Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

World of Logs is dead - why aren't more people moving to Warcraft logs?

So to start with, I am not affiliated with either site and this is not an attempt to flame WoL.
    Facts are facts though.

1.) World of Logs hasn't been updated in months. The only update that we received was to actually be able to upload logs (when fight detection log events were introduced).
    2.) Warcraftlogs is already functional and has a fantastic interface with tons of new functionality. Plus, they detect heroic fights all the way!
    3.) World of logs is incredibly buggy, with fight lengths, ranks, etc all having issues.
    4.) Warcraft logs has a few bugs too, but the developer is actively fixing them. There are updates every few days!
    5.) A *lot* of top heroic guilds are now uploading their logs to Warcraft logs, so the ranking data there is probably of a pretty high standard.

I don't understand though why people still upload their logs to world of logs? For some reason people still upload logs only to WoL and not to Warcraft logs.

People have been using WoL for years. It's going to take some time for guilds to move over. We've only recently begun to migrate our logging over to Warcraftlogs ourselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    People have been using WoL for years. It's going to take some time for guilds to move over. We've only recently begun to migrate our logging over to Warcraftlogs ourselves.
    I understand that, which is why, our guild does both. Both is understandable, but only WoL is confounding.

First time I've seen warcraft logs - colour me impressed, I'm making the switch.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Give it some time, it's still new and most people doesn't even know it exists, our guild switched to it also.

Deleted
    Their application is using Adobe Air, and while I'm not a fan of Adobe Air, it's miles better than WoL's java app.. ugh the horrors.
    Getting some bugs with wowcombatlog.txt cutting off in a few minutes but I guess that's not their fault.

The combat replays are very awesome as well. Was running advanced combat logging all night to play with it.

Was looking for a log with that enabled - it's just fantastic.

Link for those interested in the office Kitten's logs.
    I am the lucid dream

1) Combat Replay is window dressing. It's actually useless. Really. You will never use this thing. Ever. Are you really going to stop raid to review it? No. Are you really going to watch it over matching a log to a movie on youtube and watching critically? No.

2) World of Logs has two extremely powerful methods of log parsing and examining (expression editor, log browser), and equally as important is the expanded view of the boss's buffs casts / debuffs cast tab (and placing it on a timeline with stacks and then comparing that to players with the hashtags). Warcraft logs has nothing like this.

So really, that makes the decision really easy. Warcraft Logs has a snappy presentation, but lacks the actual most useful things in a log browser, which is effective means of figuring out what the boss is doing. As far as like, naively looking at DPS or heals... sure. But those are the most useless numbers in the game. If I want to know how many seconds there are between abilities, the frequency, the solution, and put it on a timeline... WL has nothing like that.

It's all flash, no substance. The WoL thing is a bunch of moaning from people who don't know how to use the thing and are obsessed with the fact there is no heroic detection on a couple of fights. But really that shit doesn't matter. It still has the same incredibly useful tools. Until WL has every single one of them - and I do mean every single one of the tools that allows us to dissect logs like a goddamn high school biology frog - it's a no sale for us.

Right now, it's the MacOS of log sites and nothing more.
    Last edited by Skroe; 2014-01-24 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Was looking for a log with that enabled - it's just fantastic.

Link for those interested in the office Kitten's logs.
    Holy crap, that's insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    1) Combat Replay is window dressing. It's actually useless. Really. You will never use this thing. Ever. Are you really going to stop raid to review it? No. Are you really going to watch it over matching a log to a movie on youtube and watching critically? No.
    WCL is still in Alpha stage, many things are missing. For example, the combat replay will show cast lines, so you can see what people are attacking. It's already useful to analyse positioning issues.

2) World of Logs has two extremely powerful methods of log parsing and examining (expression editor, log browser), and equally as important is the expanded view of the boss's buffs casts / debuffs cast tab (and placing it on a timeline with stacks and then comparing that to players with the hashtags). Warcraft logs has nothing like this.
    It does. It's called pins. Custom written expressions are not there yet, but you can do many things with the pins interface without the need to even learn some expression language syntax. Those pins can also be used to show debuff uptimes in the graph like with the WoL hashtag button.
    Learn how to use it here: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/help/pins

If you want to read more about what features are coming in the future, read the WCL main page. There was a news on the state of WCL recently.

For those that can see the benefit and ambition of a combat log replay, I might suggest http://www.phoenixstyle.com/CombatReplay.php as an in game alternative - still in early alpha, but shows some of the potential for a tool like this.
    I am the lucid dream

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    For those that can see the benefit and ambition of a combat log replay, I might suggest http://www.phoenixstyle.com/CombatReplay.php as an in game alternative - still in early alpha, but shows some of the potential for a tool like this.
    Thanks for that link. It looks very promising.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    It's all flash, no substance. The WoL thing is a bunch of moaning from people who don't know how to use the thing and are obsessed with the fact there is no heroic detection on a couple of fights. But really that shit doesn't matter. It still has the same incredibly useful tools. Until WL has every single one of them - and I do mean every single one of the tools that allows us to dissect logs like a goddamn high school biology frog - it's a no sale for us.

Right now, it's the MacOS of log sites and nothing more.
    Give me something like this on WoL.

Like have you even used the site for more than 1 min? Time between abilities? Have you even checked the casts tab?

Deleted
    We're using both atm, mainly warcraftlogs tho, sometimes wol isn't being uploaded.

does it have live upload so you can do a quick analysis between the wipes?
    edit: read up on it and apparently there is a client - haven't seen a download link on the page though... does anyone know where it is?
    Last edited by hlx; 2014-01-24 at 01:41 PM.

Deleted
    Click "Upload Log" to the right of the search field.

I have never been in the position where such a service has been useful, and so this is the first time I have heard of WarcraftLogs.
    Competition is rarely a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    This looks incredible. Competition is just the carrot WoL needs to improve.

I'll definitely be using Warcraft logs.

Using both at the moment, only found out about Warcraftlogs a couple of weeks ago. So far it's impressed me and I've been spreading the word to people I know in game.

It's going to take time, people are used to WoL and change is hard for a lot of people.