Is there any guide that covers moonkin DoTs a bit more in-depth?

I'm talking about both single-target and multidot situations. In case there isn't any, I'd like to ask one of you, more experienced fellas to help me:

Right now what I'm doing, is I just dot up the target and refresh the dots when they fall off, when they fall off close to each other, I cast the non-eclipsed one first. I know you can do it more efficiently, the problem is, I'm not sure how.

1. Should I wait few seconds with refreshing my dot (letting it fall off) if I'm about to hit eclipse?
    2. Should I refresh dots at some point (e.g eclipse?, CA?), even though there is some duration left?
    3. When I'm multidotting, should I use only the eclipsed dot, or both? Or maybe I should dot everything with eclipsed one and THEN non-eclipsed one? Should I use all of my SS procs during multidot?

Would be grateful if someone could answer these questions. Additional tips about dots are more than welcome. Thank you in advance.

Mak

Quote Originally Posted by Sephrie View Post
    1. Should I wait few seconds with refreshing my dot (letting it fall off) if I'm about to hit eclipse?
    Depends what Eclipse, if you are say 2 casts off a Lunar Eclipse and Moonfire falls off then wait until you hit an Eclipse, however if you are 2 casts off a Lunar Eclipse and Sunfire is going to fall off you should refresh it as normal providing NG is still up, if it isn't then wait until you hit the Eclipse.

2. Should I refresh dots at some point (e.g eclipse?, CA?), even though there is some duration left?
    Always refresh your DoTs as soon as entering CA. With Eclipses you should be aiming to refresh your DoTs once per Eclipse. You should wait until under 2 seconds are left on the DoT before you refresh it. In cases of good crit RNG you may not want to refresh the non-eclipsed DoT, usually if there are going to be 5 or more seconds left on the non-eclipsed DoT when leaving the Eclipse I won't refresh it.
    3. When I'm multidotting, should I use only the eclipsed dot, or both? Or maybe I should dot everything with eclipsed one and THEN non-eclipsed one? Should I use all of my SS procs during multidot?
    Follow this priority list for Multi-dotting:

Starsurge
    1 Eclipsed DoT
    1 non-eclipsed DoT
    2 Eclipsed DoTs
    2 non-eclipsed DoTs
    Eclipsed DoT on everything
    Uneclipsed DoT on everything
    Wrath/Starfire

Keep in mind that you only want to be using DoTs that are buffed by NG. As you also want to keep good uptime on NG it may not be wise to maintain DoTs on all targets while you cycle to the next Eclipse. Generally speaking your NG uptime on a fight like Protectors should only be slightly lower than on a fight like Malkorok or Iron Juggernauts with slight movement.

For a fight like Galakras how well a Boomkin can do depends a lot on their raid's DPS. Having extra time to Astral Communion to the right spot between groups is essential to doing the most DPS and as most waves of mobs will die in under 20-30 seconds majority of your damage should be coming from DoTs and Starsurge.
    Last edited by Glurp; 2013-12-29 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post

Starsurge
    1 Eclipsed DoT
    1 non-eclipsed DoT
    2 Eclipsed DoTs
    2 non-eclipsed DoTs
    Wrath/Starfire

I am very confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybb View Post
    I am very confused.
    Starsurge is your top priority, you then want to make sure you have Sunfire and Moonfire up on 1 target, after that have Sunfire and Moonfire up on 2 targets, after that just apply your Eclipsed DoT to every mob and after that apply your non-eclipsed DoT to every mob.

Depends what Eclipse, if you are say 2 casts off a Lunar Eclipse and Moonfire falls off then wait until you hit an Eclipse, however if you are 2 casts off a Lunar Eclipse and Sunfire is going to fall off you should refresh it as normal providing NG is still up, if it isn't then wait until you hit the Eclipse.

Always refresh your DoTs as soon as entering CA. With Eclipses you should be aiming to refresh your DoTs once per Eclipse. You should wait until under 2 seconds are left on the DoT before you refresh it. In cases of good crit RNG you may not want to refresh the non-eclipsed DoT, usually if there are going to be 5 or more seconds left on the non-eclipsed DoT when leaving the Eclipse I won't refresh it.

Starsurge
    1 Eclipsed DoT
    1 non-eclipsed DoT
    2 Eclipsed DoTs
    2 non-eclipsed DoTs
    Wrath/Starfire

Keep in mind that you only want to be using DoTs that are buffed by NG. As you also want to keep good uptime on NG it may not be wise to maintain DoTs on all targets while you cycle to the next Eclipse. Generally speaking your NG uptime on a fight like Protectors should only be slightly lower than on a fight like Malkorok or Iron Juggernauts with slight movement.

For a fight like Galakras how well a Boomkin can do depends a lot on their raid's DPS. Having extra time to Astral Communion to the right spot between groups is essential to doing the most DPS and as most waves of mobs will die in under 20-30 seconds majority of your damage should be coming from DoTs and Starsurge.
    Thank you very much.

Starsurge is your top priority, you then want to make sure you have Sunfire and Moonfire up on 1 target, after that have Sunfire and Moonfire up on 2 targets, after that just apply your Eclipsed DoT to every mob and after that apply your non-eclipsed DoT to every mob.
    After ~4 targets you won't even want to care about non-eclipsed dot past 2 targets if you care about NG uptime.. should be getting decent enough procs for SS. Also it should be shooting stars > 1 set of dots > starsurge.. which is more a minor technicality at least at higher gear levels (since most of the time the spell will be on CD or you'll have a proc)
    Last edited by boomkinhero; 2013-12-30 at 01:48 PM.