Poll: Do you think we will see old gods again in World of Warcraft ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostwood View Post
    Aren't the Arakkoa on Outland (Draenor) corrupted by an old god? I remember a quest in Shadowmoon Valley where they were trying to summon one.
    I don't think that was an Old God... people get that confused as the model they used was C'thun's second form.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I don't think that was an Old God... people get that confused as the model they used was C'thun's second form.
    That was a Old God they were trying to summon. They even said in the quests.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I hope so, and I strongly think yes. They're a pretty major part of the story and they haven't been fully dealt with. There's more of them out there, and the ones we "killed" aren't actually dead.

I do hope so, there are a lot of plot threads regarding them just dangling out there with no resolution. And besides, they're my personal favorite sort of villain.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    It is called "Summoned Old God."

How much more direct do you want Blizzard to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Trix View Post
    I don't think we've had a Old God themed expansion.

Sure they pop up, but just because Deathwing was made insane by them and Garrosh stole a heart, does not make it an Old God themed expansion.

Vanilla and WotLK had Old Gods as well.

In my opinion, WotLK was the most Old God 'themed' expansion.

I hope we have an expansion with N'Zoth as the portrayed bad guy from the start, then that will be a Old God themed expansion.

Except the war between the alliance and the horde is really just the catalyst to the greater evil of the sha gaining more influence in Pandaria, and the sha being the remaining essences of an old god. And being created when Pandaria was shrouded by the emperor. And Garrosh being "corrupted" by an old god.

And you know, Deathwing becoming a giant tentacle monster empowered by an old god and the only reason he became insane being that he was corrupted by said old god.

I mean, what EXPANSION - no t in expansion to the other poster in this thread, hasn't been largely influenced by old gods? Burning Crusade. That's it.

Aren't they all Old God themed?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Aren't they all Old God themed?
    No, just because an old god appears doesn't mean it's "Old god themed"
    Burning Crusade is all about Illidaris & the legion
    Yogg is nothing but a filler in WotLK.
    Sha is retarded and despite being the residue of an Old God it fails at reproducing the same feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuragalolz View Post
    No, just because an old god appears doesn't mean it's "Old god themed"
    Burning Crusade is all about Illidaris & the legion
    Yogg is nothing but a filler in WotLK.
    Sha is retarded and despite being the residue of an Old God it fails at reproducing the same feeling.
    But they are all focused on how "the old gods corrupt everything"

Pretty much everything that is "evil" in wow is caused by the old gods or sargeras in one way or another.

Deleted
    If I recall correctly, the underwater raid featuring an Old God in Cataclysm (http://www.wowwiki.com/Abyssal_Maw), was supposed to theme Cataclysm as an Old God expansion as well. However due to lack of time they skipped this raid for now. I am unsure what was supposed to be inside, but I wouldn't be suprised if it has something to do with N'zoth.

I really wonder who or what the last Old God will be, especially because Old Gods seem to corrupt evrything. Could it be that it has corrupted the players? That the last Old God is actually "The Holy Light" or "Elune" and that we are all minions of him?

Chris Metzen already stated that the Emerald Nightmare as an expansion is not going to happen. Maybe as a raid (will look a bit like DragonSoul with all kind of "known places"). We know for sure that Xavius died, but Hakkar the Soulflayer is still alive, Hakkar who is presumably a son of an old god (N'zoth seems likely).

Quoting this: "During the War against the Nightmare, it was revealed that the the Emerald Nightmare was under the rule of a figure known as the Nightmare Lord, who in fact was really Malfurion Stormrage's old nemesis Xavius. However, it was also revealed that Xavius himself was a minion of a powerful yet ancient evil, residing in the Rift of Aln, and possibly also beneath Azeroth's oceans. This evil is the Old God N'Zoth."
    shows the link between Abbysal Maw and Emerald Nightmare.

Will we have another Old God themed expansion? Yes I think so, if you call an expansion old god if it features atleast one of them.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. We still have N'Zoth to contend with -go to 2.32 in the following video for the question:

So if The Dark Below does become real at some point, it could be a South Seas/Azshara/N'Zoth expansion. And there's always the idea that if we go to other planets, we may encounter them because they're inter-dimensional beings (imagine one of those evil horrors floating through the Twisting Nether).
    We shouldn't have one for a while seeing as they've been featured almost constantly (apart from the one summoning quest in TBC with the Dark Conclave tribe in SMV) in every expansion. Give it a rest for at least 4-5 years.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Still hoping for a "dark below" xpac taking place mostly below the ground/water level and focusing on N'zoth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Flavour Cat View Post
    Yes. We still have N'Zoth to contend with -go to 2.32 in the following video for the question:

So if The Dark Below does become real at some point, it could be a South Seas/Azshara/N'Zoth expansion. And there's always the idea that if we go to other planets, we may encounter them because they're inter-dimensional beings (imagine one of those evil horrors floating through the Twisting Nether).
    We shouldn't have one for a while seeing as they've been featured almost constantly (apart from the one summoning quest in TBC with the Dark Conclave tribe in SMV) in every expansion. Give it a rest for at least 4-5 years.
    interesting, and that guy asking the question omg ...

Hasn't there been some form of major Old God influence in pretty much every expansion except BC? You had C'thun (responsible for the Silithid, an entire zone's status, and two major raids) in Classic and Yogg-Saron in Wrath. Old Gods didn't make a direct appearance in Cataclysm that I can remember, but they were directly responsible for Deathwing's insanity, which was obviously a pretty big deal in Cataclysm. And, of course, there was the whole Garrosh Tentacle Monster thing in MoP.

I know Yogg-saron only directly appeared as a boss for one patch in Wrath, but his influence on the expansion's story was pretty significant.

edit: After looking on Wowpedia, there is a brief mention that a group of arakkoa in BC called the Dark Conclave was attempting to call forth a "Summoned Old God" when we stopped them through a quest. I think I vaguely remember doing that quest, but nothing ever really came of it.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-01-09 at 04:35 PM.

Deleted
    I'm suffering from mixed feelings towards another Old God expansion. On the one hand, they're pretty awesome looking chaps with a penchant for being complete dicks (not unlike my favourite Chaos god). However, they've had a presence in every expansion bar one (TBC), even more so than the Legion (again, TBC).

Moot points regardless. There will be another Old God expansion, just a question of when.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    But they are all focused on how "the old gods corrupt everything"

Pretty much everything that is "evil" in wow is caused by the old gods or sargeras in one way or another.
    Well despite the scourge being based on Northrend they havn't got corrupted by Yogg-Saron, they only shown us that Old Gods were able to corrupt the livings, even the titanic watchers, WotLK's main theme remain the scourge and the Lich King, Yogg-Saron just appears as a boss because having a raid on Northrend in another expansion would sound weird and there's only a little part of our "adventure" dedicated to him.
    Even in Ulduar, only Yogg himself and Vezax call old gods to mind.

We will almost definitely see another 'Old God' expansion. A lot of that is just because Blizzard has decided to tie them to everything meaning all of the expansions are by default... 'Old God' expansions. Even Vanilla was very 'Old God' centric in many ways. Of course if Blizzard is wanting to make a WoW2 they may hold off on some of the stuff people are 'certain' they'll be seeing in WoW and use it as content in newer iteration of the game.

Deleted
    I hope not.

I guess the issue is that they have to come up with a design method in which we only get a glimpse of their true form. Also there is the issue that people don;t seem to like stories where we don't get to kill someone/thing and this will always be the case with old gods. Also relates to the first point and maybe this is personal opinion but there has to be something there to explain how we mortals have the power to defeat an old god (unless they arn't as powerful as I perceive).

I think the Old Gods will always be more of a sub-plot, side quest matter, rather then the main focus.

The same way that N'zoth was involved with Deathwing, Yogg-Saron was behind Ulduar and Y'shaarj in Mists of Pandaria, none were major focuses of their respective expansions, but they still had enough involvement to be interesting and engaging. I think an expansion totally based on them would be rather dull.

Old Gods are exceptionally powerful, and killing off the remaining few is going to prove very challenging. I don't believe we know where most are, and I don't think it's possible to fully destroy them with our pathetic and weak mortal weaponry. It'd be a bit of a slap in the face for us to be able to overcome these immensely powerful beings in a mere two years, or when the next expansion launches and we're suddenly battling against far weaker foes.

Quote Originally Posted by Taronar View Post
    If I recall correctly, the underwater raid featuring an Old God in Cataclysm (http://www.wowwiki.com/Abyssal_Maw), was supposed to theme Cataclysm as an Old God expansion as well. However due to lack of time they skipped this raid for now. I am unsure what was supposed to be inside, but I wouldn't be suprised if it has something to do with N'zoth.
    While blizzard said it was a time issue, I'm almost 100% certain it was really a "people complained about how bad Vashj'ir was on a level not seen since the argument over the removal of the 3.0 raid meta drakes."

People HATE that zone. Even Blizz is willing to admit people hate that zone. An entire patch of nothing but underwater stuff would have been shooting themselves in the foot.

Personally, I would love to see an old god themed expansion. Provided Blizzard gets some better writers. H. P. Lovecraft was so skilled and subtle a writer that people thought his stories were real. With the old gods based so heavily and obviously on his mythos, I would hate for the hack who writes such one-dimensional masterpieces as Garrosh, post-5.0-Jaina Proudmoore and Varian chynn to work on the lore of such an expansion.
    Last edited by Nefarious Tea; 2014-01-09 at 06:36 PM.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation