Poll: Would you favor removing all the racials from the game ?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I mean, it's ridiculous, it doesn't bring any gameplay to the game, it just makes you have to chose between optimisation and personal taste.
    It's not because the racials add a nice touch to the races. There is also no need for 99% of players to choose a certain race because of optimisation.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Is that so? Queue even more QQ threads on how "The game is much homogenized" and "Blizzard is greedy".

I chose none of my characters based on racials. I chose them based on looks and the classes they can be. I that way, you already do not speak for me.
    Perhaps he does not speak for you, but not everyone is willing to ignore performance for the sake of personal aesthetics.

There are certain race/class combinations I will never play, even though I like them stylistically, because I cannot justify to myself willingly sacrificing potential performance. I love BE hunter, for instance, but couldn't justify giving up the power of troll (Berserking + Bow Spec) or orc (Blood Fury + Command).

I'm of the opinion that racials should either be vastly different, or not racial at all.
    Option 1) Similar to old priest racial spells, what race you are has more effect than a few random abilities, it actually changes how the classes play to the point where your choice of race is also a choice of combat style.
    Option 2) At character creation, you choose a race, and either there are no racial abilities or you also get to choose which "racials" you want (in this case, they wouldn't be racials, but character perks you set at character creation.

Having racials that offer combat bonuses without modifying gameplay just means that anyone who actually cares about how well they do has to choose between style and performance.

(And before you respond with the "it's not that much of a difference argument", let's look at Worgen Moonkin vs. Night Elf Moonkin. Night Elf racials contribute nothing to Moonkin dps, Worgen racials contribute 1% crit. At level 90, 1% crit = 600 crit rating, almost 2 full gems worth of secondary stats. Would you willingly leave two empty sockets in your gear before going into a raid? If not, then you care enough about your stats to care about the difference in power you'd gain by being a Worgen instead of being a Night Elf.)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in favour of only having cosmetic racials.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, let's remove racials....
    While we're at it, let's remove all races but one, and remove all classes too.
    Instead let's have one race, one class, have 5 talent trees, so everyone can spec as healer, ranged dps, melee dps, tank and one for PVP..
    After all, who needs all that crappy diversity.

Oh wait.... Even sarcasm cannot make it sound more convincing to remove everything that's unique to classes and races.
    Leave the damn racials alone. Leave everything that distincts one class from the other, one race from the other.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Remove all current combat oriented on use racials, keep passive racials, and give everyone EMFHS.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafir View Post
    I think the bigger problem is people who would rather roleplay than play efficiently can't stand being called on their shit.
    I think you just called the people who roleplay in a roleplaying game "shit."

Deleted
    I'd much rather have them be unbalanced than not have them at all. I'm glad they are gonna balance them though.

Perhaps, this is where sub races come into play? they're just re skinning work like im pretty sure they are, then maybe the different sub-races could provide the different racial bonuses. While there are more subraces for some than for others, this could at least provide a slight variation.

i.e. Frostwolf Clan Orc gets pet dmg and all orcs get hardiness.

This at least provides more variables.

Dumbest idea ever. The amount of unbalancing they do compared to other aspects of the game that could be tweaked is negligible.

Nah, they should make give each race a month of the year in which they are much more powerful than all other options in order to really really milk those minmaxers.

Deleted
    I'd rather have them as cosmetics and utilities.
    Like the worgen one in which you change forms and the goblin rocket jump.
    The small buffs like blood lust and berserk are racials I don't really mind, but I really dislike the passive racials.

But that is just my opinion, I wouldn't mind if they stayed as they are.
    Last edited by mmoc42c1468a98; 2014-01-03 at 10:44 AM.

Deleted
    We don't need the game to be any more dumbed down than it is already.

Racials bring something good to WoW imo. Still I voted that they remove racials. Why? Faction PvP imbalance. If they could balance it, sure. But it has been almost 10 years now. No balance to be found. So yes remove them or make those racials specific for professions instead. Not that they can make better stuff but perhaps levels a bit quicker, just like +10 enchanting etc.

People who want racials the way they are are just looking for get an edge over another player. And I think that is bad game design.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Don't twist my words like you just ruined my entire point, you know that I meant it adds nothing positive to the game. Outside of raiding, for PvP the same races become played across the board and it causes entire servers and factions to become focal points of game activity. Not to mention so many players just end up picking a race for better racials and not because they enjoy the race itself which detracts from the overall game experience.

Everyone fine with racials are people who just don't give a shit (which is fine) or people who think you can't change this sacred part of the game which is stupid and is not a good enough case for them not to be changed into a type of cosmetic perk.

True, I was kinda teasing you but I still don't agree and I still don't see the big issue here. For high end PvE, it really doesn't matter all that much. Perhaps for guilds like Paragon, Method and Blood Legion but for the rest of us, it simply doesn't matter. As I told you, the racials haven't been the reason my own guild killed Heroic Garrosh weeks ago. Cause the benefit is minor in the grand scheme. Sure, trolls get a bit more dps via their Haste racial. But could the same dps be gained by perfect game play? Of course it could.

About PvP, I see a more unfair playing field when it comes to PvP. Yet I'm sure that the top PvP'ers could still get their high ratings, without playing Human/Undead/Orc.

So now I will ask you the same, you asked me. Don't twist my words and make it sound like, I don't give a shit about the game. I just don't agree with you and if people truly believe they would have progressed further with better/different racials, I dare them to link some logs and I'm sure we could find several reasons to why they're wiping on a specific boss.

Racials should only be for giggles, fun and flavor.

The Undead long-breath-racial is exactly the kind of thing they should all be. Functionally a little fun and neat, but doesn't genuinely affect any real gameplay/combat aside from the most bizarre situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Salystra View Post
    Even before every man for itself HUMAN was the most picked ally race, it had nothing to do with any form of racial at that time but the fact they were closest to real person imo and for the most part what "kids" wanted their first char to be. Whereas troll/undead was always picked due to their racials.

Racials should be flavour over substance and i'd be up for racial mounts etc to differentiate.
    They didn't have 1/3 of all arena representation till EMFH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Imo the reason humans were picked most because everything was pretty close and maybe a more logical starter area. Not sure ofc. I mean it was a real bad ass journey to roll a Nelf and then to move him to Iron Forge.

Hmmm, not sure if I would favour it, at the momment I do not really mind it eitherway.
    I play the race I want, and mostly it's for the for the cosmetic/races/look/faction. I see the racials just as a bonus.
    Then again, having racials does make make a diffrent between the races.

But thats the charm of it aswell, havning some diffrent between the races. But it's sad that
    a player must feel forced too play a specefic race only becouse of having that racials. And
    to not play what he or she really want.

So this could be an idéa!

10+ Year Old Account
    It annoys me when games don't have some sort of racial differences outside of cosmetic. I mean, there is no way a night elf is as strong as an Orc, outside of rare instances. On the flip side, an Orc should never be as intelligence as a Night Elf etc etc etc. I don't see the problem. Make them realistic, make them important.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord Booty View Post
    It annoys me when games don't have some sort of racial differences outside of cosmetic. I mean, there is no way a night elf is as strong as an Orc, outside of rare instances. On the flip side, an Orc should never be as intelligence as a Night Elf etc etc etc. I don't see the problem. Make them realistic, make them important.
    That's why I play pathfinder, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."