Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Garrosh Heirloom Confusion

I want to apologize in advance because my English skills aren't that great.

So I managed to snag my first heirloom off of Garrosh a week or so ago. The trouble is, I was in Frost specialization instead of Unholy, which gave me a one handed weapon when I was hoping for a two handed one. I've heard that every heirloom received after the first one is a random item, and not based on your class/spec and I realized I might not see the two handed one in time for WoD. I opened a ticket where a GM told me that he couldn't help me, but that the heirlooms always drop for your class/spec. Which is right here? Can anyone with multiple heirloom drops actually confirm if it's a random item or if it sticks to your class spec?

After the first one it's random, moonkin in my guild got a tanking shield after getting the int staff.

edit: though random does really mean random, we have a warlock who has gotten 2 int staffs and nothing else

I think it would be random otherwise you would get the same item everytime you downed Garrosh

As far as I know it's for your spec on the first kill, and random thereafter.

One of our Boomkin last night got the tanking shield heirloom from a flex run. So if you count a single anecdote as confirmed there you go.

10+ Year Old Account
    The first one you get is linked to your class/spec - others after the first one are random, someone please correct me if I am wrong
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

My shadow priest main got the Int staff first and last night I got the tank sword.

Deleted
    First one is always from your loot specialization so for example as a holy paladin I set it to ret and got a 2h weapon on my first drop. Second one is completely random.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure anyone knows for sure, i'm pretty positive your first is always something your class/spec can use but beyond that it varies(as a frost dk you are eligible for the 1h or 2h, while blood/unholy only get the 2h). On my lock i got a normal staff, then a heroic staff then a heroic OH all of which are viable for my class. On my monk I've seen only a 1h axe and nothing else so far.

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    --Bilbo Baggins
    Paarthurnax | Peijing

People have said this already, but they all seem unsure. I'm 100% sure it works like this:

Your first heirloom on each difficulty will be for your loot spec. For my rogue (set to Assassination), this was the dagger. For my hunter, this was the bow. After that, it's completely random. For example, I also have: 3 str 1hs, 1 tank shield, 1 agi polearm, and 1 int mace.

I've yet to get a heroic heirloom, but several of my guildies have and it's the same thing: first for your loot spec, completely random after that. This was also confirmed by a blue/twitter a long time ago, but I can't find the post.

The only aspect I'm unsure of is if you get an heirloom on a higher difficulty then a lower difficulty, is the weapon on the lower difficulty still guaranteed for your loot spec? (such as getting one on normal then on flex)

15+ Year Old Account
    ...or you could be like me and not received any damn heirloom yet. Screw Blizzard and their archaic loot system.
    "If I recall correctly I just posted that this topic is not to be discussed any further." -Ensidia Fanclub Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    The only aspect I'm unsure of is if you get an heirloom on a higher difficulty then a lower difficulty, is the weapon on the lower difficulty still guaranteed for your loot spec? (such as getting one on normal then on flex)
    They're supposed to be completely independent, regardless of which you clear first. My understanding, at least.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

My Windwalker monk got a twohand polearm while in WW spec/loot. So, I know your pain of potentially not getting the weapon you really needed before next xpac, it is random after the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Layuth View Post
    ...or you could be like me and not received any damn heirloom yet. Screw Blizzard and their archaic loot system.
    I got two the first few kills, and in the last like 7 weeks no one in my whole guild got anyway...it's really weird it can go from one week everyone gets one to two months of nothing.

And I believe it's loot specialization for the first drop honestly, I got the two handed staff as resto shaman, and then an agi polearm after that.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    As far as I know it's for your spec on the first kill, and random thereafter.
    Not quite. The first heirloom you get will be usable for your specialization at time of kill while all subsequent heirlooms are random for that particular difficulty. For example: you get an heirloom weapon from Flex Garrosh; all following Flex heirlooms will be random for that character but your first Normal and Heroic heirlooms will still be for the specialization you were in at time of kill for those respective difficulties.

You are not guaranteed a heirloom weapon on your first kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Velinedrel View Post
    My Windwalker monk got a twohand polearm while in WW spec/loot. So, I know your pain of potentially not getting the weapon you really needed before next xpac, it is random after the first.
    And WW uses 2h Agility weapons, what's the problem?

And WW uses 2h Agility weapons, what's the problem?[/QUOTE]

Problem would be that onehanders are far better for WW unless your onehanders are alot lower than a 2H upgrade

10+ Year Old Account
    My brother (Warlock) got the Stave and then the 2H axe the week after.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Don't know that much about this, but can say I'm en elemental shaman who got a sword, so not allways items that fit your specc

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    They're supposed to be completely independent, regardless of which you clear first. My understanding, at least.
    Correct. I've gotten 2 heirlooms, a caster staff followed by rogue dagger, on my main Mage on normal kills, and then got a heroic caster staff again on the first heroic Garrosh kill. The difficulties are independent, which is great. Sorry if I incite any hate from getting lucky with heirlooms, just wanted to confirm this is the case.
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2014-01-22 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Velor View Post
    I want to apologize in advance because my English skills aren't that great.

So I managed to snag my first heirloom off of Garrosh a week or so ago. The trouble is, I was in Frost specialization instead of Unholy, which gave me a one handed weapon when I was hoping for a two handed one. I've heard that every heirloom received after the first one is a random item, and not based on your class/spec and I realized I might not see the two handed one in time for WoD. I opened a ticket where a GM told me that he couldn't help me, but that the heirlooms always drop for your class/spec. Which is right here? Can anyone with multiple heirloom drops actually confirm if it's a random item or if it sticks to your class spec?
    It gets worse. I play a hunter. I was fortunate enough to get the normal mode BOA bow, which he's actually using right now. I also run Flex to get another attempt in at a BOA each week. Guess what dropped? The flex version of the bow. I guess if I ever need to level two level 90 hunters to 100 at once I'm covered?

I've also received a caster offhand (yay? I guess?) and the tanking shield, which I do appreciate quite a bit, both on normal difficulty.

So it definitely does not stick to your class or spec after the first drop, but does seem to repeat itself by difficulty which is truly unfortunate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    Correct. I've gotten 2 heirlooms, a caster staff followed by rogue dagger, on my main Mage on normal kills, and then got a heroic caster staff again on the first heroic Garrosh kill. The difficulties are independent, which is great. Sorry if I incite any hate from getting lucky with heirlooms, just wanted to confirm this is the case.
    Ha - it's only great when you're improving in quality.