Page 1 of 37
... LastLast

The slippery slope has finally ended.

All those years we made fun of the people saying. "If they sell server transfers whats stoping them from selling gear or max lvl characters? We thought such connection would never happen, since blizzard knows better.

Then they removed the faction limit and sold faction changes.....ok not that big of a deal, a little bit of worry spread the forums, but most people learned to accept it.

Now they are officially selling lvl 90 characters, even offering you a lvl 90 while the lvl 90 expansion is still out. This is officially, for me and my personal comfort level, too far. Wow has changes and so design physiology changes with it. It will continent you do so, iv spent much time in wow thinking that they made some mistakes and they will simply get back on track with the epic gameplay choices they made in the past.

But I realize now, that im simply an outdated customer, and that few of these things are mistakes. They are simply shifts to a new style of game, one that does not catch my fancy. Im more of an oldschool RPG fan, wow back in TBC hit my personal favorite balance on the genre. Wow is still a good game to some, but its not the same game. Do I feel its fair? Not really. I wish they would open up oldschool servers to support the fans of wow past. But there are always other ways to do that.

Blizzard seems under the impression that "less people are playing mmos in general" but I dont think that is a result of the consumer, as much as it is a result of the lack of a true mmo products. (This one could be opinion, but for me this is true, I still love mmos, I just dont know of any REAL mmos these days)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Babzu View Post
    All those years we made fun of the people saying. "If they sell server transfers whats stoping them from selling gear or max lvl characters? We thought such connection would never happen, since blizzard knows better.

Then they removed the faction limit and sold faction changes.....ok not that big of a deal, a little bit of worry spread the forums, but most people learned to accept it.

Now they are officially selling lvl 90 characters, even offering you a lvl 90 while the lvl 90 expansion is still out. This is officially, for me and my personal comfort level, too far. Wow has changes and so design physiology changes with it. It will continent you do so, iv spent much time in wow thinking that they made some mistakes and they will simply get back on track with the epic gameplay choices they made in the past.

But I realize now, that im simply an outdated customer, and that few of these things are mistakes. They are simply shifts to a new style of game, one that does not catch my fancy. Im more of an oldschool RPG fan, wow back in TBC hit my personal favorite balance on the genre. Wow is still a good game to some, but its not the same game. Do I feel its fair? Not really. I wish they would open up oldschool servers to support the fans of wow past. But there are always other ways to do that.

Blizzard seems under the impression that "less people are playing mmos in general" but I dont think that is a result of the consumer, as much as it is a result of the lack of a true mmo products. (This one could be opinion, but for me this is true, I still love mmos, I just dont know of any REAL mmos these days)
    careful with that line of thinking on these forums, since pretty much everyone here is going to slit your throat for having an opinion that differs from theirs...
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    careful with that line of thinking on these forums, since pretty much everyone here is going to slit your throat for having an opinion that differs from theirs...
    Careful with that line of thinking on these forums, sine most rational people will mock you for making gross exaggerations.

MMO-Champion: Known for it's rational people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    Careful with that line of thinking on these forums, sine most rational people will mock you for making gross exaggerations.
    Careful with that line of thinking on these forums, since I can't think of anything witty.

Shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now they are officially selling lvl 90 characters, even offering you a lvl 90 while the lvl 90 expansion is still out
    No they're not. Don't make things up.

The slippery slope has only begun.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Selling level 90s impacts you how, exactly? I'd say most people already have 90s of all the classes they want, not like leveling takes long, it's just incredibly boring and redundant.

Comparing it to selling gear is stupid, because they're totally different. Selling level 90s when the level cap is 100 only exists to save time so you don't have to do more pointless level grinding which isn't fun to begin with. Selling gear that actually impacts the end game and impacts how you play the game at max level is completely different.

That being said, I wouldn't personally care if they sold LFR gear or honor gear, since neither of those really matter in the true end game of heroic raiding and high end arenas/RBGs. But I don't think they ever will, even though it wouldn't be that bad if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Well technically in a round-a-bout kinda way they are officially selling them, it just requires you to purchase a copy of the expansion first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz80 View Post
    Well technically in a round-a-bout kinda way they are officially selling them, it just requires you to purchase a copy of the expansion first.
    That's not even remotely selling them.

True, they are officially testing how to do so, which is similar enough to warrant concern for those who care about it.

We’ve also heard feedback from players that they’d be interested in boosting multiple characters to 90, including alts they play with friends on other factions and realms. We’ve been evaluating ways to make that possible without having players go through roundabout methods (such as purchasing multiple boxes and performing multiple character transfers), and in the near future we’ll be testing out a feature that gives you the option to purchase a character upgrade directly. We’ll have more information to share later—including details on our character-upgrade plans for Asian regions where players don’t buy expansion boxes—but you’ll start seeing pieces of the process soon on the PTR, so keep an eye out.
    yes?

Either way, there are many people who have stated vehemently that micro-transactions would never get this far and denied the slippery slope made apparent with the in game shop.

Was being flippant about it lol. Hence the "". I couldn't care less even if they were selling level 100's, since I'll never buy one it doesn't affect me.

Sweet in that case we don't have to hear about slippery slope arguments anymore.

Oes noes someone will get a gearless 90 without having to go through Jade Forest for the 40th time.

Or doing Brewery until their eyes bleed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

AHAHAAH cya OP, omg a lvl 90 it's cheating you know, not like i have 6 of them.

can't wait soon as i can buy level 90's i'm going straight to multibox heroic garrosh with my 25 lvl 90's in greens.

No. Look at it this way, imagine never playing an MMO, and knowing WoW is the biggest, are looking to get into it. But wait, Wow has, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 expansions. Thats beyond daunting to any new player. The free level 90 is for those that want to start at the new content that they're buying the expansion for and get right into the action.

There will be very few long time players actually paying for a level 90, they know the ropes of the game and for the price, the time it takes to level really won't be that big of a deal.

I suppose people don't get that this is a defacto "reboot". By giving away a level 90 to everybody, Warlords of Draenor is "WoW 2" without being "WoW 2". It's attempting to get everybody, new players included, on a relatively even playing field.

Selling 90s? Who cares? It's not unique model mounts or pets. It's not taking anything away from the production side of things. It's affording people a convenience of not having to go through the leveling process if they don't want to. There is nothing tangible to be gained.

It's not ended, if anything it's just beginning. We have yet to see valor boosts and extra lockouts being sold, so there is plenty of wiggle room left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Food for thought.

I know that if I ran a business that periodically reduced the leveling time to 90 by numbers upwards of 33%, and suddenly made a way to buy and skip all that. I would no longer periodically reduce the time it takes to level from 1-90.

Now this is of course conjecture, but still likely
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

You get it with a purchase...

One of the things they're trying to do is get new and old players to return, and giving them "free" 90, which requires you to buy it with the expansion, or as a service. IT is not a bonus with those intentions, it is a bundle... so yes... this is SELLING MAX LVL CHARACTER.

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Either way, there are many people who have stated vehemently that micro-transactions would never get this far and denied the slippery slope made apparent with the in game shop.
    "this far" rofl a level 90, you must be terrible at the game, anyone who was half decent wouldn't care about buying a level 90 with crap gear, no gold, no achievements nothing at all except level 90, oh now you can go timeless and get crap gear, now LFR and more crap gear, if you try then flex and some more crap gear, you're still nowhere near some decent gear or the 100% required legendary questline items.