Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    How about no?....For starters, there are at least a thousand things that make this impossible.

Deleted
    never gonna happen - this is not d3 with 5 abilities only after all....

It wouldn't work for consoles, but I'd swoon if they added controller support on PC. People have tried but it's barely functional. You need to be able to bind the camera to the right joystick, and problems arise when you need to click on things that you can't tab-target.

Would be "fun" to attempt healing a raid with a controller. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Desareon View Post
    How about no?....For starters, there are at least a thousand things that make this impossible.
    like what?? a lot of you pessimistic people are just saying no without saying why

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow has way too many options that would need to be removed.

Also based on how much of an upgrade the PS4 actually is over the PS3..... and the fact that Skyrim broke the PS3 and so did a few later titles with big worlds and tons of servers (oh god ESO on PS4 will suffer)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirino View Post
    Also WoW is much more competitive
    lol.. competitive...wow?

I guess you could, if you marketed it with a PS4 mouse/keyboard controller. Or can you just plug in a USB keyboard/mouse these days?

Honestly it's about time consoles started bundling keyboards and mice with them. I can't believe in 2014 people are still trying to play an FPS with controllers that last made sense in 2D platformers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeniwyn View Post
    Would be "fun" to attempt healing a raid with a controller. ^^
    As a long time healer that sounds brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by splifone View Post
    like what?? a lot of you pessimistic people are just saying no without saying why
    Trying to have almost any kind of rotation would be impossible if you are going to keep in things like cc, cooldowns both offensive and defensive, movement abilities, utility such as buffs and resses etc.

Further, how are you going to both target effectively, set your camera angle and move your character all at the same time? As a dps you might get away with just a tab-target approach but as a tank and especially healer you really need a more precise tool.

You could certainly make a wow-ish console game but wow in its current form would have to be changed so much it wouldn't be the same game at all anymore. Wow is designed with a mouse and keyboard in mind and utilize them so much that a console port is beyond unrealistic.
    Last edited by Jeniwyn; 2014-01-15 at 02:12 AM.

wow on a ps/xb doesnt make sense and can never work.

Making an entirely new game that looks like wow and its called wow for the ps doesnt make it wow either.
    Be feared, or be fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Jeniwyn View Post
    Trying to have almost any kind of rotation would be impossible if you are going to keep in things like cc, cooldowns both offensive and defensive, movement abilities, utility such as buffs and resses etc.

Further, how are you going to both target effectively, set your camera angle and move your character all at the same time? As a dps you might get away with just a tab-target approach but as a tank and especially healer you really need a more precise tool.

You could certainly make a wow-ish console game but wow in its current form would have to be changed so much it wouldn't be the same game at all anymore. Wow is designed with a mouse and keyboard in mind and utilize them so much that a console port is beyond unrealistic.
    well yeah that's my point WOW on the consoles isn't going to be 100% like wow on the computer. It's going to undergo a Console make-over with some redesigned mechanics but it will have the same world and same feel as WOW on the computer

I've mapped binds to a 360 controller before. Required some addons, a bit of thought and modifiers along with extensive cursor speed tests.

Turned out ok though, I split a rogues main abilities into 3's and then had shift and ctrl mods for them both which changed the icon or the bar for differing abilities.

Eg:

A button was always jump
    B was my Slice and Dice
    X was Sinister Strike
    Y was Eviscerate.

With Ctrl it'd go to something like:

A was sit/swim down
    B was Recup
    X was Revealing Strike
    Y was Rupture

Shift made it:

A was sheathe weapon (for total cool moments)
    B was Blade Flurry
    X was Fan of Knives
    Y was Crimson Tempest

Then the d-pad I treated as a traditional d-pad 4 buttons all linked to Stealth, CC, offensive and defensive cooldowns once again all tied into modifiers and making sure that the button replacing the main one had a similar use so it was easy to remember.

Shift and Ctrl were bound to the triggers, bumpers were left click and right click. I set right click to toggle off as opposed to on so that my right thumstuck would move my camera (as it controlled my mouse) and then by holding the bumper I could use my mouse to navigate menus and such. Left thumbstick obviously controlled my character (also having shift and ctrl modifiers on so I could toggle either auto run or mount up.)

There were only a couple things wrong with it, 1) The mouse control 2) Moving in combat whilst performing a rotation to the max. (I must add, I stil found this very viable and raided HoF like it one night though I did not tell my guild I was doing it cuz I knew it'd cause drama and I'd just rebuilt a UI around it lol)

However, IF they integrated the controller and let it access menus with the thumbsticks/d-pad when *paused* start button was pressed then also made the thumbstick control your character like a conventional game as opposed to wow's wasd methods (however it'd need really good tuning i feel) then it'd work at least for a sub set of class/spec combinations that are lucky enough to be able to bind all their major abilities into a controller with 8ish buttons. (I used the back button for tab btw and unfortunately the program I used to do all this didn't let me bind the x/box button though it would've been my extra boss action button, just cuz it was totally obvious lol)

So I'd imagine with the PS4's touch pad this could easily be done in a better way as I hacked mine together with bartender and a lot of action paging and macros.

I imagine with even more of the above you could even do some lua stuff and replace your combat abilities with things to interact with npcs whilst not in combat, professions or H/S. Even better would be having 2/3 foot pedals to act as modifiers as you'd free up an extra 2 buttons and gain alt mods too

So TLDR, It's not impossible just currently impractical I guess.
    Last edited by Dessan; 2014-01-15 at 02:32 AM.

I actually created an account just to comment on this. I have used a PC controller to play WoW longer then most have played. Since Vanilla, in fact. I *do* have a keyboard and mouse on standby, but only for typing in guild chat or when I am really playing competitively. I leveled my Panda Rogue entirely using my old Alienware USB Game pad (it had USB and PS2 hookups on it, so you know what it looked like). Character control was with the Left Digital Stick, Camera control with the Right Digital Stick. 1-3 on the keyboard was tied to Triangle, Circle, Square. Jump was set to X. Each shoulder button modified the 4 primary buttons, giving me 19 "on the fly" controls. The analog game pad was set to other Quality of Life functions as well. (IE: Quest log, professions, etc..) Select opened my map, start ran a macro that auto accepted new quests.

Was it perfect? No. Was it playable? You be the judge. My rogue is sitting at ilvl 529, and has LFR'd everything, always in the top DPS slots. Healing a raid is definitely harder, but healing a 5 man is beyond easy. Same with Tanking, although not as bad as healing. All of this is WITHOUT official support, and all of it without anyone knowing I was using a gamepad. With FF14, it is always easy to tell who is PC and who is PS3.

FYI: All of my toons are setup to play off the gamepad, as it is MUCH more enjoyable to play casually on the large plasma in the family room on the media center (same place where the PS3 is setup) as opposed to in the office.

(For reference, the reason my terms are in past tense is my old Alienware Gamepad finally gave up the ghost, and my new PS4 controller from Amazon isnt here yet.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirino View Post
    FF14 was a console to PC port. WoW is not.
    No that was FFXI FFXIV was a pc game in 1.0 and 2.0 it was designed for BOTH from the start.

That said I don't think WoW really belongs on consoles
    Last edited by Sorrior; 2014-01-15 at 02:51 AM.

I would never group with a console user

Quote Originally Posted by Cubehead View Post
    I would never group with a console user
    they'd be on seperate servers

Would just need to make modifier buttons, You could have something like x,square,circle,triangle and the d-pad for abilities then when you press L1, L2, R1 or R2 or a combination of them it changes what the ability is on those buttons. Also pressing L1 then R1 would bring up different abilities than pressing R1 first then L1 etcetera. Could easily do around 92+ different keybinds like this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, MMOs do not belong on consoles. Simple as that.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by speedymonkey View Post
    Would just need to make modifier buttons, You could have something like x,square,circle,triangle and the d-pad for abilities then when you press L1, L2, R1 or R2 or a combination of them it changes what the ability is on those buttons. Also pressing L1 then R1 would bring up different abilities than pressing R1 first then L1 etcetera. Could easily do around 92+ different keybinds like this.
    Wellll the FFXIV route for instance has a special action bar..And you can set it up to only swap between certain ones with a weapon drawn or not drawn.