Hellscream's War Staff Question for Mages vs ....

I just got Hellscream's War Staff as a frost mage. When put into the item comparison tool there seems to be no difference between my upgraded main hand - immaculatley preserved wand and juggernauts power core OH. Is there something I am missing or should I just shove this in the bank until WOD?

You are leaving out a loooot of information here, what quality are the items? normal heroic? flex? if they are the same it is preferred MH and OH > 2h

Not sure what you are looking at but assuming equal ilvl of both the 1h/offhand versus the staff. The 1h/offhand will always be better then the staff as 2 enchants are better then one.

Keep the staff for alts and leveling to level 100 as it is an heirloom and it will start to scale up as you level. For current raid content, I suppose the heirloom offhand is OK, but the staff isn't that great.

Its fine for monks and disc priests.

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty sure these days none of the casters care about extra 160 (?) int from offhand enchant as secondary stats are far superior , spellpower matters, but assuming same ilvl , pick one that gives you more of secondary stats you desire, simple.

Deleted
    1h/OH is generally better than a 2h when they're the same ilvl. Either sim your character with different weapons or add every stat together to see which you gain more from. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    pretty sure these days none of the casters care about extra 160 (?) int from offhand enchant as secondary stats are far superior , spellpower matters, but assuming same ilvl , pick one that gives you more of secondary stats you desire, simple.
    This is a very silly comment. 160 int is a very nice bonus. You'd need a 5-6 higher ilvl or something like that to get more secondaries from a 2h and by that point, the int/sp gain is huge compared to using a 1h/oh.

So no, you should definitely not only look at secondaries.

Assuming normal mode, it's 54 intellect + 19 secondary + 3 spellpower (MH/OH) VS 47 stamina (Staff)
    Pretty obvious winner here.

Unless they bring back the staff only enchant like in wrath I don't see any reason to use a staff except higher ilvl.

Deleted
    Typically (not the case this tier) a staff will have more secondary stats on it per iLvl than a MH/OH Combo, whilst the MH/OH Combo will have more Int. Scaling on iLvl this tier has changed that this tier, so MH/OH Combos are better for the same iLvl.

Quote Originally Posted by Henzington View Post
    Unless they bring back the staff only enchant like in wrath I don't see any reason to use a staff except higher ilvl.
    Last Tier (for Arcane, at least) the Staff off Twin Consorts was better at the same iLvl than any MH/OH Combo available, and was BiS. If there's a Staff with good secondaries on it (ie this tier would be Mastery/Haste) it definitely has the potential to outweigh MH/OH Combos. Sadly, all the staves this tier are Mastery/Crit, and because Haste is so strong and there are MH/OH Combos offering a lot of Haste/Mastery, MH/OH pulls ahead.
    Last edited by mmoc7cd3c912a5; 2014-01-01 at 11:39 AM.

For frost considering you have crit mh/oh and war staff is crit also both are pretty bad up the scale but MH/OH is stronger assuming same ilvl for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equim View Post
    I really don't see anything wrong with playing what you enjoy. Be it Frost, Fire, Arcane or Hello Kitty Island Adventure.