Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    Well it's weird to think that anyone expected a Doom movie to be good. The games plot was pretty shit iirc as well. I just remember starting in some weird slime ridden dungeon with a gun and just moving through and shooting everything.

Wolfenstein would have been a cooler movie imo.
    well atleast they are making a Metal Gear Solid movie, which has the best storyline in a series of games ever, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Think Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter live action movies.

What do you think at this point?
    Mortal Kombat was great and Street Fighter was so bad it was great. Not good examples...there are plenty of game->movie that were plain awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    Well it's weird to think that anyone expected a Doom movie to be good. The games plot was pretty shit iirc as well. I just remember starting in some weird slime ridden dungeon with a gun and just moving through and shooting everything.

Wolfenstein would have been a cooler movie imo.
    Scientists working on the first portal technology accidentally open a gateway to a universe very much like Hell, on a base on Mars, with space marines in futuristic body armor, and they all get possessed while demonic creatures flood into the station and run amok. Eventually we even get cybernetic demonic entities, weeee. If you think that's a shit plot with no room for something good, I'll submit you are just not trying here or lack vision.

Again, Doom was intended to be a cross between the Evil Dead and Aliens. Frank Darabont's the Mist and in turn Half Life were also based on a similar idea, only instead of Hell, it was just a weird ass alien dimension.

How is a one man Nazi killing army superior to that? To each their own, i suppose.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    So far it seems it will be a typical high-budget movie.Fantastic on presentation,visuals and effects,with fair acting and well representing what WarCraft as a franchise is to people to aren't into it,however,a bit lacking on the story in the movie itself.

And I'm perfectly fine with that. Wouldn't expect anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Araron View Post
    So far it seems it will be a typical high-budget movie.Fantastic on presentation,visuals and effects,with fair acting and well representing what WarCraft as a franchise is to people to aren't into it,however,a bit lacking on the story in the movie itself.

And I'm perfectly fine with that. Wouldn't expect anything else.
    Funny, with how much emphasis Duncan Jones has placed on presenting unusually empathetic and charismatic characters in roles traditionally reserved for 2 dimensional black vs white good guys and villains. You must be watching something other than me.

http://youtu.be/D7XuOIQAB04
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    Scientists working on the first portal technology accidentally open a gateway to a universe very much like Hell, on a base on Mars, with space marines in futuristic body armor, and they all get possessed while demonic creatures flood into the station and run amok. Eventually we even get cybernetic demonic entities, weeee. If you think that's a shit plot with no room for something good, I'll submit you are just not trying here or lack vision.

Again, Doom was intended to be a cross between the Evil Dead and Aliens. Frank Darabont's the Mist and in turn Half Life were also based on a similar idea, only instead of Hell, it was just a weird ass alien dimension.

How is a one man Nazi killing army superior to that? To each their own, i suppose.
    its not really a good plot though.

-working on mars
    -open portal to hell
    -monsters attack
    -try survive

thats pretty much what you described, not much thought goes into a plot like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzlee View Post
    its not really a good plot though.

-working on mars
    -open portal to hell
    -monsters attack
    -try survive

thats pretty much what you described, not much thought goes into a plot like that.
    The same could be said for the Mist or the pilot of the first season of the Walking dead or the Lord of the Flies or the Shawshank Redemption. There is quite a spectrum of what makes a movie good. Just having a lone marine wandering a creepy place full of awesome sets with good pacing and suspense and incredible prosthetics and CGI with well done action sequences alone could be done with interesting execution. Putting a human element into it with a handful of survivors and a moral dilemma exploring the break down of structure in a society and it's effect on human nature is but one of multiple themes to be explored there.

You can break down any plot in existence and deconstruct it with the same flippancy you just did above.
    And you can have a number of scales of value to judge the quality of a movie upon.

Of course I expect it to be horrible... that way I'm not let down but hopefully impressed :-)
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

Deleted
    The same could be said for the Mist or the pilot of the first season of the Walking dead or the Lord of the Flies or the Shawshank Redemption. There is quite a spectrum of what makes a movie good. Just having a lone marine wandering a creepy place full of awesome sets with good pacing and suspense and incredible prosthetics and CGI with well done action sequences alone could be done with interesting execution. Putting a human element into it with a handful of survivors and a moral dilemma exploring the break down of structure in a society and it's effect on human nature is but one of multiple themes to be explored there.

You can break down any plot in existence and deconstruct it with the same flippancy you just did above.
    And you can have a number of scales of value to judge the quality of a movie upon.
    im not saying the plot defines whether or not a movie will be good or not, like you said, technically the plot to the shawshank redemption isn't anything incredible, but its still a good film due to other factors.

im just saying the plot in general for Doom isn't that good, whereas you were saying it as if it was some well-thought, original idea. sure, it can still be made into a good film if other factors make it so, but it still wouldn't give Doom a good plot.

Deleted
    Funny, with how much emphasis Duncan Jones has placed on presenting unusually empathetic and charismatic characters in roles traditionally reserved for 2 dimensional black vs white good guys and villains. You must be watching something other than me.

http://youtu.be/D7XuOIQAB04
    I never said there won't be charismatic characters.Its Warcraft,there has to be.However,imo the point of the movie is to show off WarCraft as a franchise,not introduce characters with an emotional backstory that we would all get "attached" to.
    But the movie hasn't begin filming yet.We'll see how the whole thing turns out.Legendary/Duncan/Chris/etc. can praise their "plan" they have about the movie as much as they want,but you can't know how the final product will look in the end.

1. Mortal Kombat (the first one) was camptastically awesome. The theme song alone was worth the price of admission. I wasn't expecting Citizen Kane there and I wasn't disappointed.

2. Some are pretty good. Resident Evil hits that camp vibe and the Silent Hill movie was pretty decent while still including some inside jokes for the game fans.

3. I don't think the Warcraft movie will be good. I would be happy to be wrong but I see Warcraft as a very good 'game' plot but a horrible 'movie' plot. Some can be one or the other, some could be both, but I really see this going the way of the Dungeons and Dragons movie...
    Is this where the header goes?

I like the first MK movie too. Even in retrospect, I still enjoy it as a movie. It's not the greatest, but it wasn't terrible and I think it accomplished being what a MK movie is all about. And yes, the sequel shows exactly how terrible it could've been.

How will the WoW movie turn out? I won't judge till I see it. First impressions are difficult to use as a gauge too. The LOTR movies were very hit-and-miss with the hardcore fans. They were great movies, but a lot of people crucified it for straying from the books, and didn't give it a chance. I feel Warcraft movie will come under the same scrutiny, of whether it sticks closely to the source material or tells a good story, but it will take time for people to warm up to it.

Uh, Mortal Kombat was a good movie. (not counting Mortal Kombat: Annihilation which was complete crap)

It was the first time that a video game was taken, and turned into a movie while still A. being watchable and B. staying relatively true to the video game.

It should not be placed next to Street Fighter: The Movie in any discussion.

Street Fighter took a bunch of A-list actors, and put them into awkward campy fight scenes and an impossibly stupid narrative that was laughable at best.

Mortal Kombat took lesser known actors who were better known for their martial arts choreography skills and wrapped an awkwardly delivered (but otherwise well written) narrative around some pretty decent fighting (It wasn't exactly bruce lee stuff, but compared to the crap you see in a lot of fighting movies it was pretty decent) but the fact is they did it right. For a PG-13 movie based on what was then the most violent and gory video game ever created they hit the nail on the head.

The fact is whenever you get a franchise that crosses mediums you have a dynamic that forms in between the purists who demand to see exactly what they read/played/etc and people who just want to go and see an entertaining movie.

The same dynamic will exist with the Warcraft movie. It's either going to piss off the purists, or bore to death the people who haven't heard of Warcraft. Or, they could settle for the middle ground like Mortal Kombat's creators did.

Not every movie is going to be a great movie, and Mortal Kombat knew where it's place was. So the question becomes: Will the Warcraft movie know where it's place is? But I agree. I'm guessing no. It's going to be another Streetfighter the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    I'm curious, what are you basing this off of OP?

Uh oh, two movies turned out bad in your opinion, so all movies are going to turn out bad?

Really at this point, you're just being a doomsayer and nothing more. Don't get me wrong, you're entitled to your opinion, but I think it's way too early to tell.
    This is just my opinion but...

Super Mario Bros
    Mortal Kombat
    Street Fighter
    Blood Rayne
    Resident Evil series
    Dragon Ball Z

Nuff said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, when I first heard of the possibility of a Warcraft film a few years ago, I was convinced that it would never come to fruition. The lack of any information on it since its announcement didn't help. You can imagine how surprised I was earlier this year to learn that not only was the project still alive, but it seems that it is being made in seemingly good hands by those that certainly have big ambitions for it.

I get that video game films don't work out at all most of the time (that doesn't mean that video game movies can't be good), and it's obviously too early for me to predict whether this movie will be good or not, but I feel safe saying that, at the very least, it seems to have too much talent, ambition, and money being put into it for it to be half-assed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the release date is bad because the movies release in recent years flopped
    John Carter and Jack the giant slayer came to my mind
    Both cost over 200 millions to produce.......and now Warcraft
    But nothing is accurate so we will have see how it will turn out
    Last edited by Soul Craver; 2013-12-22 at 04:28 AM.

I'm guessing it will be a disappointment, just like all the other video game inspired movies.

I'm sure most WoW fans will at least go check it out.
    But what about the mainstream masses who have never touched a single Blizzard title let alone played a video game? Movies are all about mass appeal. I don't know how much people will be hyped about "Warcraft" in the title especially when they don't have a single clue about the game story?

If they make it too generic fantasy, Warcraft fans will be disappointed that it it's "not Warcraft enough"
    If they make it follow the Warcraft lore too much, the mainstream audience won't understand a thing.

You lose more than you win with video-game-turned-movie. That's why few studios ever do that anymore.

Pre-Blizcon: Fail
    Post Blizcon: Cant wait.

This is so much pretentious cynical drivel. If this was a cash in, the movie would have been produced and released around 2006 when WOW was actually at it's height in popularity and pop culture relevance in the United States. You are insulting so many artists and creators with your jaded generic pre manufactured mass produced opinion here, it's almost unfair that you get to enjoy the creations of anyone. There's a reason Blizzard has been sitting on this movie for almost a decade, they wanted to make sure this wasn't just another cash in. You are so wrong it's making the fabric of time and space bend a little. You're just a wrongy-McWrong pants and you're wrong, because you're wrong, and this citation proves it.
    Because there's absolutely no way that they're trying to make a "quality" film in order to make a franchise to get return customers, right?

Get a clue. I'm not saying they're going to make a shitty film, get money, and then run to the bank. Blizzard wants to earn trust in order to keep doing it and they've said as much. But the reality is that there's still certain inherent barriers in terms of the medium difference and you didn't address any of it.

There's no doubt in my mind that Blizzard and Jones are going to do everything in their power to make a "good" film, in the sense that they're going to go through the checklist of what people feel is required for it ("the acting was good, the effects looked 'cool'") in the same way that AAA-game releases since roughly 2006 just generally go through the motions to deliver on what a generic boxed good consumer expects.

But no one can explain to me for anything why they're making a Warcraft movie other than "because it would be cool." There is nothing the movie can do that an alternative medium the universe was built for can do better.

Pretentious is just another fucking word for "values I don't share" half the time. This is one of them. If this is cynical, it's because big budget media has become cynical.

I was extremely disappointed with the first Mortal Kombat, and I was 13 years old. They watered down everything cool about the story of Mortal Kombat 2, it was just plain watered down and cheap in places. I have a great chip on my shoulder for Paul Anderson and his movies.