Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    Previous game based movies have failed because they had either Nothing with the game to do, or To confusing for new audience.
    silent hill movie was loyal to the game and it didn't even get 30% on rotten tomatoes. I liked the movie but i think critics automatically give a "game movie" bad ratings just because it has become a tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    you cant make a good movie out of a fighter game like mortal kombat... it just doesnt work.

Lotr is good... warcraft can easily be similar movie, which will end up good.

People say Doom-movie was bad but i liked it... i know nothing about the doom story except the basic thing but the movie was solid scifi even if it didnt have this player character kinda guy who adventures through hell and survives easily...
    Mortal Kombat was actually perfect for a movie if they just went with the fucking story line out of the video game instead of trying to make a movie feel like a video game with video game moments that loosely used the plot and tried to mix it up with standard Hollywood plot devices. This 1993 commercial for MK2 is better than all of the movies and tv series ever made about Mortal Kombat according to me and a lot of other people

http://youtu.be/GBhm8kMVMVc

I feel because it used surreal style and a dreamlike quality to the cinematography and set design and it openly used magic without having to depend on real life explanations and weird aborted plot lines mutated to make some kind of edgy appeal to some demographic in the audience. It looks like it was made by Tarsem Singh or Zack Snyder almost, but it was actually made by an FX artist who worked on Return of the Jedi, Hellraiser 1-3, Candyman, Nightbreed, and many other classic staples in the horror genre. They used the actual mocap actors from the video game as well, funny enough. They didn't have to worry about dialog or a story however (or making Baraks's face able to move but we can ignore that).

Video game movies always suck because they are basically made by boardroom executives looking to cash in on a franchise's popularity. Most of the people over 30 today don't know video games have stories, and in the 90s, most people making movies didn't even play video games.

Now people are growing up who played video games, and they are changing this. The same way games are no longer being regarded as a toy for children.

Don't be a victim of confirmation bias. Context matters. Video game movies suck because of specific reasons, not becomes video games intrinsically create bad movies due to a law of physics.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    People say Doom-movie was bad but i liked it... i know nothing about the doom story except the basic thing but the movie was solid scifi even if it didnt have this player character kinda guy who adventures through hell and survives easily...
    It's fine and all that you liked the piece shit known as Doom but the majority, the large majority, did not. A lot of people go to a movie and expect some story nice visuals and decent acting. Just because you're entertained with the absence of those three doesn't mean most people will be. Oh and just because Warcraft is fantasy don't compare it to LotR that's akin to saying that Avatar: The Last Airbender was good because The Karate Kid, the original not the shitty remake, was a good movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really hope it's good. It has better potential than street fighter etc..
    And it seems like it's going alright, knock on wood
    I like juice

DOOM could have been fantastic if they actually bothered to look at where the hell DOOM came from.

Doom was a result of Carmack and ID's founders wondering what it would be like if you crossed the Evil Dead 2 with James Cameron's Aliens.
    But instead of using that inspiration, we get a 90 minute commercial for a movie. It almost was cool in so many ways, it was a shame. The Rock should never have been a part of it. Karl Urban was great, his first person sequence was fun, Stan Winston's FX were a lot of fun, but the movie had no soul and ignored the spirit of where Doom came from.
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

I'm more worried if the movie will mess up the game.

The movie was going to be bad. Under the current setup, it will probably be worth watching.

The real gripe is, will they Mario Brothers it. Aka- change a bunch of crap in order to appeal to "everyone", but in reality "everyone" doesn't care, but the core fans get fucked.

The worst part might be that Warcraft and the new Star Wars movie will both be terrible. Then that will be a sad day indeed.

I don't think that Blizzard would release the movie if it wasn't up to their standards. Also it will be delayed like everything else they do I'd imagine.

Deleted
    by "really really bad", do you mean poor ratings and reviews? if so, maybe.

but then again, in my opinion, people who judge movies purely on reviews from websites such as imdb or rottentomatoes are idiots.

i've seen films rated lower than 5/10 on imdb which i think are good, just watch the movie yourself and then decide whether YOU personally think its bad, and if you do, just remember there is a high chance that theres someone else on the planet who thinks it is a good film, so whether its a good or bad film is purely subjective. don't trust reviews.

Honestly I feel like it can be better than the Tolkien movies Ppl go crazy about them and I don't get it. Proper humans vs orcs movie ... I am ready to be amazed.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by flinstone View Post
    silent hill movie was loyal to the game and it didn't even get 30% on rotten tomatoes. I liked the movie but i think critics automatically give a "game movie" bad ratings just because it has become a tradition.
    that movie was scary. i dont think it was as bad as <30% tho. the creepiest part is when they are in that school and all of a sudden this giant monster starts cutting through the wall with a sword.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have faith in Duncan Jones, whose two previous pictures were “Moon” and “Source Code”, two of the best, most inventive science-fiction films of the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Elementalkin View Post
    It's going to be terrible.

1. It's been in development hell, which is generally not a good sign.
    It's a total neutral. All that matters is the script, director, quality of actors, and the chemistry between director and actors. Unless the special effects fall flat, unlikely for a Legendary flik, it should be good. If the delay was to ensure all the elements were in place, then it will be good. If the delay was all a bunch of dithering, then it won't. We'll see. Plenty of all-time great movies took years to make. Most movies actually have quite a history, actually.

2. It's live action, which means that it's not going to look or feel like Warcraft, no matter how well they imitate it.
    If the special effects for 47 Ronin are any indication, then I'm not worried. That movie seems to have blended live action and fantasy seemlessly (the shot of a woman waving her robe and becoming a "cloud serpent" like dragon was very well done). Thus between Avatar tech, WETA tech and various other new tools that have been developed in the last few years, the delay in development may actually have helped.

3. The plot focus as revealed thus far doesn't seem very interesting or compelling.
    Any story is only as interesting as it is told. As well, all we really know is that we don't know much. That's good. The movie should be a bit of a surprise. By the time the movie is released, I don't want to have seen released artwork for scenes, I don't want to have seen the storyboards and tons of clips so that the movie is mostly connecting the dots. I'm glad it doesn't seem compelling at this point. That means that they haven't given away the movie. If it seemed compelling now, prior to shooting, then I would be concerned that too much of the movie was being disclosed in an effort to market the film.

4. Video game adaptions never work. Based on what we've seen, at best it may become popular for superficial reasons like special effects, but I doubt even that.
    Never? Tomb Raider sure worked. There are actually a number of video game adaptations that have worked to varying degrees. So, that statement is provably and factually incorrect. Of course, you can doubt that the Warcraft movie will be successful and you will have those doubts in common with much of the Warcraft community. However, if the basis for those doubts is that "video game adaptions [sic] never work", then those doubts are baseless.

I stand to be corrected, but everything I've seen and learned so far leads me to believe that it's only being done because enough people want a Warcraft movie, not because there is a need for one or that it's a good idea on its own.
    Well, let me help you out. A BAD Warcraft movie damages the Warcraft IP...badly. It harms the ability to retain or bring gamers to future Xpacs and/or to expand the IP with spinoffs and/or subsequent RPGs or MMOs based on the Warcraft IP. Thus, not only is there very large incentive NOT to make a bad movie, but tremendous pressure for Blizzard to ensure that it is a very good movie and not just a special effect movie that doesn't further Blizzard's reputation as storytellers.

It's always possible that the folks trying to make this movie fail in their endeavor to create something special. However, the cynicism isn't as warranted as you think....and I'm hardly a pollyanna when it comes to Blizzard's dealings.
    Last edited by Mackeyser; 2013-12-21 at 11:41 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've got full faith that this will be an excellent movie.

It's got A LOT backing it.

First of the Legendary Pictures has done a GREAT job with a lot of different projects and is the best choice of a studio for this project. They will make sure it gets EVERYTHING it needs.

ILM (Industrial Light & Magic) is working on the project, they are arguably the top GCI and VFX company ever, and have given us some of the most recognized and iconic worlds we know. Their work speaks for itself.

Weta FX is reportedly working on the project as well. They are also another top Prop/VFX companies in the world, and they have given us some of the greatest props and effects for some of the more recent and recognizable Sci-Fi/Fantasy films of the past 20 years, This includes Iron Man, Avatar, and Lord of the Rings amongst MANY others.

If the above two are true we can expect ILM to produce the CGI effects, while Weta to do the practical effects and props.

Duncan Jones is another excellent installment in the team, with a solid background both in and out of film. His directing skills are nothing to scoff at. Adding to this a solid Production staff and department heads (I'm jealous of the Production Designer!), they've got a solid group all around.

And finally Blizzard Entertainment and their supporting team providing the story, world and direction for the production. This is one of the BIGGEST parts in why I believe that this will be a huge success and an excellent film. Blizzard had the opportunity to push a movie out of the door back in around 2006-07 riding the hype train and getting big bucks, and I mean BIG bucks. This not only would have drawn in revenue to the film, but additionally to the game making already soaring subscription numbers go higher. They, however, restrained, they did not go all in then but rather made a calculated and concise plan of execution, one which they are still following through. They put work into a story which they believed in will be a success, got an all-star team together which they could stand behind, and still after many opportunities to just go ahead with it already, or to call it off, they still gave it the green light. And herein will lie it's success. It's got the time, love and nurturing, as well as a strongly providing universe behind them to carry the story and movie forward.

The only other Video Game Universe I would argue could hold it's own weight like this is the Halo universe.

We've seen so many strings of failure previously because the universes are *just* not there. Either they just do not translate and transcend from one medium to another, or they simply did not have enough time put into them in order to achieve any significant effect.

I have faith that the Warcraft movie will not only be well done, but it will pave the way and set the new standard for video game movies to come, and much like X-Men and Spiderman it will create a whole new wave of expectancy from these films.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    I've got full faith that this will be an excellent movie.

It's got A LOT backing it.

First of the Legendary Pictures has done a GREAT job with a lot of different projects and is the best choice of a studio for this project. They will make sure it gets EVERYTHING it needs.

ILM (Industrial Light & Magic) is working on the project, they are arguably the top GCI and VFX company ever, and have given us some of the most recognized and iconic worlds we know. Their work speaks for itself.

Weta FX is reportedly working on the project as well. They are also another top Prop/VFX companies in the world, and they have given us some of the greatest props and effects for some of the more recent and recognizable Sci-Fi/Fantasy films of the past 20 years, This includes Iron Man, Avatar, and Lord of the Rings amongst MANY others.

If the above two are true we can expect ILM to produce the CGI effects, while Weta to do the practical effects and props.

Duncan Jones is another excellent installment in the team, with a solid background both in and out of film. His directing skills are nothing to scoff at. Adding to this a solid Production staff and department heads (I'm jealous of the Production Designer!), they've got a solid group all around.

And finally Blizzard Entertainment and their supporting team providing the story, world and direction for the production. This is one of the BIGGEST parts in why I believe that this will be a huge success and an excellent film. Blizzard had the opportunity to push a movie out of the door back in around 2006-07 riding the hype train and getting big bucks, and I mean BIG bucks. This not only would have drawn in revenue to the film, but additionally to the game making already soaring subscription numbers go higher. They, however, restrained, they did not go all in then but rather made a calculated and concise plan of execution, one which they are still following through. They put work into a story which they believed in will be a success, got an all-star team together which they could stand behind, and still after many opportunities to just go ahead with it already, or to call it off, they still gave it the green light. And herein will lie it's success. It's got the time, love and nurturing, as well as a strongly providing universe behind them to carry the story and movie forward.

The only other Video Game Universe I would argue could hold it's own weight like this is the Halo universe.

We've seen so many strings of failure previously because the universes are *just* not there. Either they just do not translate and transcend from one medium to another, or they simply did not have enough time put into them in order to achieve any significant effect.

I have faith that the Warcraft movie will not only be well done, but it will pave the way and set the new standard for video game movies to come, and much like X-Men and Spiderman it will create a whole new wave of expectancy from these films.
    Indeed, but context is hard, it takes actually exploring and thinking a subject through all over again instead of just referencing things I already thought or heard about. But I'll try harder.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will like it just because the lore, if it's on the same quality as their cinematic then all the better :S How good it is just effects how many friends/ family i force to watch it to try to encourage them into wow ^^

Also i hope it's not like lotr...i can't stand the lotr/hobbit films QQ

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    Indeed, but context is hard, it takes actually exploring and thinking a subject through all over again instead of just referencing things I already thought or heard about. But I'll try harder.
    I'm sorry, I've found myself confused as to what you're trying to say?

What context are you referring to? And exploring and thinking about what subjects? Referencing things you already though or heard about? You'll try harder at what?

What? ... huh?

I'm so confused. Are you under the assumption that my post was aimed at you? Could you clear your post up some.
    Last edited by Krekko; 2013-12-22 at 12:19 AM.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Deleted
    *tries to think of a game based movie ever doing well....

....nope, can't think of any*

That being said, the people/companies that are behind this movie have done some awesome stuff, and i'd wager the budget is far superior to previous game-movies

One thing that often destroys game movies is when they don't stick to established canons.
    The best example is the Doom movie. It's a mediocre/slightly good movie, plot is cool, innovative, entertaining.
    But for a Doom fan who expected a movie related to the games, it's ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE! as it has nothing to do with Doom besides a few allusions and a short fps sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    I'm sorry, I've found myself confused as to what you're trying to say?

What context are you referring to? And exploring and thinking about what subjects? Referencing things you already though or heard about? You'll try harder at what?

What? ... huh?

I'm so confused. Are you under the assumption that my post was aimed at you? Could you clear your post up some.
    I was being satirical and making a passive aggressive jab at the people who automatically assume a movie is bad because it's based on a video game because apparently video game adaptations are just intrinsically bad movies due to some kind of universal constant in the laws of physics. I was being snarky or sarcastic. I was agreeing with you, and lamenting over the people who so often ignore context in favor of cannards.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post
    One thing that often destroys game movies is when they don't stick to established canons.
    The best example is the Doom movie. It's a mediocre/slightly good movie, plot is cool, innovative, entertaining.
    But for a Doom fan who expected a movie related to the games, it's ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE! as it has nothing to do with Doom besides a few allusions and a short fps sequence.
    Well it's weird to think that anyone expected a Doom movie to be good. The games plot was pretty shit iirc as well. I just remember starting in some weird slime ridden dungeon with a gun and just moving through and shooting everything.

Wolfenstein would have been a cooler movie imo.