Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    WoW is already benefitting from the f2p model - they have microtransactions and are making bank without having to toss out subscriptions.

They probably put Titan on the back-burners because this was working well enough for them.

Blizz doesn't need to make a good game if everyone is already satisfied with the horse manure they're currently getting.

That list is wrong - where's Candy Crush?

Quote Originally Posted by MeteorPunch View Post
    That list is wrong - where's Candy Crush?
    You serious lol? It's a list for online games. MMOs and MOBAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    And Blizzard has made over $10 billion with its subscription based model. What are you trying to prove?
    OMG, you don't understand anything do you?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TranceZiggy View Post
    They won't go F2P.

Arguably the biggest F2P game, League, with 32 million daily active accounts as of October 2013, made $624mil from micro transactions.

WoW has 7 million active accounts last I saw, that's roughly $1.26billion in a year through subs, plus another $216mil through micro transactions.

Going F2P would be a massive loss, even IF active account numbers went back up.
    More OMG. Well, all I can say is wait and see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    You have to look at it in the context of business earnings/transactions. On a corporate level when discussing earnings of hundreds of millions of dollars something like $25 is nothing by itself. That sum over and over hundreds of thousands of times is what generates the revenue, so each of those are considered a single "micro transaction".

"I think $25 is too much for a mount so I don't consider it 'micro'" is not the same as "$25 generated funds contrasted against a total revenue of $213,000,000" and the latter is the context for the term.

Obvious concept is obvious, stop being obtuse.
    So by this logic and definition, unless you buy a NASA space shuttle in-game for around $200,000,000 all transactions are "micro," including expansions, pets, mounts, transfers, race/faction changes, and even the monthly subscription itself. Blizzard should be number 1 on this list. Non-obtuse concept is non-obtuse, stop being witty.
    Last edited by yoma; 2014-01-22 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Thank you gamers for essentially ruining gaming.

Ya'll make me so proud.
    Ruining gaming? I'm curious as to why. League of Legends is hugely popular and tons of people play without paying a cent, same with every other non-sub game on the list. Gaming started in arcades as nothing but microtransactions. Trying to get you to just put one more quarter in that machine to get an ounce more fun out of it. How in the world did a bunch of option purchases ruin anything? There are still games out and coming out soon that won't have anything more than the $60 you paid for it. Play those if you don't like it.

what's really missing from this discussion is not whether or not they should go ftp with micro transactions or not…but that between subscriptions and micro transactions they are making ungodly amounts of money that far exceeds any staffing /tech costs they incur…even with only 7 million subs…and yet have failed to live up to promises to produce content faster etc.

Frankly, considering the amount of money they make off the game you're being ripped off.

10+ Year Old Account
    f2p needs to die in a fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - the level of addiction and completely blind, mindless Blizzard defence on these forums is equal to some of the worst drug addicted people I have met in my life.

I should do a gradu on you people if I go back to studying psych some day.
    Aye.

I still enjoy the game (stuff still to do I guess) but only still playing as a few friends have recentley returned.

I am sick of not being able to constructively criticise something I have played for years (and have a good working knowledge of) because of Blizzard's fanatical zealots.

Ahhhh, I remember 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 when i was on these forums...Threads about "wow is dead", "wow is too expensive", blablabla....was already on there at that time....

Now, 2014 the threads are just the same yet WOW lost half their subscribers. See...what you guys say/think/do doesn't affect the subs....people come and go, in every game...

Just play & enjoy while it lasts!
    It's like we are all Red Jelly Beans in a Jar full of various colors. Every now and then they reach in and get a Red Jelly Bean.
    We know we are in there, we can see the color, we just can't do anything to speed up our being taken out of the jar -- Jelly Beans can't speak.

So we are in a half-free situation now. The subscription fee is relatively a small amount of money and Blizzard won't raise the price. So the way to manage this is that Blizzard adds in-game store and various kinds of services. All the mounts and pets are helping to contribute to annual income, however one day Blizzard will provide some kinds of services that players can buy and sell gears. Blizzard is careful to make any movements but when the market is in depression and players get used to game store step by step, it won't be hard for them to accept gears trade and other kinds of "free to play" elements.
    Last edited by billielecter; 2014-01-22 at 09:55 AM.

Those are quite some staggering numbers indeed.

Wow offers a diverse array of microtransactions from the item shop (pets / mounts / vanity gear) to character services (char migrations / race changes / name changes etc)

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    No source for this but I would probably be one of the least surprised people here if they suddenly announced they were extending the free trial version from level 20 to 80 someday. They'll need some more stuff in the store to do this--all of which will bring down the wrath of the forum types--but if you look at what they're doing with CRZ/connected realms and a lot of other things one might presume that they're looking ahead to a day when they have 15-20 million people playing again. They won't get there just on subscriptions. Looked at that way, even the store 90's make sense. Keep end game like it is now but put most of the rest of the game as F2P is a discussable proposition.
    That sounds quite plausible. I mean even if they make the trial account fee to level 60, people would come just to experience level 60 content only, since it would be free.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by billielecter View Post
    So we are in a half-free situation now.
    How on bloody earth did you manage to calculate:

box cost + subscription + microtransactions = half-free?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    And the software maintaining that process just fixes itself every time a patch breaks it, right? The computer it runs on automatically ensures it's always running the latest OS patches and incorporating the latest security updates. It also periodically upgrades itself as needed. Computers don't cost a dime, and that's why we all have dozens of them laying around.
    The first mount they put in their web store generated 2 million dollars in the first two hours. Those costs are nothing compared to what they make. Stop being so naive...

I'm glad they are making so much money! Blizzard gives us great games, and I want them to continue doing so.
    I can't wait until they give us the option of buying level 100 chars/gold!

Quote Originally Posted by evilman View Post
    I Googled it and saw that it was a game made in Korea and i stopped reading after that cause thats al i needed to know.
    Koreans can be crazy about their games so if the game is big in Korea then that amount of money isnt that strange.
    Ahhh Korea.

A place where you can go and create a game of great sub-par quality in which the players (this is the good part) come home form work to perform more work. While being wildly successful from nickle-and-dime schemes that plunder their actually hard earned cash!

And that is why I don't touch Korean games. Hell, I don't touch Asian-based MMOs period anymore. Even FFXIV has the symptoms of sorry ass support and strange 3rd party structuring which are prevailing features in products from that part of the world.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2014-01-22 at 01:22 PM.

Deleted
    World of Warcraft should never go F2P.

426.000.000 $ in 2013

WHAT?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    You're full of shit honey.

If they're going to sell things to the players through a shop, they need to give the players a way to get those items in game without paying.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smece View Post
    I never thought these numbers could be so huge.
    Is it finally time for WoW to go ftp?
    With 7 million active subscribers, this indicates $30 spent, on average per subscriber in a 1 year period.
    Subscriptions bring in $150 per subscriber in a 1 year period.