Why does always Charge go first?

If i spam chains of ice (chillblains) and a warrior spams Charge, Charge always goes first.
    Why is this?

because warriors

10+ Year Old Account
    they have better latency?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrien View Post
    If i spam chains of ice (chillblains) and a warrior spams Charge, Charge always goes first.
    Why is this?
    Certain spells have priority effects over others. In case of Charge this is partially due to avoid Charge jumping, that abuses the Warriors range, without them being able to do anything. Same thing happens for example with effects like Blink. If you Blink and someone snares you in the same time, Blink has priority. Etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's how it goes.

When a warrior charges. The client checks if he can (CCs, path etc) and if he can warrior charges and the client tells server that warrior charged.
    When you cast CoI the client checks if you can (CCs, LoS, resources) and if you can you cast it and the client tells server that you cast CoI. Then server tells warrior he is rooted. By the time server tells this warrior has already charged.

It's about how skills are handled by client and server. Applying a debuff takes more time than using a movement ability (charge). Feel free to correct me as im not 100% on this one

Quote Originally Posted by ipoststuff View Post
    Here's how it goes.

When a warrior charges. The client checks if he can (CCs, path etc) and if he can warrior charges and the client tells server that warrior charged.
    When you cast CoI the client checks if you can (CCs, LoS, resources) and if you can you cast it and the client tells server that you cast CoI. Then server tells warrior he is rooted. By the time server tells this warrior has already charged.

It's about how skills are handled by client and server. Applying a debuff takes more time than using a movement ability (charge). Feel free to correct me as im not 100% on this one
    You pretty much summed it up.

Here's how it goes.

This, charge is basically a teleport and has a small delay, as an elemental shaman i used to thunderstorm the second i saw the warrior get in range with charge, but that always missed because the server had not updated his position yet, and i actually have to wait for the charge to fully finish and basically let him use an ability to make sure i'd actually knock him away.

overall charge is very buggy and nearly always goes in favour of the warrior if you're trying to stop it via roots/knockbacks etc.

While I do not mean to outright state that you are wrong, from my knowledge of computer security and how seriously Blizzard takes their games, I would be very surprised if any ability did not have a server-side check on its use. If only the client is doing the checking, then anyone with a modified client (Read: Hackers) can always force a positive result, which presents an innumerable number of potential exploits.

Given that a server-side check is therefor likely, Mr Jones' reply appears to be the most accurate. I will note however, that Mihalik's comment regarding charge's exception cases for handling things like charge jumping may be having an effect on the scenario. Without access to Blizzard's source-code or a confirmation from a developer, we're left without a solid answer on this one.

My 2c.
    -Vin-

May have to do with latency, but I have CoI'd Warriors with Chillblains before they charge frequently.

The best is shadowstepping as they charge. You end up at the warrior's original position with a short stun on you. The warrior is over where you used to be with a derp in his eye.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    The best is shadowstepping as they charge. You end up at the warrior's original position with a short stun on you. The warrior is over where you used to be with a derp in his eye.
    I remember a time when as a mage you could prevent warriors from charging you by casting counterspell on them to get them in combat. It sounds silly today, but back then you couldn't actually use charge in combat and were only limited to intercept which was on a 30 second cooldown. Charge has a 25 yard range while counterspell has a 30 yard reach, so provided when a warrior approached you started running away from him in the same direction as he was coming towards you, and counterspelled him, you could negate the lag window in which he could charge you even though you had put him in combat the second before. One more reason why mages completely dominated warriors during vanilla and actually up to WotLK i believe.

Some explanations sound nice. But id also stick to " just because its warrior". There was also a time it had minimum range and you couldnt just bash keyboard. Also hunters needed range as ranged and couldnt shoot arrows from 1 inch away!

Yeah, the game used to have logical aspects...once

Quote Originally Posted by PPN View Post
    There is nothing logical in huntards needed range to shoot. You can use rifles, you know. Or crossbows.

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    There is nothing logical in huntards needed range to shoot. You can use rifles, you know. Or crossbows.
    To use other games mechanics, shooting in melee would cause you to lose your avoidance, or take higher chance crits, or similar. Most games have a penalty for reloading in melee range of melee units.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

On the interweb, there is no such thing as « at the same time », anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kourvith View Post
    On the interweb, there is no such thing as « at the same time », anyway.
    By virtue of travel time between the 2 clients, I'd say it happens more often on the internet. Instant actions have a "duration" due to latency, meaning 2 things can happen at the same time despite one being performed a fraction of a millisecond later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by PPN View Post
    Some explanations sound nice. But id also stick to " just because its warrior". There was also a time it had minimum range and you couldnt just bash keyboard. Also hunters needed range as ranged and couldnt shoot arrows from 1 inch away!

Charge still has a minimum range of 8 yards

It would feel really bad if you hit charge and have to wait for latency before it goes off (well, these days I have 20ms ish latency so it wouldn't be so bad, but when WoW launched 100+ was standard). Or worse if you hit charge, it seems to go off immediately and then ports you back to where you were because the game decided it failed after all, which would be really disorienting.

I think they made the right choice, even if it is a bit annoying for the other guy sometimes.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.