Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why do you enjoy tanking?

Tanking is something that I never really got into and I'm curious why people like it.

Might actually delve into it a little since I'm killing time till WoD. =)

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the respect I get...or rather, used to get when threat was more difficult to hold from my raid team and from people in-game. I haven't been a raid tank since DS but I'm returning to tanking in WoD.

Plus I like being a meatshield and walking through the mobs like they're butter.

I enjoy the stamina and beeing able to stand there just taking a beating and surviving on your own.
    Also you get to set the pace sometimes (;

Because I enjoy guarding other people, controlling enemy positions, controlling my own hit points, have those 'rattattattattatta'-moments where your fingers fly over your keyboard and you're only just keeping yourself and your group alive, but at the same time, everything flows perfectly, like performing a dance on a tightrope.

Also, watching red numbers as I push buttons doesn't interest me. I like healing because I love playing support, and seeing my efforts rewarded by the fact we nobody died even if the situations were tense at times, but DPS just bores me to tears. Going for perfection, which is pretty much the DPS mantra, is a different, repetitive challenge that I do not enjoy simply because it is so repetitive.

That's why I like tanking.

i like to be overgeared with my tank and ask a also overgeared healer if its oke to go nuts. and then pull half the instance and aoe them down. and find out you did 50% of the dmg:P

I've tanked on a warrior and druid so far, and I thoroughly enjoy the warrior while I find the druid boring. So for me the toolkit of the warriors is what makes tanking fun. Being able to charge and/or leap to mobs and hold them all so the group is safe feels good, and I like the active mitigation playstyle of warriors. Plus it's fun to know that the role you enjoy is apparently one that a lot of people don't like or want to try, and that it's one of the more in-demand roles out there.

I like responsible tasks. I started as DPS, then rolled healer and then tank.

Also, high health pools affect my epeen
    Last edited by rinleezwins; 2014-01-20 at 03:11 PM.

Deleted
    I don't tank raids, my priest is my main, so I only tank 5 man content.

I don't know why I like tanking or even if I like it. Every time I run a dungeon as a tank, I find myself complaining about the people in the group. I have this feeling much less when dpsing or healing. Yet I still tank 5 man content... Why do I do it? I think it makes me feel good to reach the end of the dungeon with a somewhat incompetent group.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mostly just like having control over the group. I'm not an evil dictator, I swear!

Quote Originally Posted by dryankem View Post
    Tanking is something that I never really got into and I'm curious why people like it.

Might actually delve into it a little since I'm killing time till WoD. =)
    I did, during the breif window where it was fun for pally tanks till we got the nerf bat this expac.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

If i tank, i can set the tempo for the group. I really like that, since i dislike slow tanks when i'm dps or healer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshot View Post
    I thoroughly enjoy the warrior while I find the druid boring. So for me the toolkit of the warriors is what makes tanking fun. Being able to charge and/or leap to mobs and hold them all so the group is safe feels good, and I like the active mitigation playstyle of warriors.
    How is this different from bears?

OT: I like to be able to set the pace when tanking, I have Druid (os), DK, Monk, Paladin + Warrior tanks.
    Last edited by mmoc20f1d63755; 2014-01-20 at 03:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've tanked as a paladin since BC (When it was HARD), and done a bit of tanking on every other tanking class that can since Wrath (I play all…11 classes? I'm a loser) and while the mechanics have progressively gotten easier (and in some instances…very boring) I still enjoy having that control over a situation that involves many people. There's a rush involved in knowing that you are the only thing between this super big boss and wiping your group/raid.

I like being that sort of support, and I've always been the kind of person who responds with, "What do you need?" after being asked what I wanted to play in a raiding guild. Tanks were usually in short supply, so my pally was always in use (tank and heals).

On a side note, tanking the heavy hitters on Timeless Isle's Blazing Way becomes hilarious when someone tries to pvp/coin farm me. All I do is taunt a dragon and two or three more chargers (What? It's fun!) and stand next to my attacker and they die in a fiery explosion of squishy parts.If i die before them (And sometimes I do if I miss a damage spike) then I have enough time to rez and look over to watch my attacker get creamed by my leftovers. (Oh yeah, and the mobs usually get the killing blow, so no coin for the farmer and a repair bill on top of it ) Shenanigans like that is also why I enjoy tanking.

Short answer? Most good tanks are adrenaline junkies.

I started out as a ranged DPS, leveled a tank (prot pally) as 2nd char and that one was always my 2nd main pretty much (did all content on it as well, albeit sometimes slightly later, altho always when it was current), then swapped to the pally for raiding main at start of ToT when the guild needed a tank and I was a bit tired of booming it. Love tanking, in part the fact that you can take a solid pounding without dying (even without a healer), the fact that you go into a room, say "your mama was a trampoline" to all the mobs and they come ragefacing at you and get a smackdown for it. The fact that in MoP we've actually been doing pretty good damage (yea I'm vain but hell it's fun to top damage and healing charts as a tank sometimes :P) and the fact that a good tank can make everything so much easier. Good DPS and good healers matters as well but nothing is as noticeable as a good vs bad tank.

I've now got all tanks (wait, shoot I don't have a monk yet, well, almost all :P) and both a warrior and pala at 90. Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I mostly just like having control over the group.
    This but not in the actually evil dictator sort of way because it's more of the control over the situation. A great tank can pull crazy stuff that can save groups from wipes and it doesn't matter the level of the content. In fact, my only dislike of SoO is that I can't pull my raid back from a wipe on the only part of Garrosh we struggle with. I could go on and on with the stories but I will spare you all my nostalgia.

It's also second nature at this point. Healing and Dpsing I have to "think" about. I tank on instinct now.

Either that or warriors have to many awesome raid tanking cds...

In Vanilla in was hard to keep threat on all the adds and afterwards you felt you achieved something that not many others can do as well. Now I tank for faster que times as my time is precious. All my toons but one are a tank or healer now
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Plus I like being a meatshield and walking through the mobs like they're butter.
    Walking through heaps of butter would seem rather difficult to me...

Deleted
    Because I can do it. I can't heal for shit anymore, and I also can't DPS efficiently for some reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like to tank because I am being an integral part of my team. The entire reason I rolled a tank and switched from resto shaman was because my group needed a tank. I also like the fact I can take absolute beating from a boss and live.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfrosti View Post
    How is this different from bears?
    I find the animations of warriors to be much more engaging, especially as a female noam warrior tank.