story bro.
    Just because you get the same ip address consistently doesn't make it static. ISP's use DHCP which means your IP address is on a lease. It might expire after 12 or 24 hours if no connection is present. Try turning off your cable modem/router for a day and watch it change. In some cases it will happen immediately.

Now if you're talking about your internal private IP address on the 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x range or 172.26.x.x range than sure those rarely change. They also aren't valid ip addresses on the internet.

15+ Year Old Account

You also can't just block access to a range as other cusotmers that did nothing wrong would be blocked...
    You don't. You suspend the account in question or all accounts who were on that ip address at the time of the violation. The good people will call in and get the account fixed. Blizzard has banned some ip subnet ranges in the past who were involved in gold farming from China but I doubt they would ban an entire subnet from a major ISP.

so far what i've fetch some news and info is that you can always use Authenticator , or you can use a static ip option as well.

I've updated the thread, i'll be looking for other solution and feed backs that i will get from you people and will let you know.

and there you have it.

even in the case of the ip range you can still be tracked to your provider and then traced through them to you.
    Except the latter is what I stated, and you disagreed with. So which is it?

Maybe static is more popular in the US. Dynamic is the norm in the UK using ADSL

Edit: and you daddy requesting data from the ISP is not using the IP address alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    No ISPs use static unless you request it (or it's part of the service, typically premium). The only reason you'd ever need a static IP is if you're running some form of service (Like a web or mail server) which needs to resolve to the same IP when people/devices look for it.

If every single router needed to be statically assigned an IP address it'd be an absolute nightmare to manage. Hell, even in private domains you use a DHCP server for maybe a few hundred clients. An ISP would be dealing with a few hundred thousand clients if not millions, if in larger countries (say, America).

Deleted
    1) DO WHAT YOU ARE AT SCHOOL FOR
    2) PLAY FROM THE SERVER YOU ARE INTENDED
    3) DON'T GIVE IN TO YOUR NEED TO ATTEMPT TO CIRCUMVENT THE SYSTEM

and you wont get banned. there is no reason to play from a vpn or use a dynamic IP other than to be dishonest or circumvent something.
    lol - not everyone plays from a country that has direct hosted WoW servers (i.e - United States, China, Australia, Western Europe, Russia). This is more common on EU servers than on US servers, but we have a large number of players from nations such as Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Iran, India or from Africa for example (there's a number of French speaking west africans that play on French EU servers, for example). There's also a large number of ex-pats who say ... moved from NYC to London for work, but still want to play with their US friends on their old US account. Or vice versa. My guild has 2 British members who moved to Australia for work, but continue to play on EU accounts because that's where their friends and characters are.

Many of those nations strictly control or limit internet access and the only way to play a video game is via a VPN or proxy that circumvents those controls (Iranian players, etc). Or the infrastructure provides very poor performance when connecting to western Europe or the United States, and using a service such as BattlePing allows them to reach a playable level of latency, etc.

There's a number of very good reasons to connect to WoW via a VPN or a Proxy. And there's a much larger world than just sitting on the east coast of the USA. It wouldn't hurt you to familiarize yourself with it.