Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Human Female Model Feedback, Season 15 PvP gear, Blue Posts, Connected Realms, Art

Auto-Switching to Resource Spender, "Savior," the Diablo Rap by Have No Fear and the Space Bards, LastZoul's Fire Crusader

Weekly News Recap, Handbook: Game Basics, Community Spotlight DK Hero, ArenaValue

Human Female Model Feedback
    The new Human Female model was released on Thursday, and Bashiok took the opportunity to comment on some feedback and questions about system requirement changes.

Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    As we've said, we're looking to in essence update the original models, even though in actuality making them completely from scratch. Out goal is to keep the "spirit" of the originals, but increase poly count, texture resolution, and animation (to a pretty amazing effect, we think. What we're not looking to do is change what these characters are and what they've been. We already face a huge hurdle in that we're messing with what is the most iconic and personal part of the game - a person's character. A digital representation of themselves in the game world, even if if that representation is a giant cow-man. Way above and beyond anything else in the game, changing how someone looks is a monumentally delicate task. We want to keep the proportions as similar to the original models as possible, we're going to keep posture and silhouette close to the originals, but all just with a much higher level of detail. When you see your character it should still be your character, and these should still be representative of the player character models we've all been playing as for the past 9+ years.

It's really tempting to want to make major revisions, but someone chose to play a character largely because of the way they looked, and it has come to represent their in-game identity.

That's all well and good! But making her skinnier and more waifish, especially in WARcraft, seems like the wrong direction in which to have deviated.
    I would have to respectfully disagree that she deviates to any great degree from the original model when compared side-by-side, except that the proportions are slightly more full.

Here are the two shown in the preview without any alteration. - http://i.imgur.com/VaIphPC.gif

Ok well this is taking all sorts of weird turns, so I'll just close this thread by saying there's no commentary here on anything outside of the game, nor should there be. This is the original model launched with the game with more polygons, higher resolution textures, and better animations. That's our goal, and we think we're creating faithful reproductions of the originals.

My question is, do you have any idea at this time what that demand is going to be? I have signed up for Beta and my computer specs are listed there, but I also know that I get lag in raids and high graphic environments, like flying through heavily colored areas.
    We don't, and we tend not to have updated system requirements/recommendations until most content is in, most big changes and engineering are done, and we're looking like there isn't going to be anything else that would greatly affect performance. So we won't really know absolutely until some point through the beta. We're keenly aware of the system requirements the new character models may require, and how that could impact client performance. No further details yet on how they'll be supported on lower end systems, if at all.

Fun fact, the game still supports processors and graphics cards that were released over 8 years ago. To put that in other terms, modern day systems are in some cases 50x more powerful than the lowest end systems the game still supports. Moving us forward graphically in such a dramatic way with the new models is going to require a lot of testing, tweaking, optimizing, and determination of what we can realistically support going forward, but we just don't know what that will look like yet.

Would it be possible to include the old models as a option so that users with older computers can opt out if the new models do cause some frame-rate lag.
    That's of course something we've considered as a fail-safe, but again just don't know quite yet.

Season 15 PvP Gear
    Patch 5.4.7 updated the Season 15 gear to be item level 550, as well as switching the colors that the Horde and Alliance get.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    It probably goes without saying, but just in case: we'll be increasing Base Resilience and Battle Fatigue to keep things in line.

So what's next? 80%? 90%? 100%?Are just going to stand there and blink at each other?
    We totally agree that having Base Resilience and Battle Fatigue numbers so high is not an ideal experience. We don't like it either. We want to significantly lower, or possibly even remove them in Warlords.

Thing is, doing that requires a lot more underlying work to be done first. Health pools, ability scaling, mana regen... all of those need some pretty substantial adjustments. That's not something we'd consider doing mid-expansion, but in 6.0 (where we're already shrinking numbers down via the item squish), we can.

In the meantime, we want to be able to offer PvP'ers some new gear for the new season, and in order to do that, we need to tone damage and healing back a bit. We have to work within what we have currently available, and that means increasing Base Resilience and Battle Fatigue.

Are you going to tone down scaling with some classes? WW and rogues scale ridiculously well with agility and damage is insane right now. I know with the increase of resil it should help, but I feel like it's not going to be enough.
    We're definitely looking out for any balance changes that will be necessary. I don't have any specifics to share at the moment (we'll know more after we can get some testing in) but there will likely be some. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

I'm 50/50. I'm concerned that PvP gear will be much easier to get than equivalent PvE gear. But yet is indeed harder to acquire than timeless or LFR and should as such be better. I would vote for 540, which is flex level.
    It's important to remember that Flex gear can be upgraded to item level 548, and has extra advantages through things like sockets and set bonuses. We don't feel that the extra 2 item levels on Prideful pieces are going to make them more desirable for Flex raiders.

And yet non-arena gear remains the same. So my days of PVP for a bit are over. I have no desire to "Arena" or RBG. Yet I get screwed more and more for PVP
    If you're referring to Honor gear, as in previous seasons, we'll be making the last season's (Grievous) gear available for Honor. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Blue Posts
    Karazhan Crypt
    Oh yeah, I remember that! Haven't seen a screenshot in quite a while. Not sure I know the story on it but knowing our development processes back then there tended to be a lot more stuff made that we just didn't use. I can't imagine the game rating rumor is accurate, because if it was content we wanted to use we'd just take out the upside-down sinners or whatever the issue was and use it for whatever it was we wanted to do with that space. It's not like they're permanent fixtures. Fun rumor though! More likely we just changed our minds. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Tyrael's Charger as a Store Mount
    The regions are separate ecosystems, and availability of items within one region vs. another aren't usually particularly noteworthy because you're never going to see that player in Taiwan on your server with that rare item you got for logging in during some event, or got through that limited time promotion. We think it kind of sucks that a pet collector in Europe could never hope to get that China-exclusive Golden Pig pet from back in 2007, or that just because you live in a region with a different business model where the Annual Pass didn't make any sense, that you never had a chance to get a Tyrael's Charger. We definitely do not want to undermine the exclusivity of someone's mount or pet between them and their friends, or guild, or server, or region, but we think it makes a lot of sense to have equality of items ... not even their availability necessarily, but just their existing, throughout all regions. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Blue Tweets
    Art
    Speaking of holiday event rewards...any chance of a corgi vanity pet like the one in the Greench cave sometime in the future?
    Always a chance! Seems to be lots of enthusiasm for more dog breeds w/ both players & designers. (Dave_Maldo)

Warlords of Draenor Stats
    Will STR still add parry in WOD or not? Cause both AGI and INT increase crit right now.
    Currently, the plan is that yes, Str still gives Parry for Str-users. And Agi still gives Dodge for Agi-users. (Celestalon)

PvP
    But to clarify that statement, I think fiddling with DR's is like fiddling with core of arena. I'm afraid of results.
    You and me both, but we think it's the right move to make the game better. There will be challenges to overcome. (Source)

dampening imo was a bad fix, you can't tell me that there isn't a better fix that doesn't gimp a specific roll!
    One role prolongs a fight. One role ends it. We have to address one of them to avoid a stalemate. (holinka)
    a dmg buff would be recieved better then a massive FU healers debuff. It would let the healer contribute more offensively also
    I'm not sure about that. I think we'd just see a lot more "what hit me?!" complaints (holinka)

Any plan for a PvP version of Proving Grounds ? Something like arenas vs NPCs to learn the ropes ?
    I would love to do something like this. Not sure when/if we'll get to. (holinka)

Is necrotic strike affected by BF the same way heals are? If not what's the reasoning?
    Oh no, not this again. Necrotic strike is affected by Resilience because it is damage. It is not affected by Battle Fatigue. (holinka)
    I get damage being mitigated by res, but surely the heal absorb should be affected by BF? It has become OP as BF has increased
    No it should not be reduced by BF because it is not a heal. It is a damage spell. (holinka)

Please use the item squish to get rid of base res.Balance PvE numbers after PvP.Priorities are different but that would help alot!
    We dislike how large base resil and battle fatigue numbers have gotten too. Out goal is to reduce or eliminate both in Warlords. (holinka)

could we ever see a solo queue RBG group finder? i feel like it could use the in-game voice chat that never gets love
    You'll be able to use the Group Finder to find RBG groups. Like the idea of someone forming/running groups instead of queueing. (holinka)

World
    Have you tried making the world feel more alive? Dynamic instead of static? NPCs pacing around feels robotic and artificial.
    Yes. In fact, there might even be engineers experimenting w/ tech for that right now. Experimenting, mind you. Maybe. (Dave_Maldo)

EU Connected Realms Update - 23/01
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    The following realms are due to be connected next:

English Realms
    • (PvP) Xavius and Skullcrusher
    • (PvP) Auchindoun and Jaedenar

The following realms are scheduled to be connected after the realms above:

English Realms
    • (PvP) Dragonmaw and Haomarush
    • (PvP) Zenedar and Bladefist
    • (PvP) Deathwing and Karazhan/Lightning’s Blade

French Realms
    • (PvE) Krasus and Eitrigg

German Realms
    • (PvP) Blutkessel and Arthas/Vek’lor

US Connected Realms Update 1/23
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    As previously announced, we’ve been working toward connecting realms to increase the number of players on low-population realms, and since then have completed several connections. As a part of our ongoing communication, we wanted to provide you with an update that contains a list of completed realm connections, currently planned connections, and any additional future plans in one convenient location.

*Please note this list does not encompass all potential future connections. Please check back for further updates.

Future Connections
    We will be connecting the realms listed below on Thursday, January 30th during a scheduled maintenance beginning at 5 a.m. PST through approximately 1:00 p.m. PST. Once maintenance is finished, these realm connections will be complete.

• Alleria and Khadgar
    • Anvilmar and Undermine
    • Archimonde and Agamaggan/Jaedenar/The Underbog
    • Cho'gall and Auchindoun/Laughing Skull
    • Eitrigg and Shu'halo
    • Mok'Nathal and Silvermoon

We will be connecting the realms listed below on Thursday, February 6th during a scheduled maintenance beginning at 5 a.m. PST through approximately 1:00 p.m. PST. Once maintenance is finished, these realm connections will be complete.

• Hydraxis and Terenas
    • Kirin Tor and Steamwheedle Cartel
    • Shattered Halls and Executus/ Kalecgos
    • Thunderlord and Azgalor/Azshara/Destromath
    • Uther and Runetotem

We do not have a date for the following realm connections, but will update this post when we do.

• Alterac Mountains and Balnazzar/Gorgonash/The Forgotten Coast/ Warsong
    • Azjol-Nerub and Khaz Modan
    • Eldre’Thalas and Korialstrasz
    • Farstriders and Silverhand
    • Spinebreaker and Wildhammer

*Plans for these connections may change at any time, but we’ll provide additional updates on specific dates for future connections here as we can. Please note that as a part of the connection process realm times may change to match each other.

Blizzard Art Update
    Blizzard has added more pieces to the World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Art gallery.

Last edited by chaud; 2014-01-26 at 11:07 PM.

Saw Terenas on the connected realms list and nearly shit myself. Then realised it was the US list. Dammit.

It would be nice if npc's actually did more activities before you came in and just wreck face.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still waiting to see Drakkari-US ..... still waiting.... : (

Deleted
    God. I hope they don't take any complaints about the model revamps seriously. Last time they altered art because of fan feedback we got the worgen female model travesty.

Would it be possible to include the old models as a option so that users with older computers can opt out if the new models do cause some frame-rate lag.
    That's of course something we've considered as a fail-safe, but again just don't know quite yet.
    I really hope that's an option, kinda worried about how well my computer will perform. And yeah, some smart arse might comment about progress marching on and ask "why don't I upgrade", but as my disposable income is rather slender I can't justify buying a new system to continue playing 1 game. And as I've been playing WoW for 8 years, it'd be a shame to have to quit over something that could theoretically be an optional visual upgrade.

That's all well and good! But making her skinnier and more waifish, especially in WARcraft, seems like the wrong direction in which to have deviated.
    To say that is seriously just absurd. The models aren't skinnier, weak, or frail looking. In fact, she looks more toned than anything with those beautiful new textures.

But seriously, have World of Warcraft players got nothing better to do? Better pick something to complain about! The world would simply stop spinning and fall out of orbit if you could be content with anything.

Deleted
    I'd enjoy getting to keep my character's old model rather than having their new, shitty ones forced on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazeal View Post
    I'd enjoy getting to keep my character's old model rather than having their new, shitty ones forced on me.
    I know what you mean. I friend tried to give me a HD tv for xmas to replace the one I bought in the 80s. I told him to take that shit back before I broke it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still waiting on Sentinels to get connected. We were CRZ'd with the Steamweedle Cartel, but I've recently been told our battlegroup may've changed. IDK. I'm hopeful that SWC is a sign that they're close to connecting my server.

I tend to be pretty critical of most things blizz does these days, but I love the new models. I really think they have managed to retain the feel of the originals models while bringing them up to current visual standards. This was the big one for me, as my main since late BC is a human female. Two thumbs up! (Just keep them off the store!

I really hope they don't take the feedback too seriously. I love what they've done so far and am really excited to see my characters with these new looks.

Stay true to the path, Blizzard. Don't stray due to pressure from social justice warriors who are just a very loud and obnoxious minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazeal View Post
    Are you....are you being serious? Can't tell if trolling....

Not be rude but Blizzard honestly needs to knock off a few years of support for these lower-end machines, it's starting to get a little bit ridiculous. This constant need to cater to the entire honey-pot is getting old and ultimately holds back your product from excelling when the opportunity arises. It is likely why these model updates took so long to begin with. It shouldn't be a consideration to keep old models in the game at this point.

It is NOT horrendously expensive to upgrade your machine when you're that far back on your tech, not even close. You'd probably be actually pleasantly surprised how much power you can get by saving a little bit of money and buying anything that isn't the tippy-top end hardware. Do it a piece at a time. If you don't have the money for that, then you really need to find another hobby and I am wondering how you even manage the fifteen a month fee. @.@

Seriously, Blizzard, needs to stop catering to every last soul on the planet and focus themselves a bit. It's why their games as of late are feeling relatively weak save SCII.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Treno View Post
    I really hope they don't take the feedback too seriously. I love what they've done so far and am really excited to see my characters with these new looks.
    Last time they took negative feedback seriously we got the Worgen females as they are currently.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2014-01-27 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    Not be rude but Blizzard honestly needs to knock off a few years of support for these lower-end machines, it's starting to get a little bit ridiculous. This constant need to cater to the entire honey-pot is getting old and ultimately holds back your product from excelling when the opportunity arises. It is likely why these model updates took so long to begin with. It shouldn't be a consideration to keep old models in the game at this point.

It is NOT horrendously expensive to upgrade your machine when you're that far back on your tech, not even close. You'd probably be actually pleasantly surprised how much power you can get by saving a little bit of money and buying anything that isn't the tippy-top end hardware. Do it a piece at a time. If you don't have the money for that, then you really need to find another hobby and I am wondering how you even manage the fifteen a month fee. @.@

Seriously, Blizzard, needs to stop catering to every last soul on the planet and focus themselves a bit. It's why their games as of late are feeling relatively weak save SCII.

- - - Updated - - -

Last time they took negative feedback seriously we got the Worgen females as they are currently.
    You'd be surprised about the amount of WoW players that play with lower end PC's. Heck there's many, many WoW players who only play WoW and don't play other games, with many hardly knowing much more about gaming in general. I used to think such a statement would be ridiculous but now I'm meeting people like that all the time that run WoW on the lowest settings. I would not be surprised if they lost 15% of their player base with such a move.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Are you....are you being serious? Can't tell if trolling....
    Standard hater not even playing this game.
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    nazi is not the abbreviation of national socialism....
    When googling 4 letters is asking too much fact-checking.

Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    You'd be surprised about the amount of WoW players that play with lower end PC's. Heck there's many, many WoW players who only play WoW and don't play other games, with many hardly knowing much more about gaming in general. I used to think such a statement would be ridiculous but now I'm meeting people like that all the time that run WoW on the lowest settings. I would not be surprised if they lost 15% of their player base with such a move.
    It's better than keeping a bunch of people who really have no place gaming to begin with.

Not to sound like an elitist snob but they've had YEARS to catch up on things and invest a little bit of money. Even at fifty dollars a month, over several years, they could now have a very capable computer to play WoW maxed out with no problems and they wouldn't have to dread updates like this. Nor would they have bled themselves dry doing so in the process.

I just don't have sympathy for people who clearly are unwilling to invest and have been holding everyone else who ARE invested back all these years. Mind you I am not talking about the high-end computer gamers but the larger base in general that actually stays somewhat updated rather than utilizing a decade old computer because they actually CARE.

At some point you have to leave people behind if they aren't willing to deal with progress despite having all the time in the world to do so.

Man I wish people wouldn't waste their time asking stupid questions like "OMG you made her more waifish" when she has the exact same profile and if anything has better muscle definition than before, or "will this run on old PCs". For fuck's sake ask them something interesting like "how different will the new faces look from one another given the expressions are now controlled by the animation system which is universal to all faces" or "how far done is the human female animation set" or "when will we see a full 3d model on the WoD page" or "how long until the next model release".

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    It's better than keeping a bunch of people who really have no place gaming to begin with.

Not to sound like an elitist snob but they've had YEARS to catch up on things and invest a little bit of money. Even at fifty dollars a month, over several years, they could now have a very capable computer to play WoW maxed out with no problems and they wouldn't have to dread updates like this. Nor would they have bled themselves dry doing so in the process.

I just don't have sympathy for people who clearly are unwilling to invest and have been holding everyone else who ARE invested back all these years. Mind you I am not talking about the high-end computer gamers but the larger base in general that actually stays somewhat updated rather than utilizing a decade old computer because they actually CARE.

At some point you have to leave people behind if they aren't willing to deal with progress despite having all the time in the world to do so.
    But you do sound exactly like an elitist snob. I suspect you are the one in LFR wanting to kick anyone doing less than 100K dps who is there to gear up because you already geared up and forgot what it was like to be the lowbie. Surely you weren't the one wanting to kick my discipline priest for only doing 65K dps while I was healing? Blizzard is a business and doesn't want to alienate any customers by becoming a niche game for elitist snobs like you.