Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    This topic again. Guns don't scare me because in the UK we're not obsessed with killing people so we don't see guns unless we actively seek out sporting/shooting events. I respect guns whenever I am in their vicinity, the same can't be said of most Americans who brazenly wander around with them or outright brag about owning 15 of them. It's a pathetic obsession.
    No, because your people in UK can't handle them properly that's why your government has banned them, you would shoot yourselfs to death till there aren't anymore people in that country.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    So this is an issue of emasculation then. You've been castrated once and now you want to kill a man. Had you had a gun when you had been robbed at gunpoint, what would you have done? You would either be dead or you would have made someone dead. Both realities I would rather not experience.

The problem with gun owners is that they're not limited to using their guns to defend themselves during robberies. Instead we have millions of idiots with "instant death finger" everywhere they please.
    You explained it so well Vizzle
    TBC syndrome, is the worst mental disorder in these days.

Because say I lived in the US and either a. got into a fight for some reason or b. was in the wrong place at the wrong time. If I got into a fight with someone that has a gun then I'd be dead, same goes if I get caught at the wrong place at the wrong time, say a mall shooting or something. If it was a guy with a knife or a rock or a pillow or a plastic bag I would have infinitely better chances of survival. It's ridiculously easy to accidentally discharge a gun, hell it's "easy" to just point at someone and shoot. Guns are something to respect, I'm glad that gun ownership is illegal without a license here in Australia.

Pro gun or anti gun you gotta look at the facts, there is a reason all those school/mall/whatever shootings happen in the US, guns are plentiful and ridiculously easy to obtain.
    Last edited by Evil Inside; 2014-01-05 at 10:17 AM.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by hordeslayer View Post
    No, because your people in UK can't handle them properly that's why your government has banned them, you would shoot yourselfs to death till there aren't anymore people in that country.
    I don't think America is handling it very well either, land of the school shootings.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    The thought that more guns = more crime is false. If that was true, how do you explain this?

Never ever made that correlation in any of my posts because that would be stupid.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2014-01-05 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurydemus View Post
    The original post isn't a pro-/anti-gun thread in any case.
    I was getting at the fact low training doesn't mean much. Hell, it curbed some of the nobles somewhat because the peasant archers were such a prominent force, so they werent allowed to be too cheeky. Note the differences between the end results of the English and French peasant riots of the 1300s.

Same principle with the second amendment. Turns out the state gets a wee bit cautious when the civilians can fight back.

Not handling them and banning them > not handling and not banning them

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think America is handling it very well either, land of the school shootings.
    I think UK or any other European country would handle it worse due to the lack of gun handling education and a low population and lack of self awareness to guns when being raised with the mindset to not worry about being shot with said guns banned in those European countries.

Like lamb to the slaughter.
    Last edited by want my Slimjim; 2014-01-05 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    The thought that more guns = more crime is false. If that was true, how do you explain this?
    http://www.vcdl.org/sites/default/fi...s_vs_Crime.jpg

Um. You do realise that you answered your own question in posting the graph, right?

Anyway, here's a graph showing Australia's statistics. Controls and buybacks on automatic and semi-automatic weapons happened in 1996. Take from it what you will.

http://www.aic.gov.au/media_library/...cfi/cfi066.gif
    Last edited by Delekii; 2014-01-05 at 10:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty sure people arent affraid of guns, but of stupid untrained people with guns. when you can go to shop and buy a gun like its a bag of candies, without any proper training and psychic evaluation, its a problem.

I think UK or any other European country would handle it worse due to the lack of gun handling education and a low population.
    Good thing that's not something we have to test, because those countries had the foresight not to have to deal with it in the first place. You seriously want to say "The UK would probably have more kids killed than us if they had guns!" instead of saying "Why do we have so many kids killed?" Death toll shouldn't be something you hope stays down but something you make sure doesn't go up in the first place.

Fucking gun nuts. All of you would probably be just like this man. I wonder why these stories are most common in the US.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2014-01-05 at 10:26 AM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I think UK or any other European country would handle it worse due to the lack of gun handling education and a low population and lack of self awareness to guns when being raised with the mindset to not worry about being shot with said guns banned in those European countries.

But well, since we do ban guns and don't need your "gun handling education" we are still better off than you. Thank you for proving/admitting our system is better.

I think UK or any other European country would handle it worse due to the lack of gun handling education and a low population.
    Well good thing guns are banned there isnt it? I mean, meaningless loss of life is a bad thing, no?

And thats a pretty bad arguement isnt it? "Sure we handle it pretty bad, but if you guys tried it, youd be much worse at it than us". Isn't being the top of being bad at "it" now enough to make you want to change?

Deleted
    Because you can't run from a bullet, nor can you dodge it. (unlike rocks or even arrows)

Because you can't suffocate someone with a pillow/plastic bag from 10 meters. Stabbing from afar doesn't work either.

Because EVERYONE (in the US) has one, even the people who are nuts. (Lucky for me I live in Europe)

Let's be honest: guns, like the death sentence (but that's another story), have no deterrent effect whatsoever. It just means that people who break in your house have guns with them as well. You can't dodge a bullet, so you likely wouldn't want to engage in a firefight in your living room. If they'd know nearly no one has a gun in their home, they'll come unarmed (even more when guns are entirely illegal, because owning one adds to your time in jail when you get caught) and, they might just push you aside when you find them in your house, instead of shooting you.

When I look at the number of school shootings in the US, and compare them with Europe, I'm glad most guns are Illegal here. Yes, criminals will find a way to get guns anyway, but at least the chance that a 14 year old kid takes his dad's gun to school and murders his classmates is WAY smaller, because most people don't have guns in their home. Can he stab his classmates instead? Of course. Can he kill as many as he could have killed with a gun? Not even close.

You run around with guns if you want, have fun. I've enough reasons to be afraid of them.

Deleted
    Deadliness really. I am not afraid of guns, because here they are illegal to have without a permission. I would be afraid of them in America, because they are much easier to get your hands on, that is the problem in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heineken View Post
    Yes, they're lethal. We know this. But so are knives, rocks, plastic bags, pillows and, in some movies...
    Gun is used for one single purpose - to kill people. Unlike knives, rocks, plastic bags.
    There is no reason to have one. For every gun bought to "protect yourself" will be a gun bought to rob or kill someone.

But I have a strange feeling that you are american and won't understand it anyway.

Deleted
    Yes, they're lethal. We know this. But so are knives, rocks, plastic bags, pillows and, in some movies...
    Very bad comparison. If someone threatens you with a knife or rock, you can run and be relatively safe because it's a high chance the person will miss you, or if it hits you it won't be lethal. Guns on the other hand kill you from afar.
    As for the security of yourself, you idea is in theory good, but given the fact that the US has the most deaths by shootings it means that the reality is way different.
    A proper solution would not be banning of guns, but rather impose better tests to ensure the buyer of the gun is not some phycho who's about to go on a killing spree ( which imho, happens more often in the US than I see murders in my country )

ps: and please, enough with the government invading your house. If they really want to, you can have a tank and it won't help you shit. Don't you see they're already in your house? What do you think the NSA is doing?

Good thing that's not something we have to test, because those countries had the foresight not to have to deal with it in the first place. You seriously want to say "The UK would probably have more kids killed than us if they had guns!" instead of saying "Why do we have so many kids killed?"
    Muh chilluns. Pools kill more kids every year, at a certain point you can make the world only so safe

We should be teaching people how to protect themselves while advocating responsible ownership of firearms.
    People are afraid of guns because of irresponsible people owning them. It's not the same as an arrow. If it were, then there would be more arrow related assaults and accidents.

it's an inanimate object
    Whose primary function, by design, is to injure and kill things.

I think it basically comes down to the fact that people are so willing to trade away any sense of freedom in the name of a false security.
    False. It's that people are willing to set up some reasonable regulations in order to prevent preventable accidents and crime without infringing on others' rights to protect themselves.

It's irresponsible, juvenile and at the end of the day, stupidity.
    Says the guy who compares the lethality of guns to pillows.

Such Ignorance, it burns!!