Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I burned out on them a few months ago, but planning to continue doing them since I've got a rediculous amount of max level pets.

They were fun when they first came out, but then it went downhill after you had to start using the "right" pets for trainer / legendary battles instead of your favourite pets. It turned into yet another grind for level 25 pets when the pet tournament was released.

I only battle pets to get more pets. I just love the collecting aspect of it. I don't particularly love battling pets at all, and I hate the Celestial Tournament. I recently got 75 pets to 25 just for the Singing Cricket, and I'm not leveling another pet for a while.

I like the implementation of pet battles, but I only want to get more pets, and more unique pets. I don't really care about much else within the pet battle system.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    142 pets at lvl 25. Yes I really like the pet battle feature even after leveling that many pets, though I did stop doing the celestial tournament once I got all 4 celestial pets. Best feature added in mop imo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    I have 592 uniques but only have 260 of them at level 25
    Ohh ONLY 260 lvl 25's...haha.

On topic:

I enjoy the pet battles and the collection, more so the collecting, not so much the levelling to be honest, it's a bit too grindy for something I currently treat as a side project I do for a change of pace every now and again, when I start going serious into it, then I think the levelling pace is actually fine.

Kinda sad that you constantly see the same combos of pets in PvP, but as soon as teams are worked out, that always happens, very hard to avoid, but still.

Over all, I think it's very well made and implemented, I found doing all the tamers was pretty easy apart from a few, the elemental spirits a step up from that, and then the legendaries a step higher, I still need four legendaries for the quest I believe, so it's good there is difficulty to it, and you are able to counter the difficulty by collecting specific pets, be it with gold, farming, auction house, camping, etc, so it's not like you need to run a raid for a year to get that one thing which is nice.

I think after reading this thread I'm going to take it a bit more serious now I've got most of 5.4 done and dusted .

One thing I think though, is the heal is on too long a cooldown at 8 (iirc) minutes, especially whilst levelling pets, sure you have bandages but it's not like you can just go buy a stack, 5-6 minutes I'd prefer, just me though.

Certainly isn't wasted development time at all, I believe its the UI team any way isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    I don't think you knew what the dance studio was. It never got implemented therefore could never be comparable to pet battles.
    I know exactly what the Dance Studio was, and I remember seeing threads before MoP released claiming that Pet Battles would never see the light of day.

So I think what I said was entirely legitimate. I was snidely remarking about the fact that some people once thought a feature that turned out to be massively popular would never be implemented.

So no, pet battles could not be compared to the Dance Studio, because, as was my point, pet battles were actually implemented, despite pre-MoP naysayers thinking it wouldn't.

See also: aerial dog-fighting, Path of the Titans

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    Do we have statistics about people that went 25lvl and keep enjoying it? I don't mean achievement hoarders, those will do it even if they hate their life.
    You are wrong actually. I stopped collecting achievements instead. I've never played even one single pokemon game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    here's my statistics: I love everything about pet battles except that fucking celestial tournament that doesn't let me heal. 100% of the checking factss love pet battles.
    Agreed on that, I enjoy them in general, but that damned tournament is a pain in the ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like collecting all the pets and such. I have three max-level pets, and that's enough to capture any rare ones.

But it's too much of a chore to me to level them and find rares to level with the right breed and all that stuff. I'll stick to collecting.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I know I enjoy them. I take them slow, I only just finished off the pandaren trainers and got my safari hat and I've been doing them since beta. It's something I do randomly and for fun, putting it in between dailies or while leveling a new alt.

Deleted
    Nope. No one is doing it, really. They just farm the achievs and crap and then forget about it. You won't be seeing anyone pet dueling outside SW if that's what you wanted to know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    Do we have statistics about people that went 25lvl and keep enjoying it? I don't mean achievement hoarders, those will do it even if they hate their life.
    they do it BECAUSE they hate their life... they only love their achievements
    (guilty of farming achievement points!)

10+ Year Old Account
    I love pet battles, but I haven't done the celes tournament. I beat Timmy every day, but not the tournament. I think I think I need a lot of time to do it? Or I'm nervous that I'm not as good as I think I am at it? Or my pet battle add on broke and erased the 40 teams I had setup... addons breaking really hurts my involvement in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Toiran View Post
    Ohh ONLY 260 lvl 25's...haha.
    LOL ok ok I know thats a lot to some people But some folks I know have waaaay more levelled, so I'm a bit of a slacker in their eyes hehe.

OT: I see some people saying they dislike the celestial tournament, and I can certainly understand that, especially if they don't have a large collection of pets levelled to max level, even having the amount of level 25's I do, it took a bit of time to nail my teams down so that I can one shot the whole thing, but I really enjoyed the challenge of it, although PVP battles I did 250 pvp wins then got bored with it, pvp just not my thing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord Booty View Post
    I love pet battles, but I haven't done the celes tournament. I beat Timmy every day, but not the tournament. I think I think I need a lot of time to do it? Or I'm nervous that I'm not as good as I think I am at it? Or my pet battle add on broke and erased the 40 teams I had setup... addons breaking really hurts my involvement in the game.
    Yeah I agree they really need to implement the pet battle party addon into the game, I lost my whole team set up for all pandaria tamers and celestials once and now have them all backed up just incase

Really being able to save your teams is one thing that I feel would be worth them implementing.

I like collecting pets. I love that there are so many. I actively dislike the actual battles. They are too predictable and are all about the setups.

Pet *battles* are one of the most boring things that exist in this game. They are worse than archaeology, seriously.

Probably the reason why pet battles are such a complete success is that they're completely optional and people can immerse themselves as much or as little as they want. You can play the game without ever collecting a single pet or doing a single pet battle if you want, and you're missing nothing if it doesn't interest you. Or you can go deep and aim for all the achievements. Or you can collect and ignore PvP battling altogether.

Pokemon is mostly about collecting and breeding rather than battling, and the devs here are planning to implement something similar to pokemon's breeding system, adding another layer of complexity and immersion for people if they like. The sad thing is that if they do it right, WoW will have a minigame within it which is essentially everything pokemon is but with your WoW pets instead. Then all they need to do is create a mobile version and they can guarantee WoW will run for another 10+ years based off it alone.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wanted to like them but they aren't fun. If they wanted to ripoff pokemon I wish they woulda went all in.

Deleted
    I like pet battles, but high level fights against bosses and the tournament are too much for me to bother.
    I like to level different pets to vary the fun, but I can't be arsed to minmax or do it for too long at a time.
    So I'm a casual trainer, and that's enough for me ^^

There's a lot of benefit from them. Best way to get lesser charms imo, Xperia for your pet and you at the same time, flawless or other battle stones, the bags from quests. Plus once you pick up on some strategies it becomes less painful.

Deleted
    havent tried a single pet battle... perhaps i try it later tonight.