Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    ever heard of 1 step forward and 2 steps back? Well this is 1 step forward and 3 miles back.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Revolutions

BATTLEMASTER (After 3.3.5 nerf) REVOLUTIONS REPORTING IN.
    Wielder of The Scepter of Shifting Sands, Hand of Ragnaros, and Shadowmourne. Bringer of 66 minute kings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosturn View Post
    I like that people don't get the joke
    me too I think most folks glazed over it and just responded.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xanderz View Post
    This. No one is reading the full post, and i dont even think he edited that part in.
    I didn't. This was a socialogical experiment to see when people see a provocative title, they have to run in here and make statements based on assumption. If they had read the entire post, there would be 3 pages of laughter and people mockingly bringing up other antiquated and nostalgic references

So in other words this thread is literally a troll attempt?

And no, no part of this is funny....

Deleted
    The sad thing is that there's actually a lot of people around who would be totally serious when writing such a list.

Data mining on the scale it is today has ruined any immersion that will truly be there. I can't hate cause I visit this site often and reading news excites me for whats to come.

But no seriously, they test raids on PTR even the last boss, Sites data mine everything and anything, and youtubers and streamers get beta invites hella early or right away and stream the fuck out of the game.

Sometimes when new stuff comes out I feel like iv seen it so much it's not exciting and sure not a surprise. Can't avoid this unless you live under a rock and want to be the only one out of the loop. Only ones who will get true imersion are completely new players that hopefully don't watch youtubers/streamers/friends play / or MMO champ.

EDIT: Your ideas seem very very annoying and not very immerse to be honest, I wouldn't mind something along the idea of an AQ event, I know my guild back in the day had NO idea it was comming that day and were super stoked even if it was crash city, but they have been a lot better lately with releases of big events, they could pull it off again.
    Last edited by BetrayedOf52; 2013-12-23 at 07:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosturn View Post
    I like that people don't get the joke
    I try to never underestimate the stupidity and nostalgia capable of coming from people on the internet. Particularly when it's posted by people like the OP.
    Look! Words!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    So in other words this thread is literally a troll attempt?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[6]
    Although my thread meets certain criteria according to the Wikki, it is not a troll thread. I was simply making a farce about immersion. Had people read everything including the last line in the OP, they would be joining me in the farce. As it stands, most of them trolled themselves. Personally, I miss every item on that list... and more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    I try to never underestimate the stupidity and nostalgia capable of coming from people on the internet. Particularly when it's posted by people like the OP.
    How do you mean "people like the OP"? Pretty prejudicial since you don't even know me.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    1. No. It doesn't add any immersion to need unnecessary bag slots filled, its just frustrating.
    2. See 1.
    3. You can still shoot a bow or fire a gun in melee combat, so dead zones make no sense.
    4. Dear god no. "YAY UPGRADE! Fuck, I haven't used an axe since like level 70! Time to go smack shit for 15 minutes for no reason!"
    5. Assuming food is inexpensive, which defeats any purpose of it, sure. (If meat can be bought in cities or looted off mobs there's no compelling gameplay, just makes the hunter have to watch something.)
    6. I'm fine with this, as long as they aren't incredibly annoying or require hours of playing just to get the key. AND as long as they made it easy to follow the quest without having to look up a guide or something.
    7. How often do you make a fire anyway? Also, they are trying to give people more bag space not less.
    8. See second part of 7. I don't really miss carrying around 200 Symbol of Kings (or whatever they were called for raid pally blessings).
    9. No. I agree with Blizzards new philosophy of "no flying in new content." If its old shit, I don't really want to have to run through it all. Playing SWTOR recently for leveling fun, I wouldn't have minded if WOW didn't have flying mounts, but Blizzard added them. Their mistake.
    10. Guess I don't remember this person because I'm Horde.
    11. In new end-game zones? Yeah, sure. No problem with that. While leveling? Eh... if they add a group finder, sure! Otherwise it would be shitty trying to find a group.
    12. I'm fine with that in any dungeon or raid.
    13. They already are going to be removed. How does that affect immersion, though?
    14. Not sure what you mean 1 at a time? 1 piece of ore? Cut gathering down by like 80%? You would just see more botters... can these not fail when gathering anymore? Also, how is it unrealistic that someone gets multiple leaves of an herb or multiple chunks of ore from gathering?
    15. How is that unrealistic and break immersion? IMO, disagree.
    16. No. Similar to ammo.
    17. Sure, I agree. The more class quests, the better. I did mine back in the day anyway.
    18. No, my 2nd toon is a druid and I will be honest, it was OP. Being a kitty in PVP had too many defensive options and it makes more sense to have specs split. They need to split out more specs/develop 4 specs for more classes such as some of the good ideas thrown around on forums.
    19. You mean locks? Sure, the more class quests the better. Helps you fel like you actually develop your character. Just don't make a level 10 warlock take 2 hours learning how to summon a voidwalker.
    20. NO, dear god no. One of the less redeeming qualities of SWTOR that has made me ache for the WOW xpac. It doesn't make sense, as a hero who has saved Azeroth's ass multiple times that I need someone to teach me to do things.
    21. No. See 20.
    22. No, you'll see longer queue times waiting for tanks and healers and its just punishing to everyone. Do you really want to have to set up your bars every single time you want to switch between pve and pvp, even as a pure? As a hybrid, it's even more annoying.
    23. Meh, I don't really mind either way. I actually like having more choice with this talent system. Before everything was simply cookie cutter. Oh... what am I going to take on this line for my pve spec? The +damage or the Blessing of Freedom removes stuns? At least this system lets you change playstyles much easier.
    24. Assuming mats aren't anything ridiculous or they don't have to level their own profession for competitive dps, sure.
    25. And... no. That's literally impossible. They would have to delete people's toons. Also, there is plenty of lore and immersion regarding at least blood elf paladins. Some of the Alliance shammies... meh, but they have to for gameplay purposes. Makes sense for draenei.

A lot of these requests don't really have much to do with immersion, but I get you want them back. Just a lot of them are rose-colored nostalgic requests that make me wonder if you even played the classes.

Edit: Oh. Didn't even read the asterisk. My fault for trying to multi-task read forums while on the phone. Lol. See what you did there.

Many those things are nothing to do with immersion.. They are just things that happened to be in the game when you enjoyed it more because the game was fresher not because it was more immersive whatever that even means.

As an example: "3. Ranged weapons will once again need to be ranged. a 10 yard dead zone will be re-implemented."

What's immersive about that ? Nothing. It's not immersive OR realistic. It's just a lame mechanic that was put into the game for no good reason.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Immersion to me is quite simple. Immersion = simulation.

Are you simulating the characteristic aspects of the role the player is suppose to be playing?
    E.g. If you are a dragon slayer, you slay dragons. Craft special dragon slaying weapons.

Of course you don't simulate everything,
    E.g. you don't simulate going to the gents/ladies.

In essences you simulate the unique defining aspects of the role the player is suppose to be in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    Convenience > Immersion. I'm playing a game, not living a second life. Maybe do this for RP servers.
    Anecdotal evidence here, but most RPers I know embraced the quality-of-life changes because they made the game less of a hassle, which meant more time could be spent RPing rather than, y'know, running around Dalaran looking for someone who sells Mammoth Cutters or spamming Trade for a tank with the key to H Mechanar.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    me too I think most folks glazed over it and just responded.
    Many of us got the joke.

But that doesn't mean there aren't things in the joke that I'd love to see returned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Many of us got the joke.

But that doesn't mean there aren't things in the joke that I'd love to see returned.
    I would love to see a lot of it brought back. It is part of the magic in TBC that drew me to WoW.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't. This was a socialogical experiment to see when people see a provocative title, they have to run in here and make statements based on assumption. If they had read the entire post, there would be 3 pages of laughter and people mockingly bringing up other antiquated and nostalgic references
    It doesn't help that you have posted other terrible ideas that people don't agree with. You can't really blame people. The only way to have done the experiment correctly would have been to start a new account for it so people would have no personal bias beyond hating mmo-c noobs. As to your premise, let's make all deaths permanent! That's like..so totally immersive because when you die, you die. All players that survive will be forced to livestream their first raid for our amusement. If you ever wanted to hear a raid leader rage, permadeath from a trash wipe!
    BAD WOLF

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, after some recent discussion, it would seem convenience is destroying immersion. So, I would suggest putting immersion back in the game. Just so we are clear, this is my personal opinion. I speak for no one other than myself, and do NOT believe this will ever be seen by Blizz since this is not their official forum. With that in mind, here are some conveniences which need to be removed in order to improve immersion and bring back the RPG feel to the game:

1. Hunters will now be asked to give up a bag slot in exchange for a quiver or ammo pouch.
    2. Ammunition will make its return.

3. Ranged weapons will once again need to be ranged. a 10 yard dead zone will be re-implemented.
    4. Weapon and unarmed skills will need to be raised separately once more.
    5. Hunter and Battle Pets will need to be fed to keep them happy and to prevent them from running away.
    6. Attunements and Keys will be added back into Heroics. If you do not have a key, or a party member with one, you are out of luck.
    7. Simple Wood and Flint & Tinder are once again needed to make fire.
    8. Spell reagents will be re-implemented
    9. Flight will be removed from Azeroth but remain in the newer territories to provide more old world immersion
    10. Samantha Swifthoof will be returned to the path in Stranglethorn Vale
    11. Certain quest mobs will be given their elite status back and will require a group to kill them.

12. Low level dungeons will get patrols once more who will respawn and can come up behind players without warning
    13. Guild perks will be removed
    14. Mining, Skinning, and Herbing all have a chance to fail when trying and will once again only give 1 item at a time up to a total of 3.
    15. All extra Auction Houses, Mailboxes, and Banks will be removed from Stormwind and Orgrimmar bringing them back to 1 each.
    16. Warlocks will now farm shards once more to provide a power base for certain spells.
    17. Paladins, Warlocks, Druids, and Shaman no longer get special animals and mounts automatically. There is once again a quest chain to accomplish these means.
    18. Druids will be reduced to 3 specs which will once again combine Guardian and Feral into the original Cat/Bear combo.
    19. Each class Pet will again require a quest to complete in order to learn how to summon their pet.
    20. Training is no longer automatic. You must once again visit your class trainer.
    21. Pet trainers will be included in the afore mentioned.

22. Dual specs will be removed as you can only really play one spec at a time.
    23. Original talent trees will be implemented and everyone will once again be able to tweak their class
    24. Rogues will again be making poisons and applying them as they learn them.
    25. Paladins will be removed from the Horde as Shaman will be removed from the Alliance. Too much class/faction homogenization.

Please feel free to add to this list. I'm sure there are plenty of immersive type items I am missing.

*Also, don't take this list too seriously. It was all in good fun. Mostly a farce to show how much things have improved.
    I bolded the changes i would like to see. I think the rest either don't make sense, aren't necessary, or are things the game is simply better without.
    Man, I've got bags under my eyes... BAGS OF MONEY!
    See ya later, peasants.

Praise The Sun!

I would suggest putting immersion back in the game.
    I could have sworn that we did away with Immers(e)us during the Siege of Orgrimmar, but it we're bringing it back I would like to point out that completing a certain quest line in Duskwood should spawn a level 30 elite mob (affectionately known as Stitches) in Duskwood's level 20 quest zone.
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearmyth View Post
    I bolded the changes i would like to see. I think the rest would make no sense and are unnecessary.
    Well, every one of these things existed in Burning Crusade. I would not mind having all of them back

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    I could have sworn that we did away with Immers(e)us during the Siege of Orgrimmar, but it we're bringing it back I would like to point out that completing a certain quest line in Duskwood should spawn a level 30 elite mob (affectionately known as Stitches) in Duskwood's level 20 quest zone.
    I miss the day when completing the quest set him loose on the road into Darkshire. Now, it just provides a solo-phase for a minute or so. People used to die in droves at the hands of Stitches the once lvl 35 elite.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, every one of these things existed in Burning Crusade. I would not mind having all of them back
    Joke or not, that fact that your thread grew as quickly as it did shows people do want immersion back - or don't ... - either way it's something people care about.

You can make the game very convenient if you strip away all the "dressing", all the simulation, but then it will cease to be an RPG and just be a "game".

I was okay with most of this until I read this:

15. All extra Auction Houses, Mailboxes, and Banks will be removed from Stormwind and Orgrimmar bringing them back to 1 each.

Seriously? You want to go back to the days of yelling at the AFKer to get off his stupid mount so that you can access the mailbox?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    I was okay with most of this until I read this:

Seriously? You want to go back to the days of yelling at the AFKer to get off his stupid mount so that you can access the mailbox?
    Did you read the entire OP? Including the last line?