Thread: Core Parking

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Core Parking

Well, it's that time again when I see posts regarding something and realize... I have little to no clue as to what something is.

Core Parking.

As far as I understand it, it has to do with how Windows manages cores being active, and sometimes gets a bit too zealous, leaving cores disabled when it could be using them more efficiently.

Thats... about as far as I understand it. Modifying that info requires editing power profile settings (?)

My question is this.

I often see Core Parking as the suggested culprit of poor game performance. Given that I've not modified my settings to my system, why am I not experiencing problems, while other people (often with better systems) are? I guess I'm wondering if Core Parking is a sort of red herring issue, or maybe I just don't understand it clearly enough.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    Very few PC games are optimised to make use of more than two cores anyway, so Core Parking is unlikely to be a huge issue.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Task Manger > CPU > Open Resource Manager > Look @ each CPU and see if it says "parked"

Core parking is normally not a problem on a fairly new computer but sometimes it can go wrong and cause some performance issues.

http://bitsum.com/about_cpu_core_parking.php
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Core parking is normally not a problem on a fairly new computer but sometimes it can go wrong and cause some performance issues.

http://bitsum.com/about_cpu_core_parking.php
    that is a nice program, I just ran it and all is flickering green.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I often see Core Parking as the suggested culprit of poor game performance. Given that I've not modified my settings to my system, why am I not experiencing problems, while other people (often with better systems) are? I guess I'm wondering if Core Parking is a sort of red herring issue, or maybe I just don't understand it clearly enough.
    people lie, and/or are dumb, my best example are the people claiming their alienware is getting 200 FPS on ultra when my system is crawling along at 45 (timeless isle launch, locked server)

core parking is a hold over, and is not needed on anything since vista, essentially you could lock a process to only use a certain core, this was useful on dual cores so that you could put something like a render on core1 and everything else on core0

its not needed anymore simple because SMP kernels are much more mature and handle hundreds to thousands of threads without a problem, parking a process (and subsequently all its threads and handles) on a single core will in fact reduce performance on modern computers

it still shows up from time to time when people do some digging for ways to improve performance without spending money

10+ Year Old Account
    but sometimes it can go wrong and cause some performance issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    it still shows up from time to time when people do some digging for ways to improve performance without spending money
    See, that's the issue. I'm talking about people with 3570K+ CPU's having massive FPS issues. How exactly does it 'sometimes go wrong', is it a problem with windows services? Wouldnt setting to default fix the issue (rather than modifying it manually).

I'm just confused as to why something that works in its default state would cause problems and require modification.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to do some tests with my rig and core parking, can anyone suggest a software for that?
    PM me weird stuff :3

10+ Year Old Account
    See, that's the issue. I'm talking about people with 3570K+ CPU's having massive FPS issues. How exactly does it 'sometimes go wrong', is it a problem with windows services? Wouldnt setting to default fix the issue (rather than modifying it manually).

I'm just confused as to why something that works in its default state would cause problems and require modification.
    most gaming and enthusiast boards default to C6 off in the bios, which eliminates the sleep status of cores, but it doesn't stop people from parking threads on a core, or at least trying to

i think part of the problem is that people simply expect too much from a new computer, ie "wow is 10 years old, you can run ultra on a potato" not realizing the limitations of the way the engine works

another part is the standard stuff, win7, dx11 game, youtube running with flash hardware acceleration on, etc

iirc the unpack app modifies registers, fixing issue when sometimes all cores doesnt wake up when needed causing bad performance. I have no idea how it works exactlly, but considering it is software based i believe it can randomly get messed up like every other drivers or something and cause issues.

I have 3570K without issues, but the race for maximum performance in BF4 in its early unoptimized state made me use it and never look back. I think the placebo effect is strong in this one lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, so I ran tests and I got clear results. When parking was enabled 4 cores were parked all the time (during testing).
    Used Shrine to Binan village flightpath as a test.

Single WoW:
    From Shrine:
    Unprk Avg: 54.842- Min: 30 - Max: 88
    Parked Avg: 57.884 - Min: 37 - Max: 87

To Shrine:
    Unprk Avg: 51.279 - Min: 31 - Max: 87
    Parked Avg: 53.891 - Min: 31 - Max: 93

Dual WoW:
    From Shrine:
    Unprk Avg: 34.412 - Min: 19 - Max: 56
    Parked Avg: 29.453 - Min: 18 - Max: 51
    To Shrine:
    Unprk Avg: 33.979 - Min: 19 - Max: 56
    Parked Avg: 29.004 - Min: 16 - Max: 45

We see clear FPS increase with 4 cores parked on single instance of WoW, but when you run two WoW's, disabling parking increases performance.

My theory behind that: when you have parked cores, single threaded applications get a boost and when you unpark cores, multithreading gets a boost.
    In my opinion core parking is nice feature for single threaded applications, but due to some 'bug' or oversight, the cores don't get unparked efficiently. For example if I didn't have 4 cores parked running double WoW I would have perfect system (I know I'm exagerrating, but bare with me).

My conclusion: if you have a fast CPU it's more efficient to let the thread 'wait for it's turn' than 'waste resources' assigning it to another core. In other words, threads get processed faster without switching load to other cores. But only until certain amount, as you can see from the test.

It's only my speculations though.

I run i7-4771 and I was using integrated GPU, so it's all CPU. It might be more accurate results without GPU or on the contrary it might skew results.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Krasuss View Post
    iirc the unpack app modifies registers, fixing issue when sometimes all cores doesnt wake up when needed causing bad performance. I have no idea how it works exactlly, but considering it is software based i believe it can randomly get messed up like every other drivers or something and cause issues.
    You can only turn it on or off, you can't adjust when the cores get parked/unparked.
    You can adjust the max/min amount of cores parked (you can simulate less cores on your CPU this way also).
    Last edited by Cyrops; 2014-01-08 at 06:50 PM.

How many times did you run those test? Also you seem to have swapped the numbers or something since single WoW had better performance in unparked mode and dual had better in parked mode.

Most of the difference could probably be summed down to margin of error as well.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    How many times did you run those test? Also you seem to have swapped the numbers or something since single WoW had better performance in unparked mode and dual had better in parked mode.

Most of the difference could probably be summed down to margin of error as well.
    Ugh I'll have a second look, was editing numbers too much (couldn't find a neat way to represent results).
    Yea, oops, mixed parked/unparked names. Will fix.
    Well, I ran the test once, obviously as I couldn't handle sitting there longer
    I know the results aren't super accurate, but we can see the trend.

The difference is obvious. Can you tell me a 'faster' way to benchmark many times? I remember there used to be in Quake games some console command to test FPS (damn I feel old -_- ).
    Last edited by Cyrops; 2014-01-08 at 06:54 PM.

I recently ran into a core parking issue with my new build. Its an AMD platform, and after I killed parking via a registry edit, surprise! no more frame stuttering in games. I don't claim to know how it exactly works, but for a user with an AMD APU, having both turbo and the IGP disabled, setting the registry settings from default value of 64, to zero, gave me smooth gameplay.
    I'll edit this post when I dig up the place I found the pertinent info from.

:::Edit::: Here's where I got the info about registry edits. ----> http://forum.cakewalk.com/Windows-7-...-m1861804.aspx
    | i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | 32Gigs Kingston FuryX 1866 RAM | Kingston Predator M.2 240Gig SSD | 4x Intel 320 Series SATA II RAID 0 | Samsung 850 Pro OS X Drive | WD Red 1TB Media Drive | NVidia GTX 960 | Noctua NH-D15 | Dell S2340 IPS | Fractal Design Define R4 |

most gaming and enthusiast boards default to C6 off in the bios, which eliminates the sleep status of cores, but it doesn't stop people from parking threads on a core, or at least trying to

i think part of the problem is that people simply expect too much from a new computer, ie "wow is 10 years old, you can run ultra on a potato" not realizing the limitations of the way the engine works

another part is the standard stuff, win7, dx11 game, youtube running with flash hardware acceleration on, etc
    Huge performance drops are common with core parking enabled, though. Mostly on hyperthreaded processors. When you're system is essentially shutting down an entire core of an i3, performance plummets. When your i7 suddenly becomes only a dual core, same issue.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    /timetest was what I was looking for
    I'll do the 'honest person' approach and sit there for 15mins *cough*
    Once I'm back home, that is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    /timetest was what I was looking for
    I'll do the 'honest person' approach and sit there for 15mins *cough*
    Once I'm back home, that is.
    Just make sure you follow EVN's way of testing to the point and probably a few extra tests on top of that or he might not approve

I look forward to the results though.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2014-01-09 at 01:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Just make sure you follow EVN's way of testing to the point and probably a few extra tests on top of that or he might not approve

I look forward to the results though.
    I was using FRAPS, but didn't know the /timetest

Deleted
    core parking is a hold over, and is not needed on anything since vista, essentially you could lock a process to only use a certain core, this was useful on dual cores so that you could put something like a render on core1 and everything else on core0
    Think you're confusing core parking with dynamic core assignment.

Core parking would be disabling one or more cores if they are no tasks requiring them running.
    What you are talking about is dynamic core time allocation or w/e the name is, anyways it's about OS executing task X on core Y then moving it to core Z and back to Y and so on and so forth, why is it done? I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Very few PC games are optimised to make use of more than two cores anyway, so Core Parking is unlikely to be a huge issue.
    This is very true. Very few games ever make full use of more then 2 cores, or the 64-bit technology.