Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

New Idea : Player Religion.

Religion and beliefs were always part of warcraft races, it plays a major part of societies present in warcraft universe.

humans worship the light, while night elves worship elune, tauren worship the earthmother, orcs look up to their ancestors for guidance, the forsaken have their own religion.

some races have similar beliefs (like dwarf and human paladins, both worship the light) and such.

so with this in mind, would you like to see a minor system implemented that lets you choose a religion, becoming the follower of that certain religion requires you to visit the temples of the chosen religion and will unlock questlines and dailies which revolve around that religion's customs. this will allow the devs to introduce a deeper understanding of each religion to players.

rewards can also be put in place for these religions, to encourage players to increase their reputation with their temple.

EDIT : perhaps some spells and abilities can also be given to those who have reached the highest rank in their religion.

Deleted
    Bad Idea: Player Religion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ooh, more reasons for me to hate and kill the Alliance? I'm in.

Deleted
    Oh sweet zombie Jebus, this would cause even more temper tantrums in LFD/LFR than now. Take all the hate BElfs get and multiply it by 3, thats is how much douchery will be unleashed with this idea.

...or not, depending on how many people realise this is a game, thereby not starting Crusades and Jihad's against one another for not beliving in the correct iteration of the Light.

It boils down to just another rep grind. It sounds good, but Religion in games usually comes with alot more trouble than it's worth.

What sort of rewards are there for atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by hypetrain View Post
    This isn't the Animaniacs.

Although it would be cool if done correctly, but I'm sure Blizzard would probably write it off as too much work for a small thing.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Put a highly controversial topic in a game filled with people willing to abuse each other at the drop of a hat. OH YEAH GREAT IDEA. /sarcasm
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Urobolos View Post
    What sort of rewards are there for atheists?
    Goblin atheists worship money.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thassarian View Post
    It boils down to just another rep grind. It sounds good, but Religion in games usually comes with alot more trouble than it's worth.
    perhaps not reputation, but a new system in which you progress by doing quests/dailies/ or follow and keep up a certain gameplay, or gather items.

for example, distribute food among the SW poor in a daily quest by the cathedrial of light. or put some mindless undead at Brill to rest as a follower of the forsaken ideology.

Can I strut around the auction house declaring that your religion is a false god and my religion is the only true religion based on the fact that its my religion and naturally any religion I belong to must be the only one true religion? Can I cross to eastern Kalimdor seeking release from religious persecution and then spend the rest of my life persecuting other religions in a vein attempt to make my religion the only one that counts? If so count me in.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    ^^^^ not to bash the op but this would/could create a lot of issues with griefing. If anything I'd say sub factioning but not religious factioning. Similar to the Kirin Tor or Silver Covenant would be fine because they are already in the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celawien View Post
    ^^^^ not to bash the op but this would/could create a lot of issues with griefing. If anything I'd say sub factioning but not religious factioning. Similar to the Kirin Tor or Silver Covenant would be fine because they are already in the game.
    griefing??? how would this cause griefing?? none of the religions are going bash eachother in the face. it's not like followers of light are going to be killed when they enter darnassus and such.

This isn't really a full-blown RPG (and never has been) so going as far as to decide the personal beliefs of your character as an supported in-game feature would be a bit much. Especially since religion in Warcraft is a bit more... odd than real life. A Troll doesn't have to worship a Loa because their parents told them Shadra is a spider goddess that looks over the cleaver and the cautious (or whatnot), they can worship her because she'll walk right out of nothingness and eat a passing horse in front of them.

Same with the Light. Just about any priest can wiggle their wrists and breathe glowy goodness on someone else and their wounds will begin to heal. Kinda kills the mystery.

The only thing this would do is punish those who choose not to worship something.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    This isn't really a full-blown RPG (and never has been) so going as far as to decide the personal beliefs of your character as an supported in-game feature would be a bit much. Especially sense religion in Warcraft is a bit more... odd than real life. A Troll doesn't have to worship a Loa because their parents told them Shadra is a spider goddess that looks over the cleaver and the cautious (or whatnot), they can worship her because she'll walk right out of nothingness and eat a passing horse in front of them.

Same with the Light. Just about any priest can wiggle their wrists and breathe glowy goodness on someone else and their wounds will begin to heal. Kinda kills the mystery.

The only thing this would do is punish those who choose not to worship something.
    punish them how? are players who dont fish/cook/do archeology punished in game? this -belief system- can somehow be implemented to become something like pet battles (or brawler's guild).

the abilities and items i mentioned as rewards can be purely for cosmetic purposes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Like many others here, picking a religion in a game don't exactly sound like a good idea to me.

However, creating factions tied to the lorewalkers, which everyone could access(without picking a "belief") to learn more, could work.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to be the supreme leader of The Church of the Red Panda. Or deacon of The Church of the Fonz. ehhhhhhh *finger point*

there is always church of orodos. sorry i killed you because of my religion hue hue hue
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

I'm sorry but adding religion to anything is a recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by hypetrain View Post
    /thread religion can fuck off, it causes enough real world problems without putting them into warcraft.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's no such thing as religion in WoW.. fortunately. So no thanks, not in my opinion at least.