Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post

2. Tech614 was arguing the validity and quality of a game is justified by it's budget, in other words, the bigger the budget the better the game. My point this whole time was that the cost of development is completely irrelevant if the end product is mediocre, it doesn't make it an AAA game if it has a high budget and it's not a "great" game based on the majority of reviews.
    Actually if you would have actually read what I said, this isn't even close to being the truth.

The original point was Nintendo somehow has a bigger focus on games then MS and Sony, in regards to Sony that is flat out false. Sony has more studios, produces more games and puts more money into games. They also market their games harder then Nintendo. There is no way in hell Nintendo has a bigger focus on games then Sony.

That is why budgets where brought up, you are the one here straw manning like the opinions of quality of games mattered for the argument, when they do not. You also still can't grasp the fact you are wrong on what a AAA game is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    They advertised blue ray functionality. That was all. It was also smart, because for many years the ps3 was the cheapest blue ray player on the market. Let's not also forget they the vast majority of ps3 commercials where for FIRST PARTY GAMES. Early in the ps3's life even, with Uncharted and Little Big Planet, Killzone 2 and Resistance 1 both got campaigned HEAVILY but somehow sony only markets as a media center? GTFO.

Guy above already provided you a list.

Let's just look at 2013 ALONE though.

PS3:

Sly Cooper Thieves in Time
    God of War Ascension
    Puppeteer
    MLB 13: The Show
    The Last of Us
    Beyond: Two Souls
    Gran Turismo 6

Vita(not gonna name the ports of ps3 games like Sly and MLB):

Soul Sacrifice
    Killzone Mercenary
    Tearaway

PS4:

Killzone Shadow Fall
    Knack

You would be pretty hard pressed to find any year in Nintendo's history that released even close to that many AAA titles. Sony is the biggest game publisher in the world, the only ones that are even close are EA and Take Two.
    3DS:

Brain Age: Concentration Training
    Fire Emblem: Awakening
    Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
    Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf
    Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
    Pokemon X & Y
    Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
    Mario Party: Island Tour

Wii U:

Game & Wario
    Pikmin 3
    Super Mario 3D World
    The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

If you want, I can add the games that Nintendo published as well as made.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Actually if you would have actually read what I said, this isn't even close to being the truth.

The original point was Nintendo somehow has a bigger focus on games then MS and Sony, in regards to Sony that is flat out false. Sony has more studios, produces more games and puts more money into games. They also market their games harder then Nintendo. There is no way in hell Nintendo has a bigger focus on games then Sony.

That is why budgets where brought up, you are the one here straw manning like the opinions of quality of games mattered for the argument, when they do not. You also still can't grasp the fact you are wrong on what a AAA game is.
    Since when does Nintendo need to market their games? Their shit sells like hotcakes regardless of whether they advertise it or not. They sold 30 million copies of Mario Kart for the Wii, and they hardly marketed that game at all. Sony isn't Nintendo in that regard, and Nintendo is a name brand for their franchises alone, they are recognized for their franchises. Sony has to market their franchises because they are not recognized for their own game development in the same regard that Nintendo is. Nintendo has had almost 30 years worth of video game development behind them, Sony didn't start seriously developing games with the larger numbers of studios until the PS3, they had no choice because of how poorly the PS3 launched from a 3rd party standpoint.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sony released more first party exclusives on the ps3 then Nintendo did on the Wii.

Also would like to know the last time Sony advertised netflix and what not for the ps3. That is more MSs shindig. Sony almost only spends marketing money on GAMES.

I laugh at the notion that Nintendo is more focused on games then Sony. Sony has more gaming studios and produces far more games for their consoles then Nintendo does.
    Was referring to Microsoft.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    1. No, the cost of a game development has never been what made it an AAA title, the whole concept of AAA games came about when the debate started coming up about how good a game was in terms of review scores, and it's been that way for the last several years on a variety of game forums. AAA games were always deemed as the cream of the crop on other forums that I visit, usually rated at 9.5 or higher.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA
    AAA game, a term in the video game industry for games developed for major platforms with enormous marketing budgets.
    Which is what people have been saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    3DS:

Brain Age: Concentration Training
    Fire Emblem: Awakening
    Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
    Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf
    Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
    Pokemon X & Y
    Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
    Mario Party: Island Tour

Wii U:

Game & Wario
    Pikmin 3
    Super Mario 3D World
    The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

If you want, I can add the games that Nintendo published as well as made.
    Wait, we're gonna call niche games AAA games now?

I have nothing against niche games, I love almost everything ATLUS publishes for example but The Last of Us probably costed more to make then all of those 3ds games, Game & Wario and Wind Waker HD did combined. Hell, Wind Waker HD is a crappy port at that, a gamecube game that has frame rate dips on the Wii U is a sad excuse of a game. It probably costed pennies to make. The only AAA games I see on that list are Super Mario 3d World and Pikmin 3. There is a reason I didn't list all the psn titles sony have made as well on that list.

Once again, all I'm saying is that Sony spends more money on game development then Nintendo, so claiming Nintendo has a bigger focus on games then them is laughable.

You listed Puppeteer and Tearaway. How in God's name are those not "niche"?

He didn't say they were AAA, he simply added Nintendo published games to the list. Because the list he quoted (yours) has non-AAA games as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    He didn't say they were AAA, he simply added Nintendo published games to the list. Because the list he quoted (yours) has non-AAA games as well.
    If you want to claim Tearaway, Soul Sacrifice and Puppeteer aren't AAA you can go right ahead. I doubt Sony would agree with you judging by what they cost to make. The budget for all 3 was over $5 mil each. Not the $30+ mil for Beyond Two Souls and I don't even know the budget for The Last of Us, but that is still AAA game territory.

We are comparing this to 3ds games that costed about as much to make as Doki Doki Universe and Resogun, yet I'm not listing them.

If you want to claim Tearaway, Soul Sacrifice and Puppeteer aren't AAA you can go right ahead. I doubt Sony would agree with you judging by what they cost to make. The budget for all 3 was over $5 mil each.

We are comparing this to 3ds games that costed about as much to make as Doki Doki Universe and Resogun, yet I'm not listing them.
    $5 million for a game isn't all that much nowadays...

If you want to claim Tearaway, Soul Sacrifice and Puppeteer aren't AAA you can go right ahead. I doubt Sony would agree with you judging by what they cost to make. The budget for all 3 was over $5 mil each. Not the $30+ mil for Beyond Two Souls and I don't even know the budget for The Last of Us, but that is still AAA game territory.

Yeah, I'm sure Pokemon only cost $30,000 to make.

Are we arguing about the exact definition of AAA is? Because it's like a mooshy term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Wii U only did crap because it had no games, It has a few games for it now and despite the fact that the Wii U is an outdated piece of crap the games Nintendo make are amazing. Mario and Pokemon are the best selling game franchises of the last decade and of all time if I'm not mistaken.

I don't think the Wii U will ever capture hardcore gamers though, only old gamers. My generation (I'm 28 next week) is probably the among the last that experienced the gaming of the 90s with Sonic, Mario and Zelda being "the" games. The kids now are not really able to relate to that, If I look at my nephews (one is 16, other 12) they have an original Wii but they don't care about Mario, nor do they understand the relevance of how awesome those old games were.. they don't even play the Wii... What they care about is Call of Duty and Xbox 360/one.

My mother on the other hand, she was playing Mario on the NES and then Sonic on the Mega Drive when I was still a young child, when I had an original DS she played it more than I did because of New Mario Bros, and she has a Nintendo Wii.. only one game though, New Super Mario Bros.... and she will play that game for hours on end for years. Same thing with my 3DS, she plays it more than me and has New Super Mario Bros 2, only game she cares about.

That really is the thing, a lot of Nintendos games actually appeal to an older generation, a lot of those people aren't what you could consider "hardcore" gamers by todays standards, though with that said as much as my mother could not complete a modern game nor even bring herself to play it, she knows every secret and every level of every 2d Mario game.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Wii U only did crap because it had no games, It has a few games for it now and despite the fact that the Wii U is an outdated piece of crap the games Nintendo make are amazing. Mario and Pokemon are the best selling game franchises of the last decade and of all time if I'm not mistaken.

I don't think the Wii U will ever capture hardcore gamers though, only old gamers. My generation (I'm 28 next week) is probably the among the last that experienced the gaming of the 90s with Sonic, Mario and Zelda being "the" games. The kids now are not really able to relate to that, If I look at my nephews (one is 16, other 12) they have an original Wii but they don't care about Mario, nor do they understand the relevance of how awesome those old games were.. they don't even play the Wii... What they care about is Call of Duty and Xbox 360/one.

My mother on the other hand, she was playing Mario on the NES and then Sonic on the Mega Drive when I was still a young child, when I had an original DS she played it more than I did because of New Mario Bros, and she has a Nintendo Wii.. only one game though, New Super Mario Bros.... and she will play that game for hours on end for years. Same thing with my 3DS, she plays it more than me and has New Super Mario Bros 2, only game she cares about.

That really is the thing, a lot of Nintendos games actually appeal to an older generation, a lot of those people aren't what you could consider "hardcore" gamers by todays standards, though with that said as much as my mother could not complete a modern game nor even bring herself to play it, she knows every secret and every level of every 2d Mario game.
    Ugh, don't remind me. I am NOT looking forward to having that conservation with my future children. You know, about how back in the '90's, people were willing to play games with colors in them, or how people played RPG's that weren't FPS's.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh, don't remind me. I am NOT looking forward to having that conservation with my future children. You know, about how back in the '90's, people were willing to play games with colors in them, or how people played RPG's that weren't FPS's.
    Or how games weren't just FPS's with no storyline, sports rehashes and overrated RPG's with Goosebumps style choose your own adventure pathings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    $5 million for a game isn't all that much nowadays...
    It's cheap for a console game, expensive if it's an indie PC game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im not looking forward to telling my kids why Dad won't buy them another outdated gimicky console so they can play another 'updated' version of Mario or Zelda.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Im not looking forward to telling my kids why Dad won't buy them another outdated gimicky console so they can play another 'updated' version of Mario or Zelda.
    I get the feeling that you won't have to worry about that.

Edit: Also, fun fact. There are fewer console Zelda games (8) than Call of Duty games (10). Zelda? 25 years old. CoD? 10.
    Last edited by Zython; 2014-01-16 at 10:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not able to read between the lines in this post so its whizzed over my head

Tbh though I have owned every Nintendo since the Nes so I probably will buy them one anyway just because I stil enjoy 'updated' Zelda games, and my kids still like the Wii.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2014-01-16 at 10:07 AM.

Edit: Also, fun fact. There are fewer console Zelda games (8) than Call of Duty games (10). Zelda? 25 years old. CoD? 10.
    Hrm lets compare zelda to a game that has had multiple studios developing games for it.... Sorry i love zelda but its long past its prime with its best games being at least 2 generations ago not counting remakes. Metroid as well, good games but prime sucked ass with the cube and then wii controls, FPS game needed proper dual analog. Iv owned every nintendo console myself including the fabled virtual boy up untill the wii u. THe only reason i would purchase a wii u would be for pikmin and SSB but i dont seemyself buying the console for just those 2. My wii was given to me as a gift otherwise i wouldnt have owned one as the only game i could stomache on it was ssbb. I await the return of pre wii nintendo, say the gamecube 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats not particularly fun, Cod is a terrible franchise.