Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    For one, the Pandaren are immediately hesitant and weary of both the Horde and Alliance. Hell, Taran Zhu, leader of their army (In a simplified nutshell) expresses open hostility toward us.

Second, Lei Shen wasn't put into place by Pandaren society.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post
    In Pandaria, the Wisest man would beat the strongest.

The wise man knows to control his emotions, the strong man lets them loose and gets engulfed by the sha.
    And yet who puts down the Sha? Certainly not the apparently wiser.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    And yet who puts down the Sha? Certainly not the apparently wiser.
    If the Alliance and Horde didn't arrive in Pandaria, the Sha wouldn't manifest. Once again, killing Sha is a way of cleaning up their own mess, not doing the Pandaren a "favor"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    If the Alliance and Horde didn't arrive in Pandaria, the Sha wouldn't manifest. Once again, killing Sha is a way of cleaning up their own mess, not doing the Pandaren a "favor"
    The Sha couldn't have manifest if the Pandaren had dealt with them instead of trying to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    And then would have been enslaved by the mogu again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    I noticed after looking at the game after a year from a distance how "british empire" the game is. First, the "superior invaders" go to an unexplored island (pandaria) and the natives while are at first a bit hesitant immediately recognize their superior amazing nature (yeah right, usually only a minority does it and those are the pawns/dictators of the empire).

Then you see things like Lei Shen "the evil dictator" that must be dethroned (see at Iraq's "Sadam Hussein" etc.) and the irony is those empires are who put those dictators up in their place in the first place.

It's like a copy of history for a video game, obviously from the perspective of anglosaxons/americans.
    Really, the only historic dictator you could think of was Saddam Hussein?

Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post
    In Pandaria, the Wisest man would beat the strongest.

The wise man knows to control his emotions, the strong man lets them loose and gets engulfed by the sha.
    Yet it is still the Alliance/Horde killing Shas.

Plus as it has been mentioned before Pandaren society was stagnant for ages, hiding the problems instead of confronting them. Similar to historical China which in its isolationism remained stagnant for ages, while upstart foreign powers grew stronger and more aggressive.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2013-12-25 at 01:15 PM.

Dunno, I always took it more like:

Pandaren: Good chinese rice farmer
    Mogu: Evil chinese royality
    Klaxxi: Evil japanese
    Yaungol: Evil mongol tribes

I mused the thought if the Mogu might represent china in general and the pandaren are more akin to tibet. Not sure blizzard would openly admit to such a representation though. Given that Lei Shen supposedly shares alot of simularities with the the first chinese emperor, it becomes less likely, though I guess not impossible, especially because the pandaren are, after all, a diffrent race, which in wow analogies often equates to another country.

Style of pandaria is obvious copy paste of china.

mop is a copy of ancient history?whaaat. hmm mogu and lei shen the first emperor of the mogu, had an army of statues, buildings with ancient china look. were have i Heard about this before?

oh yeah, The Terracotta Army or the "Terracotta Warriors and Horses", is a collection of terracotta sculptures depicting the armies of Qin Shi Huang, the first Emperor of China.

Its easy to draw parallels to many things with MoP to real world events, and most of them are probably true, but they are connected with events that occurred 100s or 1,000s of years ago. Not right now. They aren't trying to say a point about the current world with MoP, their inspiration is ancient China for sure and likely 19th century Asia as well.

I mean clearly the Yaungol are based off Mongolia for example.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    I don't recall the western world invading and occupying the far east, myself...

And also - yes, fiction can be, and often is inspired by history.
    I do, Iraq.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    The Sha couldn't have manifest if the Pandaren had dealt with them instead of trying to avoid it.
    You can't kill the Sha, they're manifestation of one's inner turmoils, they'd just regenerate over time; the only way you can do it is by perma killing Y'shaarj, which happens at the end of SoO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    I do, Iraq.
    FAR EAST, not Middle East. (tho I suppose it is far east by American standards).

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Superior invaders? The entire point of MoP is that the fucking natives are a hell of a lot wiser than we are.
    yeah that's why they need our help to defeat enemies they've been struggling with for how long was it now? thousands of years? and we sort that shit out overnight!

I like their wall too. oh yeah we love killing countless sentient beings unendingly. we're very wise.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Turmoill View Post
    You can't kill the Sha, they're manifestation of one's inner turmoils, they'd just regenerate over time; the only way you can do it is by perma killing Y'shaarj, which happens at the end of SoO.
    So you CAN perma kill them, which is the point.
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    I do, Iraq.
    That be Middle East.

Regardless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...laves_in_China
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_wars
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_Rebellion

Just refreshing your history.

Actually all the "small" Alliance/Horde bases, the Shrines etc, all strongly feel like the territorial concessions in China.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    So you CAN perma kill them, which is the point.
    My point was that they could only be perma killed by destroying their source, but not their physical form.

Quote Originally Posted by Turmoill View Post
    My point was that they could only be perma killed by destroying their source, but not their physical form.
    Which the pandaren never did, despite holding the vale for so long. The horde/alliance found and did.

We also conquered the 6 sha they were surpressing and overcame our initial issues there.

Yes, the only empire that ever existed is the british one.

Quote Originally Posted by mmokri View Post
    Style of pandaria is obvious copy paste of china.
    Style of wrath is obvious copy paste of sweden.